GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installing H7 Bulbs

projekt.kieru

Inspired.
I know... use the search but I couldn't find something that suited my needs. Can someone please give me instructions or a DIY to installing H7 bulbs in the "flash too pass" lights? Thank you so much...

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M

20GLI08

Put em on the glass
Car(s)
GLI
i need a diy too..i saw this link but theres no say as to where to enter the bulbs? u gotta jack the car up?

Yes, yes you do.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
access to FTP bulbs

i need a diy too..i saw this link but theres no say as to where to enter the bulbs? u gotta jack the car up?
I think you may be overcomplicating this.
We are talking about the Flash to Pass halogen lights on factory HID fixtures, right?

I have never done it myself, but from the referenced post,
I assumed you just pull the rubber cap on the back ...
But you know what they say when you ass-u-me :biggrin:

Anyway, some pictures on the topic ...

FTP bulb access, rubber cap removed - left side

FTP socket and hold down clip as seen through rear access port, bulb is obscured by the socket

From the referenced post, I thought you just
reach inside and release the wire clip to remove the bulb and socket,
(the two red arrows mark the hooks the clip locks into)
then unclip the socket.
No tools required. (Recommend gloves to protect the bulbs from contamination).

Someone correct me ...

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
i just read this and tried to unclip the clips but i cant figure it out, im scared to break something =(
I guess if you have never worked with that type of bulb mounting before, it could be difficult.
I have been working with various projection systems for all of my adult life,
so that type of bulb hold down is nothing new to me.
That said, working in those tight confines looks challenging, but not impossible.

R U DTF

Banned
^^ Told you that this steve kid was a tool. How many tards does it take to replace a light bulb??

steve? wtf?:iono:

I guess if you have never worked with that type of bulb mounting before, it could be difficult.
I have been working with various projection systems for all of my adult life,
so that type of bulb hold down is nothing new to me.
That said, working in those tight confines looks challenging, but not impossible.

yeah, i just dont wanna break anything. do i have to remove my intake completely to do the driver side?

heres a pic of both sides. the pass side i think i could do i just dont know how to unclip the clips? the driver side has my intake in the way....?

Attachments

• Photo0590G.jpg
    Photo0590G.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 4,362
  • Photo0589J.jpg
    Photo0589J.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 4,336

R U DTF

Banned
i got the clips unclipped (see RED CIRCLE). it felt that it was three quarters off but was attached somewhere else. felt like the top part?

Attachments

• headlight_fixture-under_hood-FTP-bulb_access-left-close_up-annotated.jpg
    headlight_fixture-under_hood-FTP-bulb_access-left-close_up-annotated.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 4,304

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
Just unclip the clips, then back out the bulb as far as you can until it binds with the clip. Then rotate the bulb assembly until you can slowly back it out through that clip. The clip needs to be in an almost 75 degree angle when you will be able to rotate the bulb assembly through the clip and out. Took me a few tries as well, but after analyzing how the clip held the assembly in place, it was easy to figure out how to wedge it out of there. Just keep working at it, don't be afraid of it or you will break something.

R U DTF

Banned
Just unclip the clips, then back out the bulb as far as you can until it binds with the clip. Then rotate the bulb assembly until you can slowly back it out through that clip. The clip needs to be in an almost 75 degree angle when you will be able to rotate the bulb assembly through the clip and out. Took me a few tries as well, but after analyzing how the clip held the assembly in place, it was easy to figure out how to wedge it out of there. Just keep working at it, don't be afraid of it or you will break something.

done! thank you! now, as far as these bulbs, i have only seen them at night, and u can hardly tell with them at night....i didnt know my FTP's dont light up? do u need vag come for that? i thought the hi beams are my ftp bulbs?

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
Your FTP only work with your headlights off, and even then they only turn on when you flash your highbeams. I had mine vag-commed to turn on with my headlights during the night (a.k.a. The 6 light mod), and I have to say, It's like daylight. But yeah for now they will function as normally. You have to find someone with a vagcom to do the six light mod.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M