Rear Fk Coilover Install

timebomb0220

Taxi GLI
Car(s)
Jetta GLI
right now my rears have the fk's installed. how its sitting is:

Spring
Perch
Control Arm(perch is screw into control arm)

But do ajust its qutie annoying have to take out the perch to ajust it cause its sitting in the control arm. I was told if i take the perch and spring and just filp them that perch could sit up top and its a lot easyer to ajust. Im just alittle confused on how the prech sits there witht he spring safely without moving. since before it was screwed into the control arm and if i filp it it just kind of sits there with the weight of the car pushing on it. is this safe and better? or dumb.

jrbrownie00

Go Kart Champion
right now my rears have the fk's installed. how its sitting is:

Spring
Perch
Control Arm(perch is screw into control arm)

But do ajust its qutie annoying have to take out the perch to ajust it cause its sitting in the control arm. I was told if i take the perch and spring and just filp them that perch could sit up top and its a lot easyer to ajust. Im just alittle confused on how the prech sits there witht he spring safely without moving. since before it was screwed into the control arm and if i filp it it just kind of sits there with the weight of the car pushing on it. is this safe and better? or dumb.

ive had mine both ways and noticed no difference.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
THIS

TheJakofallTrads

Car-less
Car(s)
Audi RS3
What I meant was, put the adjuster on top so you can get to it!

:biggrin: my bad

FK rear perches are meant be bolted into the control arm and the spring should be mounted with the writing upside down, dead coils up.

^ That's the correct install. Rubber isolater, spring with dead coils up top, perch, control arm, washer under control arm, bolt through control arm into perch. It makes for tougher adjustment, but that's how they're designed to work and is arguably "safer" than mounting things the opposite way.

GTIWV

WV VW
i was gonna do it like that, but i decided not to. i might switch it around in the spring when i lower the rear more

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
FK rear perches are meant be bolted into the control arm and the spring should be mounted with the writing upside down, dead coils up.

^ That's the correct install. Rubber isolater, spring with dead coils up top, perch, control arm, washer under control arm, bolt through control arm into perch. It makes for tougher adjustment, but that's how they're designed to work and is arguably "safer" than mounting things the opposite way.

Ah, that picture tells me a lot! Thanks Jak!

Here is what I see:

FK saved $ by not having to specially manufacture (as Koni did) a spring that fits into the factory spring provision slot. (see pic below) Since it is simpler (less expensive) to produce a spring designed to be installed on a flat surface, they put the adjuster on the bottom (secured by a bolt & washer so it does not move) It comes at the end user's cost of more time to adjust and a better chance of debris/moisture collecting down there. Benefit, though, is that it allows for a wider variety of springs to be used.

I like Koni's design for quick & easy adjustment, I like FK's design for the ability to use a wider variety of springs.

Good to know.

:cool:

Voyles2

Twisty champ
Car(s)
R
No matter which way you have them, you'll still have to drop the control arm to adjust the height. I have my top to bottom- perch, spring, control arm. I took that rubber isolator thing out.

Profoxcg

I am researching different coilovers and I was wondering, what happens if you install the springs with out the perch using the stock rubber pads.

how excatly to you bold the spring perches onto the lower arm. Do you have to remove the rubber spring seat completly?