GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water in Footwell

asp87

Ready to race!
First things first, I didn't inspect the car as well as I should have before buying my used mkV. I got a little screwed on the deal but I learned my lesson and thankfully I'm mechanically inclined so I can fix it myself.

I've had water pooling in the passenger side front seat footwell pretty much since I've owned the car. It seems to come and go, but I'm not sure where it's coming in. After some searching, I couldn't find anything that told me 'yes, this is your problem, fix it, and be merry.'

The car has a moonroof, but all the drains seem to work properly. From reading about mkIV's, it seems like debris under the cowl could cause this, but I know our cars are set up a bit differently.

So... what should I do/check?

Last edited:

asp87

Ready to race!

asp87

Ready to race!
Interesting. I know the previous owner had a halfassed soundsystem in it, so that's a possibility. Thanks. Keep the ideas coming.

kwongo

will fly for food
maybe rust on the bottom of the car? i had an old car before that rusted through and would be damp all the time in the footwell

Tempted2Speed

is cooler than you
Car(s)
2007 GTI CW 6MT
If the windshield was replaced, it could be that it wasn't properly sealed

asp87

Ready to race!
maybe rust on the bottom of the car? i had an old car before that rusted through and would be damp all the time in the footwell
There's not an ounce of rust anywhere on the body...
If the windshield was replaced, it could be that it wasn't properly sealed
It was replaced, but less water comes in now than when with the old one.

It's raining pretty hard today... so maybe I'll be able to figure it out.

JKennedy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
If the previous owner had a subwoofer system in it then I can guarantee that its the gromit problem. cause the water that flows down from the windshield drains from that side well the gromit is located right underneath where the catch basin is.

asp87

Ready to race!
I haven't had a chance to check yet, but right now that's the most convincing argument. I plan on checking that over the weekend. The thing that gets me is that on the driver's side of the firewall I found a grommet that had a hole that had been poked through. When I did my soundsystem, I reused that same hole.

JKennedy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Yea I use that same hole for my boost gauge. The hole im talking about I used for my power to my amp. Well I sold that sound system and never got time to put the gromit back in, after a couple of weeks started to notice water in my passenger footwell. I put the gromit back in and solved all my problems.

asp87

Ready to race!
Presuming I don't have that grommet... Would it be a dealer part you think?

JKennedy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
To be honest I don't really know but it wouldn't hurt them to ask. You could always go to lowes or home depot and try to find one that is similar size...