GOLFMKV

Questions for those who've installed new intakes

mx493tony

Car(s)
VW
not with an evoms...

BinaryPie

Moar Fast!
Interesting that is is yes or no. I wonder what this does to airflow.

Anyone willing to do the opposite of what they are told to do in the instructions to see what happens? If anything.

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit
Mine is still there after my K&N was put on. Its designed to work with the heat shields and direct airflow into the cone.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Car(s)
89, 97 Jetta, 07 GTI
Running the EvoMS, I feel like the filter placement isn't ideal - any airflow from the front duct is missed completely. Directed away from the filter if anything.

thez19

GITEE Up N Go!!
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
The evoms filter placement is more of an in between, between a short ram, and CAI. But its not all the way down by the fog light. I think its the most ideal, its farthest from the engine without being a CAI, the air from the oem scoop still flows down to the filter as well as air coming up from the bottom, hence open fog grills as a plus with evoms intake :thumbsup:

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Car(s)
89, 97 Jetta, 07 GTI
The evoms filter placement is more of an in between, between a short ram, and CAI. But its not all the way down by the fog light. I think its the most ideal, its farthest from the engine without being a CAI, the air from the oem scoop still flows down to the filter as well as air coming up from the bottom, hence open fog grills as a plus with evoms intake :thumbsup:

Right - the isolation makes sense. Kind of converts the scoop from an intake-air scoop to an air-that's-blowing-hot-stuff-away-from-the-engine scoop .. which, I guess, is creative.

Wish it didn't sit right up against the headlight like that though. Can't be good when the engine gets rocking.

hillstrubl

Out driving Mieke...
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf GTI SE
what about routing a Plastic pipe 3-4" in diameter from right next to the drivers side (LHD) fog lamp (after dremeling that part of the lower airdam's honeycomb out to match the diameter of the pipe behind it) to the intake tube next to the factory airbox. Basically instead of the factory intake tube U'ing up to pull from where the hood meets the grill, U'ing it down to meet this new intake tube. You'd only need about 2' or so of inexpensive plastic tubing and some zipties to hold it in place. I speculate that the air coming in will be much cooler than when pulling right next to the (by definition) hot radiator, and is easily reversible.
thoughts?

importrepairguy

Head Breast Examiner
AFE Relaces the factory plastic crap w/ a metal divertor plate to send the cool outside air to the filter on the stick. Very much utilizing what the Vdub engineer's designed it for.

L0UD0G

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2012 BMW 328i Sport
Does having the open foglight grill really make any difference with the EVOMS intake or is it purely cosmetic?