GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Top speeds...

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I apologize if this has already been a thread here. I haven't looked it up. But I was wondering what top speeds were as to date. I took mine around 123 to 124 mph on the third day I owned it. That's the fastest it's been. Also, is there a chip or something you can do to take the gorvernor limiter out of it so it doesn't top out at 130 or is that about all it has left?

givenuponsociety

Autocross Newbie
wow.....120's on the third day? that takes balls and a serious amount of disrespect for the new car.....you have to baby a new car.....i had mine 110 after about 2 or 3 weeks and about 1000 miles on the odo, but havent even hit a buck since.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
been there done that...its not as bad people make it out to be...its not disrespecting your car

when i bought my 2000 civic Si...that same night i took it out to the street races and did a top end run...with 34 miles on my car i got the car to 130...and since then the car has been close to 145...and still to this day the car runs like a champ...never had a single problem

Now tomorrow(err today!)i take delivery of my GTI...and u better believe that the car will see atleast 100mph if not more in its first day in my hands...i just dont believe in breaking in new cars...being most of the new car companies test drive their cars before they send em out anyways

LonestarMKV

Drag Racing Champion
I say your spending your money if you want to risk it and run it hard thats your buisness but I believe in protecting my investment so I get a long time of enjoyment I would rather take it easy for a little while then take a chance of something going wrong
my .02

mines going to be a company car so that will be driven like I've stolen it from day 1:thumbsup:

My girl friend has a Polo 1.9 TDI and that will sit at 125 mph easily so I think the GTI should p*ss on this:cool:

In fact when I test drove the GTI I did 120 mph down a slip road onto a dual carriage way..... get a grip lads your obviously not driving your GTI's hard enough:wink:

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Dirty Pucka said:
get a grip lads your obviously not driving your GTI's hard enough:wink:
I'd agree. Plus I'm one of those riders who is a firm believer in a fast break in period. Ususally every forum has this subject somewhere. I know all the motorcycle ones I visit also talk about this. So did the civic. Your break in is actually reported by some to be better for the car if you run it hard. They even have pics of proof. But hey, to each his own. Just don't say I didn't tell you so.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I found the article here as well. It's in the Engine's thread and it's titled interesting break in article. Check it out.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
VW recommends you break in the vehicle by not applying more than 3/4 power for the first 1k miles or so.

I've found that the engine opens up significantly after 1600 or so miles, so under that you will most likely not reach top speed.
After 27k miles now, I will tell you that the top speed is above what the manufacturer claims (and this has been independantly verified by a GPS speed unit).

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I had mine up to 120 and climbing the other day. Since it was raining out (I wanted to test the wipers and see if they are as good as they claim) I decided to slow back down. The car handles amazingly well at high speeds. I have about 670 miles on the car by the way.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
cmdrfire said:
VW recommends you break in the vehicle by not applying more than 3/4 power for the first 1k miles or so.

).
I don't believe in the VW break in recommendations. But that's a whole different debate. I have my reasons for this. Seems a few other riders here know what I'm talking about.

As for 140 mph....I thought the GTI only went 130? Is the speedo that inaccurate? I wouldn't be surprised at that speed if it was off by 10 mph.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I have heard the speedo is not very acurrate at high speeds.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
well alittle update...i took delivery of my GTi this morning...and on the way home on the highway...the speedo hit like 115...so im guessing with the incorrect speedo readings...the car went somewhere around 100mph

i will say this DSG runs like a damn champ....im very impressed

naughtyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
06 DSG
top speed

I have yet to settle on my final details but on my first test drive I hit 110 5 different times and once I hit 125 plus. I had to change lanes so I stopped looking down. The salesman told be before we got on the freeway to do what I felt comfortable with. Obviously, I took him up on his offer. He never once asked me to lay off the revs. Drove both manual and DSG and the DSG, is golden! You gotta love a salesman that knows the car will sell it's self, especially when you get to drive it like that. At 125 the car felt like a slice of heaven. When I left he said look at me and tell me the mini s is still on your list.....no way, not now!:evil::respekt: