GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jacking Points

absence

___liminal
___but heres a puzzle

figure out how to jack up at the pinch welds....

....and then place jack stands

at the pinch welds

(scratches head)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
No problem then. I jacked up my MKIV all of the time. I know what the spots are. The only issue I ever had was getting the head of jack over far enough on the weld to allow the jackstand to share it. You can't help but see where to jack it up - there's a shallow spot and it's right behind the triangle indentation on the rocker panel.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
___but heres a puzzle

figure out how to jack up at the pinch welds....

....and then place jack stands

at the pinch welds

(scratches head)

I CAN DO THIS TOO! You people are making this way to hard. The pinch weld is long enough to get the jack on, and place the jack stand right next to the jack.

Chris@RT

Banned
jack up the car by the pinch weld and put the jack stand where the control arms mount to the subframe in the front and the cup for it in the rear.

best spot for it long or short term as it is meant to hold the weight of the vehicle there.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
jack up the car by the pinch weld and put the jack stand where the control arms mount to the subframe in the front and the cup for it in the rear.

best spot for it long or short term as it is meant to hold the weight of the vehicle there.

Unless you plan to install suspension parts because that would load the suspension.

maxgtiturbo

Banned
One time my friend car fell off the Jack lol took 9 people to lift it high enough to get it back up

Chris@RT

Banned
Unless you plan to install suspension parts because that would load the suspension.

I've done plenty and done it that way it doesn't load the suspension at all. The only way you'd load the suspension is if you had it on a moving suspension part which if you do that is not really safe.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
I guess I was thinking the jack stand was at the distal end of the control arm and not the proximal end. I used to do it that way on my Jeep, but it had solid axels and you could pretty much put that jack stands where ever.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
GTI lifting with floor jack / jack stands

there are a few threads on this topic already ... jack points? - Jacking up car? - Jacking up the MK5 Gti

x2

and when you jack it up by the front jack point / pinch weld,
the rear will lift high enough to slide the rear jack stand in place at the stock jack point too.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
I thought I read somewhere where the plastic rocker trim would interfere with a floor jack.

False.
ok, possibly with some jack designs, but most should be no problem.
The jack plate is inboard far enough the jack lifting pad will clear the plastic rocker trim.
The plate is tall enough the jack lifting pad will not contact the inboard plastic bits covering the underside of the floor either.
The lifting pad is only making contact with the extended doubled jack plate designed for single point lifting.

Same for the jack stand on the rear jack point, it is only making contact with the jack plate.

The third and sixth pictures in my post above provide additional views of the floor jack lifting pad clearance.

The second picture in my above post may be deceiving due to the high camera angle.
The pad is not making contact with the side skirt.

BTW Once I am in the air on all four stands, I always push on all four sides of the car before climbing under it.
Settles a jack stand occasionally. :eyebulge:
Otherwise, they will tend to settle when you put some force into a wrench, etc.:yikes: