GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another cam follower replacement

apollosfury

designeddwk
So after reading all the horror stories about cam follower issues and having some fuel cuts myself, i decided to change my cam follower. For those of you who have been considering it, but are hesitant, i encourage that you try it so long as you have the proper tools. It took me about an hour and half of that time was spent fetching tools i forgot (t-27). I've put up pictures of the cam followers to aid in the information available on this forum. the mileage when i did this was ~40200.

New follower on the left, old follower on the right.

Old follower detail

Inside of the old follower

Now this made me have some questions....Look closely at this image. notice the "banding" around the sides of the original follower. not sure what caused this but i don't recall seeing it on any of the other cam follower threads. Anyone have any ideas?:iono:

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

oh and for those of you not aware, i followed the DIY in this vortex thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3750088

Edit: checked my cam this afternoon too. turns out i have the 'B' revision.

Last edited:

apollosfury

designeddwk

apollosfury

designeddwk
yeah, the cam looked alright. nothing that stood out to me to cause concern.

Skim Diesel

Go Kart Champion
quick question - how did you relieve the fuel pressure before removing the pump? Just depressed the valve or did you need to do anything else?

dorn101

Jai Guru Deva Om
quick question - how did you relieve the fuel pressure before removing the pump? Just depressed the valve or did you need to do anything else?

I put a rag on top of my screw driver and pushed the bleeder valve, waited a minute then did it again. Keep the rag(s) underneath when you're removing the pump.

apollosfury

designeddwk

i just put an old t-shirt under the pump and as close to the valve as possible then pushed in with a screwdriver. did it a couple of times just to be safe. left the rag there too. glad i did because when you undo the metal hose on the bottom, that leaks too.

how often do you change your oil

every 5k. been about 1k since i got it changed.

MDgti08

Go Kart Champion
just took my cam follower out and it looks identical to yours. silver all in the center and black around the sides. im going to order 1 today.

piston

Options
The DLC coating wearing down quickly seems to be a common theme and is deemed "normal" according to the Audi TSB.

It's like if the DLC coating wears down so quickly, why even bother coating the CF.
Isn't the DLC coating supposed to be resistant to harsh contact and provide a smooth tappet contact for the CF.
Once it wears out, it's metal on metal contact with the CAM and CF.

apollosfury

designeddwk
just took my cam follower out and it looks identical to yours. silver all in the center and black around the sides. im going to order 1 today.

dealerships were quoting me around $70 for the CF, i got mine from ECS for 51.xx + shipping.

DivineStrike

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 Black Magic GTI
i so need to check this...just haven't been able to get around to it, I'm at around the same mileage. Previous owner stage1'd it basically when he got it. been stage 2 for probly almost 20k