GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rainbow vs Focal vs MB Quart vs Hertz

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
On one of my other sites a gent recently bought some MB Quart and in ginormous letters on the box it said Made in Germany, I'd look into it a bit more to find out if they're made in India or not.

As for as good as they used to be, from what I've read between here and a couple other forums no. But they're coming back.

Redcloud

Ready to race!
I really doubt a 2 way setup in the stock locations will give good imaging because the tweeter is in the mirror pod and the midbass at your hip. I would definately go with a 3 way setup to get the mids as far forward and up as possible. I would then narrow down 3 way setups to the one that has the lowest crossover between the mid and midbass so again to keep voices forward. I dont know of any inexpensive solutions. For my money, the best OEM location solution is the rather expensive Hybrid Audio drivers. While entailing a bit of work, some have fit the Hybrid 4" driver in the oem location and then the 8" driver in the midbass location. This way, you can run the mid all the way down to around 250hz without a problem and you keep the image forward.

Another option is to go 2 way with a custom door pod to put the midbass where it should be. Of course, this is a lot of work too.

Some people have used the Focal 3 way setup and have been happy, while others have pieced together less expensive combos in a more DIY way by picking raw drivers from such places as www.madisound.com.

Sorry, but there is no easy solution. From the 3 brands you list, I have a personal preference for the Hertz lines, but to each his own. Good luck.

I just ordered a set of Hertz hsk163 for my R32 for 550.00 USD from the Mobile Sounds Systems located in Arlington, Texas. When they arrive I am having them put them in along with my 5 channel MTX amp, Eclipse 7200 and Diamond D610 in a ported box. When I was looking I was considering 3 brands. Hertz HSK163, Morel Dotech 6.5 2 way and Focal 165 v3. I personally thought the Hertz sounded the best. The Focals sounded good but were a bit to metallic for my taste. The Morel sounded good as well but the Hertz just had a warmer sound. More mid bass I think. Once I get them put in I will post on how they sound.

Last edited:

fed1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 GLI
I just ordered a set of Hertz hsk163 for my R32 for 550.00 USD from the Mobile Sounds Systems located in Arlington, Texas. When the arrive I am having them put them in along with my 5 channel MTX amp, Eclipse 7200 and Diamond D610 in a ported box. When I was looking I was considering 3 brands. Hertz HSK163, Morel Dotech 6.5 2 way and Focal 165 v3. I personally thought the Hertz sounded the best. The Focals sounded good but were a bit to metallic for my taste. The Morel sounded good as well but the Hertz just had a warmer sound. More mid bass I think. Once I get them put in I will post on how they sound.

That's exactly what I thought about the Hertz. Mine arrive next week!

Let me know how the install goes. I am looking at building pods for the mid and tweet and seeing what locations sounds the best before final decisions.

Redcloud

Ready to race!
That's exactly what I thought about the Hertz. Mine arrive next week!

Let me know how the install goes. I am looking at building pods for the mid and tweet and seeing what locations sounds the best before final decisions.

Got my speakers put in and they sound amazing. I have a five channel amp and the installer tried to bridge the 4 channels into 2 to power the front speakers but my amp kept going into protection. They said the ohm load was only 4 ohms so not sure what is going on there. I am running it with 3 of the five channels. I am talking with the shop owner about putting the hsk165 in the rears and activating the other two channels.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Hey Redcloud sounds like you are happy with the Hertz hsk163. Did they mount in the factory locations? I have the Dyns, but not sure if i can tune them to what i want, sounding a bit too laid back and not enough impact. Shame the K3P dont fit in the stock locations (i think) as they wouldn't hve been too bad.