GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fuel question!

makinilla

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, i have some question about fuel, in europe vw recommends 98 octanes and if you are not able to find 95. What happen in USA? I think that only are avaible 83, 85 and 91? The engine is different? I have 2006 GTI Version.

Thanks a lot!

White Candy 2006 GTI.

makinilla

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks Dubdr, but you know if there is anything different in the engine? I said this because there is a little price difference between 95 and 98, and if the different is just some horsepower loss it is not important for me! I think that have more than I use! :)

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
where i live in my area, i have been putting Ultra 94 from sunoco in my car. when i get my chip with the 100octane program, i will go get the racing fuel from them and try it out on my car:evil:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I believe you can always get octane booster too from the auto store or Wal-Mart....yeah I know I just said the "W" word. So if you can't get right at 91 or higher you can always use those products to bump it up.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
It looks like I am getting about 300MPG.

Jay S.

Passed Driver's Ed
makinilla said:
Thanks Dubdr, but you know if there is anything different in the engine? I said this because there is a little price difference between 95 and 98, and if the different is just some horsepower loss it is not important for me! I think that have more than I use! :)

The difference is in the tuning of the engines. The higher octane allows for more agressive timing which equates to a little more power. So you could not use a euro ecu to run your gti in america(well technically you culd but the ecu would pull timing and make the car feel sluggish).

Newcastle

Drag Racing Champion
The fuel rating in EU is figured in a different manner from in the US.
Most countries use the RON rating, whereas in the US we us the (R+M)2 rating system.

US Octane numbers run 4 or 5 digits lower than EU for the same fuel, so 98 octane EU is the same is 93/94 octane in the US.

Therefore there is probably no difference in the engines. Run premium unleaded and you will be just fine.

I HAVE heard though that if you run premium instead of midgrade the FSI engine will run in FSI "mode" longer, giving you better mileage. I don't know how much truth there is to that

There is a good article on octane ratings here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Anyone else notice the MPG go down as the level of the gas in the tank goes down?