GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forge Diverter Valve Spacer

MAlby7

Oval Newbie
EK_Turbo said:
Thanks for response. I hope you're right. Is this valve adjustable in any way? That sound clip actually is a bit loud even for my taste.. think there's any way to adjust how much air gets vented or recirculated?

They make an adjustable version but it's $180US I think. The only problem with it is that to adjust it you have to jack your car up everytime you need adjusting.

YenPxxx

Drag Racing Champion
MAlby7 said:
They make an adjustable version but it's $180US I think. The only problem with it is that to adjust it you have to jack your car up everytime you need adjusting.

How much is the non-adjustable version?

Rabbit222

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
I had it fitted to my GTI last year. Initially it was quite nice driving around and WHOOSHING AWAY. I picked up a problem earlier this year and had it removed. It had a boost leak caused by a shoddy O ring on the Forge BOV. Forge apparently have an O ring kit that sorts the problem out. I must say I had thoughts of removing it before the problem, reason being that it was becoming quite annoying.

//caliber\\

Drag Race Newbie
Rabbit222 said:
I had it fitted to my GTI last year. Initially it was quite nice driving around and WHOOSHING AWAY. I picked up a problem earlier this year and had it removed. It had a boost leak caused by a shoddy O ring on the Forge BOV. Forge apparently have an O ring kit that sorts the problem out. I must say I had thoughts of removing it before the problem, reason being that it was becoming quite annoying.

I can see that sound being real cool at first but then maybe tiring after a long time like you experienced. ALso I wish they could make the sound more punctuated instead of sounding like air brakes on an 18-wheeler truck.

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Dubdr said:
I just ordered the adjustable one. Should be here later this week. I will let you know how it sounds.
Awesome, share a sound/video file with us when you have the chance :thumbsup: I can host the file if u need.

IML337

bahnstorming
MAlby7 said:
All it does is vent the excess air out into the atmosphere. Instead of your diverter valve blowing the excess air back into the intake manifold, the forge spacer causes atmosphere venting and therefore you hear it more. i would assume that this device will also prolong the life of your turbo because the hot air doesn't get sent back to it.

MAlby7 said:
I'm almost 100% sure it won't give you any performance gains or decrease performance either. What it might do is send less hot air to your turbo and therefore prolong its life.

MAlby7 said:
I would say it's most likely that VW designed it that way so people don't get turned off by the sound. Think of any factory turbo car. None of them have blow off valves because only a true car enthusiast would like that sound.

There's not a lot of truth or fact in any of these statements. Read vwvortex and you'll see that a bunch of guys have had unexplainable performance losses with this.

I suggest you do some reading, and find out and learn what a MAF (Mass Air Flow meter) is, and then you'll understand the real reason why VW designed the car to recirculate the air, instead of venting it to the atmosphere. Venting to the atmosphere when you have a MAF will mess up your a/f mixture and cause performance losses.

Venting to the atmosphere is also illegal in a lot of markets this car is exported to.

As for prolonging the life of the turbo? Hello? I don't even know WHY you would think that?!

MAlby7

Oval Newbie
IML337 said:
There's not a lot of truth or fact in any of these statements. Read vwvortex and you'll see that a bunch of guys have had unexplainable performance losses with this.

I suggest you do some reading, and find out and learn what a MAF (Mass Air Flow meter) is, and then you'll understand the real reason why VW designed the car to recirculate the air, instead of venting it to the atmosphere. Venting to the atmosphere when you have a MAF will mess up your a/f mixture and cause performance losses.

Venting to the atmosphere is also illegal in a lot of markets this car is exported to.

As for prolonging the life of the turbo? Hello? I don't even know WHY you would think that?!

Someone piss in your cereal? Wow I've never heard someone get so offended by a guess at why something was a certain way.

Firstly, I've spent a lot of time on vwvortex, and not a single person has dynoed a car and gotten mechanical proof that the forge spacer has diminished their horsepower. Every one on that board is using "it feels like I've lost power" statements also so you may want to rethink your accusation.

Secondly, my thought on why the venting to the atmosphere would save your turbo is incorrect because I confused intake air with exhaust air. It was late at night when I wrote it and wasn't thinking straight. What I should have said is that reusing the now warm air is probably worse that getting fresh new cooler air for combustion. You argue that the A/F mixture will be off because of the atmosheric air dump. That's what the MAF is for, to make sure you're taking in sufficient air. Just because you're not recirculating air back into the intake doesn't mean it won't get it from somewhere else, aka environment.

As far as the legal ramifications of venting to the atmosphere, I have heard that it is illegal but cannot understand why so many companies make blow off valves if it's such a terrible idea to vent to the atmosphere. From my understanding, BOV's expell extra intake air. To my knowledge it isn't comtaminated, just filtered. Why is this illegal, I mean I'm not arguing with you, I just don't understand why it is this way.

IML337

bahnstorming
MAlby7 said:
Firstly, I've spent a lot of time on vwvortex, and not a single person has dynoed a car and gotten mechanical proof that the forge spacer has diminished their horsepower. Every one on that board is using "it feels like I've lost power" statements also so you may want to rethink your accusation.

Yeah, fair point... Though more than one person said it was rather noticable. When are you getting you GTI? Give it a go and let us know :thumbsup:
MAlby7 said:
Secondly, my thought on why the venting to the atmosphere would save your turbo is incorrect because I confused intake air with exhaust air. It was late at night when I wrote it and wasn't thinking straight. What I should have said is that reusing the now warm air is probably worse that getting fresh new cooler air for combustion.
Well, OK. You did say it twice over a period of 5 days though. You must have been bloody tired :p
MAlby7 said:
You argue that the A/F mixture will be off because of the atmosheric air dump. That's what the MAF is for, to make sure you're taking in sufficient air. Just because you're not recirculating air back into the intake doesn't mean it won't get it from somewhere else, aka environment.

It vents air that the MAF thinks is still in the system, therefore the ECU makes the mixture too rich.

MAlby7 said:
As far as the legal ramifications of venting to the atmosphere, I have heard that it is illegal but cannot understand why so many companies make blow off valves if it's such a terrible idea to vent to the atmosphere. From my understanding, BOV's expell extra intake air. To my knowledge it isn't comtaminated, just filtered. Why is this illegal, I mean I'm not arguing with you, I just don't understand why it is this way.

Why does any company make any product that's illegal to fit to a car? Because there's a consumer demand anyway!

Lots of cars don't have MAF/MAP sensors, so it's OK to vent. It's illegal for lots of petty and stupid reasons here in Australia, none of which carry any weight... Like "it makes too much noise and breaches Environmental Protection Authority guidlines" :bs:

IML337

bahnstorming
I meant, it's OK to vent on those older cars that don't have MAF and MAP sensors... Of which there are a lot down here in Australia.

Dubdr

Rally Car Champion
How can it be illegal to vent to atmo on a turbo????? They are exhuast gases will go out of the tail pipe any way. The only difference is that it hasn't go through the cat yet. The amount of polution it causes is so small. As far as the US market, blow off all you want. No laws here.
Also, your mass air flow is before the blow off therefore it doesn't have any affect on the systems fuel trim. I have serveral pages on this it you want.
Herby, you are right any car with an OBD II system it has to have MAF.
Also, it has been shown that a 50-50 (return-atmo) diverter valve will increase the life of the turbo.