GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

XM vs. Sirius

atomoverride

Ruler of Omicron Persei 8
BillyInLasVegas said:
Ok, this part is pure ignorance, SIRIUS has always had 3 satellites in orbit and a large network of repeater stations, and unlike XM they have backup satellites ready to launch in case something should happen to one of the satellites in orbit.

Also SIRIUS is still commercial free unlike XM and you can listen to SIRIUS online without having to pay extra like XM.

And if you doubt any of this info go to their website and download their annual report. I'm a stockholder so I have a copy of it in my hands.

Go with SIRIUS.
WHOA way to attack, you really know how to make a guy feel welcome. Sorry to hear about your stock. Hope it goes well. XM has gained over Sirus over the past few years. and not till reciently did sirus really make an impact. I see far more XM READY radios, vs. SIRUS ready. but hey thats just me.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Sirius Radio Automobile Partners
Aston Martin
Audi
BMW
Chrysler
Daimler Chrysler
Dodge
Ford
Jeep
Lincoln
Mazda
Mercedes Benz
Mercury

XM Radio Automobile Partners
General Motors
Freightliner
Buick
Cadillac
Chevy Trucks
Saab

And GM has been quoted saying they wish they hadn't signed an exclusive deal with XM, as Sirius seems to be gaining ground fast.

HOWARD RULES!!!:headbang:

atomoverride said:
WHOA way to attack, you really know how to make a guy feel welcome. Sorry to hear about your stock. Hope it goes well. XM has gained over Sirus over the past few years. and not till reciently did sirus really make an impact. I see far more XM READY radios, vs. SIRUS ready. but hey thats just me.

BillyInLasVegas

Passed Driver's Ed
atomoverride said:
Not an attack, just stating the facts.
By the way the stock is going well, got it in the high 2's after Stern made his announcement.
XM has more subscribers, but they've also been around longer. Anyway Sirius is currently outselling XM 2 to 1 and in the last year and a half they trippled subscribers.
So it all comes down to content differences. As far as coverage area and signal quality they are very similar.

atomoverride

Ruler of Omicron Persei 8
BillyInLasVegas said:
Not an attack, just stating the facts.
By the way the stock is going well, got it in the high 2's after Stern made his announcement.
XM has more subscribers, but they've also been around longer. Anyway Sirius is currently outselling XM 2 to 1 and in the last year and a half they trippled subscribers.
So it all comes down to content differences. As far as coverage area and signal quality they are very similar.
WTF? Sirus came out a LONG ass time ago, it wasnt till XM came along that sirus had to catch up. Also the only reason Sirus has been stomping XM right now is because of that new portable walkman thingie, that thing TOTALY rocks. I have to say that is worth it alone, but XM has been good to me. And I love the stations.

Oh and by the way I went to the sirius website, wow no matter what I clicked nothing opened or worked. Hmmm.

I will agree that sirus is good for what content you are looking for. But XM has some real nice content as well. I guess with sat radio and color, its just a choice that people are going to have to make on thier own.:wub:

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
I've listened to both and they really both sound the same and seem to offer the same content in my opinion. I've done the free online trials of both to get a feel for the stations and stuff, and honostly they sound much the same. I'd imagine the biggest thing that swings people to one over the other is the special programming on them, ie. Howard Stern on Sirius. Other than that, they're alike for the most part. Just my 2 cents.

BillyInLasVegas

Passed Driver's Ed
atomoverride said:
WTF? Sirus came out a LONG ass time ago, it wasnt till XM came along that sirus had to catch up. Also the only reason Sirus has been stomping XM right now is because of that new portable walkman thingie, that thing TOTALY rocks. I have to say that is worth it alone, but XM has been good to me. And I love the stations.

Oh and by the way I went to the sirius website, wow no matter what I clicked nothing opened or worked. Hmmm.

I will agree that sirus is good for what content you are looking for. But XM has some real nice content as well. I guess with sat radio and color, its just a choice that people are going to have to make on thier own.:wub:
Hmm...
How can I word this.
Ok, XM went nationwide on 2001, Sirius didn't launch nationwide service until 2002.
Anyway, that's how this whole mess got started, just don't state your opinions as facts.
I'm done with this discussion, before this turns into the Manual vs. DSG thread.
Enjoy your XM I'm going with Sirius.:cool:

GoghVW

Rabbit Transit
Sirius Satellite in exclusive deals with Audi, VW

March 17, 2006 10:45:38 (ET)

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. (SIRI,Trade) will be the exclusive provider of the pay-radio service to automaker Volkswagen AG's ((VOWG.DE)) namesake brand and its premium Audi AG ((NSUG.DE)) affiliate, starting with the 2007 model year, the companies said on Friday.

Sirius, No. 2 in the nascent nationwide radio market to XM Satellite Radio Inc. (XMSR,Trade), said Audi had previously offered both services. Audi, in a separate statement, said it selected Sirius to reduce complexity in dealer ordering.

Both Audi and Volkwagen will offer Sirius through 2012.

Volkswagen, the world's fourth-largest carmaker, expects to equip about 80 percent of its vehicles with Sirius radio receivers.

Volkswagen will offer customers three complimentary months of Sirius radio. After that introductory period ends, consumers can chose to continue the service, which typically costs about $13 a month.

Shares of Sirius climbed 3.6 percent to $4.67 on Friday on Nasdaq, while XM shares slipped 2 percent to $19.76.

© Copyright 2001 - 2006 Reuters. Click Here for Limitations and Restrictions on Use.

mazda2vw

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Get XM while you can

In a (in my opinion) very stupid move, VW is signing on to exclusively offer Sirius beginning with the 2007 model year. I LOVED the ideat that VW/Audi was one of the few automakers to offer a choice of networks. I saw it as a "freedom of choice" issue. Personally, I have XM because they were first, and they are "the home team" for me, living in the DC area. Apparently VW, in their ongoing effort to "consolidate offerings" doesn't care about offering their customers choices anymore. They will cease to offer XM as an option in the near future. Too bad. :iono:

I never knew that choice was such a horrible thing. I never liked the "one size fits all" packaging of Japanese cars, but it looks like that is the direction in which VW has embraced. Is this what "competition" has wrought? I realize that it makes manufacturing a car less expensive, but from a consumer standpoint, I think it stinks.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
mazda2vw said:
In a (in my opinion) very stupid move, VW is signing on to exclusively offer Sirius beginning with the 2007 model year. I LOVED the ideat that VW/Audi was one of the few automakers to offer a choice of networks. I saw it as a "freedom of choice" issue. Personally, I have XM because they were first, and they are "the home team" for me, living in the DC area. Apparently VW, in their ongoing effort to "consolidate offerings" doesn't care about offering their customers choices anymore. They will cease to offer XM as an option in the near future. Too bad. :iono:

I never knew that choice was such a horrible thing. I never liked the "one size fits all" packaging of Japanese cars, but it looks like that is the direction in which VW has embraced. Is this what "competition" has wrought? I realize that it makes manufacturing a car less expensive, but from a consumer standpoint, I think it stinks.

you have a point regarding the "freedom to choose" issue. HOWever with the recent release of statistics pointing to Sirius as a 2 to 1 favorite, it doesn't seem like a stupid business move. Plus you can still choose stick or auto, leather or cloth, and satelite radio vs regular radio. I bet they'll manufacture a bunch of cars with NO satellite and they'll be cheaper; so you can install XM if you want.

VIVA LA BETO

Ready to race!
Gulfer said:
Ok, i'm going to go put in an order for the car soon and i'm going to try out sat-radio for once in my life :) :) But I really don't know much about the two beyond their advertising and that howard is on sirius (nice bonus :). Anyone have one or the other and can recommend it or bash on it ? Any advice is much appreciated!

I have both and XM sound suck in the other hand SIRIUOS has better sound quality. Now i want to change to SRIUS. And There its a fact SIRIUOSLY SIRIUS has more music playing than XMRADIO i am bored.
I had to use this to increase the quality sound in my Alpine because XM signal via FM sucks.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Any sat signal via FM sucks. Go direct always!!