GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Choose GTI over what cars?

AJChenMPH

Lt. Commander, USPHS
Planning on ordering my GTI sometime late this year or early next year. On my short list are a Civic Si and a WRX -- I'm going to test-drive all three before I make my final decision, but I'm viewing the test-drives more as confirmation that I'll be getting a GTI; I just need to settle in my mind that I don't want those cars over a GTI.

These are all cars with the same basic purpose for me: something I can live with a on daily basis that I can still enjoy at track/high-performance driving events, all in the low-US$20,000's. The WRX has AWD, which may give it an edge, but since I don't live in a serious snow belt anymore (moved from NYC to DC this past fall), I figure I can get away with FWD and snow tires in the winter.

isaaco

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Man I'm so excited to get my GTI. I think I'm going to get a black magic 3 dr, maybe this week!

As for cars I'm choosing over would be :
Civic SI
Audi A3
Mini Cooper S
Infiniti G35
and my 2001 A4 I'm giving up :)

The only other cars that I really considered and made offers on were the Civic si and A3. The A3 was a little too expensive and after driving both the GTI and SI, I had to go with the GTI. The GTI felt great and just seems more practical for me. Plus I've always wanted a hatch :D.

mk1-fan

Drag Race Newbie
It was an easy choice for me. GTI or GTI.:biggrin: Only real choices I had to make was the colour and options.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Currently, I'm driving a 2003 325i sport, manual. It's the best car I've ever had.
NOTHING compares to a BMW sport suspension in terms of overall sport control combined with smooth crusing even on the ravaged roads of the Midwest Chicago area.

That said, my lease is up in May and I am shopping.
My short list:
325i (E90) manaul
A4 quattro manual or DSG
A3 sport DSG
GTI DSG
Legacy GT Spec B (US model)

The EVO and STI were on my list, but for everyday use I can't do it. Fantastic cars though.

The BMW is expensive, but it's got great return on the money.
The Audi's are super nice and fit the "luxury" profile.
The Legacy is a very nice package.

Still, the GTI has this "feeling" that I fell in love with. The top sport seats are very comfy and the DSG is amazing. The steering was nice and direct and the overall ride to handling was qutie sweet. Also, given those other cars, the GTI felt the roomiest to me. It seems very strange, but VW designed the interior very efficiently and kept the overall door thickness in check giving me the most shoulder room. The interior is cooler than the BMW and almost as nice as the Audi and Legacy.
But, the price is SWEET! And, the MPG to performance ratio is untoucable except by the A3.

The A3 is best with the sport package as it has great seats as well. The thing that drove me away from the A3 was yet another test drive. The steering is too damn light. It's very direct and the car performs well, very much like the GTI (same platform, go figure). But, the steering is too light and makes it feel "floaty". Also, I LOVE the GTI steering wheel. It just makes you feel like you're in some customized car.

So, on that short list the GTI is my top car. Now, I just have to make a final decision.
I just got an amazing offer on the exact GTI I'm looking for. I'll have to see how it works out as I still have 3 least payments on my 325i.
BTW, I'm planning to purchase the GTI as I want to mod at some point.

TT

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
GTT: welcome to the site and it's a great idea to consider the GTI. The MK5 GTI I feel has moved up a bit in its class/luxury feel.. the interior is nicer than ever and larger than ever. So you won't exactly be giving up a ton in terms of that in going from a E46 325 to a GTI. Plus, since you want to mod at some point nothing beats a turbo car with a huge enthusiast base like the GTI! You'll be able to squeeze more performance out of the GTI with a few hundred dollar chip than you would by spending thousands on mods for a 325i :w00t:

Herby

Autocross Newbie
First off, this being my first post, I love this site, its put together so well and the fact that the fan base here is so similar to the aircooled fan base; helpful and friendly.

I want to get a new car, but being in college kind of hinders that dream right now. (hopefully by mid 2007 when I graduate).

I only had 2 choices for NEW cars

VW GTI MkV
Dodge SRT-4

However, the SRT-4 is no longer made and to me it seemed just a little too cheap (quality). Plus I don't like 4 door, I'd prefer a hatch.

I'm all about performance, don't care much about luxury (I drive an aircooled beetle:headbang: ) and I liked how both cars have performed, but in the end the GTI is a way better buy. I just gotta wait:drool:

Oh and plus, I'm a big VW fan and I plan on going to an automotive tech school after college to become a technician for VW, so it helps solidify my choice with the GTI:thumbup:

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
Herby said:
First off, this being my first post, I love this site, its put together so well and the fact that the fan base here is so similar to the aircooled fan base; helpful and friendly.

I want to get a new car, but being in college kind of hinders that dream right now. (hopefully by mid 2007 when I graduate).

I only had 2 choices for NEW cars

VW GTI MkV
Dodge SRT-4

However, the SRT-4 is no longer made and to me it seemed just a little too cheap (quality). Plus I don't like 4 door, I'd prefer a hatch.

I'm all about performance, don't care much about luxury (I drive an aircooled beetle:headbang: ) and I liked how both cars have performed, but in the end the GTI is a way better buy. I just gotta wait:drool:

Oh and plus, I'm a big VW fan and I plan on going to an automotive tech school after college to become a technician for VW, so it helps solidify my choice with the GTI:thumbup:

Welcome to the site Herby! Good choice on the GTI over the SRT-4...:thumbsup: You now make the second member who is planning on being a VW tech (Dubdr is heading to the VW academy in April).

Herby

Autocross Newbie
Awesome, I'll be a while longer though:mad: Won't be attending the school until maybe July 2007 and have to be accepted to the VW academy a year after that...so I have some time:bs:

Oh well, good things come to those who wait:drool:

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
1)Nissan Altima 3.5

2)Subaru Legacy 3.0R

GTT

Touring Car Champion
JJ-R32 said:
GTT: welcome to the site and it's a great idea to consider the GTI. The MK5 GTI I feel has moved up a bit in its class/luxury feel.. the interior is nicer than ever and larger than ever. So you won't exactly be giving up a ton in terms of that in going from a E46 325 to a GTI. Plus, since you want to mod at some point nothing beats a turbo car with a huge enthusiast base like the GTI! You'll be able to squeeze more performance out of the GTI with a few hundred dollar chip than you would by spending thousands on mods for a 325i :w00t:

All very true!

TT

glasgow_ffm

Go Kart Newbie
A3 2.0 TFSI > somehow a lame duck and definitely less sportive than the GTI

Opel/Vauxhall Astra 2.0 T > just a big piece of rust after 3 years, and besides that not nearly as sportive

Honda Civic Type R > needs to much rpm to have fun

BMW 130i > not available at the time of my purchase and besides that almost "naked", you need to invest at least 5.000 Euro more to have a car that you can live with

... the main argument pro GTI was the DSG

Sinjin

Rally Car Newbie
Three cars for me

A3 can't justigfy the extra 4k
GLI not quite there
GTI completeness!
BTW first post and the site is great!

I hope to be getting my pk2 dsg united grey this week. There are no DSG leathers within 200 miles of me. Dealer says he can get one within a day or two.