GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

p0299; Boost Leak; NOT my DV

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't be so sure its not your DV. Even if it were leaking a little boost it might still make a blow-off sound when it goes from closed but torn to fully open. A pressure test is also not going to check your DV, because both sides of the DV will be in the test (if you compress at the turbo inlet). Just eliminate that as a possibility by pulling it out and doing a visual.

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
alright, pain in my ass pulling that thing every 2 weeks.

specially since i broke the solenoid clip and have it held on w/ high temp aluminum tape. means i have to retape it :cry:

if this is my DV though, i'll buy everyone a bagel.

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
i'm going out to smoke a butt, i'll take a picture.

but DB i can't take the thing out it took like 3 minutes to stuff it in there and getting it out will be even harder. which means it's reallly sealed.

but i am going back to the hardware store tomorrow for another, just in case this one pops out or something, i'll get some details on it.

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
here ya go. is what i have pictured in the second/third shot my rear pcv?

looks like it's got 1 time clips. those things are super bitches.

Attachments

• DSC02188.JPG
    DSC02188.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 7,575
  • DSC02189.JPG
    DSC02189.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 3,109
  • DSC02190.JPG
    DSC02190.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 3,570

njfast07

Go Kart Champion
mose how did u fix this problem i just got p0299 last night.. is there any chance its my wastegate?

bumping this thread, interested as well. mose, how did you fix this problem? I just threw this code. It could be the dv, but just in case it isn't, what should I expect?

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
for some reason i'm blowing my G diverter valves without putting a hole in them.

haven't fixed my boost problem as a whole. still only hitting 19-20, no more 23 psi peaks... no more peaking in general.

anyway i replaced my G dv with another G dv and gained a couple lbs of boost back. changed my plugs too after. feels a bit better. i have no idea what's going on, but it appears as though the diaphragm on the G's deteriorates from heat/oil/high pressure without tearing....... i don't know exactly what's going on but this is the second time this has happened to me.

so far i haven't thrown the code again but i seem to be one of those people who infamously begins losing boost. either that, or my boost gauge is performing differently the more it's used. i can assume that's possible, as the needle used to tremble under part throttle. now it sits in 1 spot til i boost less or more, and moves in sync with my foot on the gas.

very weird boost gauge i have to say.

anyway i still gotta do my valve cover, it sucks being poor, i keep putting off the purchase of a new one. we'll see if i recover my lost 1-2 lbs of boost.