GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK5 Tips and Tricks

HydroGTI

Drag Race Newbie
Got this from another forum and thought it might help with some of the questions

{Note: Some features may not be available or present on all models}

1) Remote Window Closure / Opening

After leaving the car, press the 'lock' on the remote, and keep it held down (on)....the windows and sunroof will close (only whilst you hold the remote button)

Conversely, pressing the 'unlock' on the remote, and keeping it held down will open the windows (but not sunroof)
Release the remote when they are at desired position!

2) Windscreen Wiper Access

The windscreen wipers are neatly tucked away when not in use for aerodynamics and safety.

To clean under them or change the blades is easy!

With the ignition key in 'off' position or removed, pull the wiper stalk down momentarily.
The wipers will wipe to 12 o'clock position and remain in that position.

After completing your task, simply repeat the wiper stalk action and the wipers will 'park' in the usual position.

3) Fuel Flap Release

The electric fuel flap release is inhibited if travelling at over 5mph (a guess)

4) Automatic Rear Screen Wipe

With your windscreen wipers activated in any mode, selecting reverse will cause the rear screen wiper to wipe once.

5) Headlamp Washers

Headlamp washers will only wash if your headlights are switched 'on' - at the first time you wash your windscreen, and then every fifth time your wash your windscreen (resets after ingition switched off)

6) 2Zone Climate Control Synchronization

if you hold down the AUTO button for three seconds, it will synchronize the temperature setting on both sides of the car to match that of the drivers side. When ever the driver changes his temp setting it will also change it on the passenger side, until a passenger changes their side.

2Zone Climate Control Degrees C to Degrees F

Pressing and holding the Auto and Econ Buttons at the same time will swap the temperature from oC to oF and Visa Versa

7) Passenger Door not unlocking

If you press the unlock button more than twice in quick succession the passenger door ONLY locks itself, unlocks on the fourth, locks on the fifth etc.

Its a software problem that hasnt been rectified yet but its nothing to worry about

8) Coming Home Lights

The headlights only stay on for the 30seconds or so if you have put just taken the key out of the ignition. If you dont want them to stay on when youve parked up then lock the car, unlock and lock again.

9) Regards FSI owners mainly.

The higher the octane rating of the fuel the longer the FSI engine will run in FSI mode.

You see, when the FSI is running in 'Fuel Stratified Injection' mode it creates a lot of NoX (NoX - Very bad as far as emisions go) due to it being such a lean burn, so it has a NoX Cat which abrorbs the NoX, once its full the Nox probe (fancy lambda probe) senses this and the engine switches back to normal running and can safely clear the NoX out with the other gases through the main Cat so it can switch back into in FSI mode again.

The problem with octane levels is, and this is just an example depending on driving styles.

Out of 100 miles average :-

95RON - 90 miles normal, 10 miles FSI (lots of NoX made in FSI mode)

97+RON - 60 miles normal, 40 miles FSI (some NoX made in FSI mode)

Now regardless of what anyone says this is how the engine is built and as its more efficient in FSI mode VW always recommend the highest octane rating for this reason, they did introduce a 1.4FSI for the uk market that is made to run on 95RON fuel for longer but you want to see the size of the NoX Cat, more like a tanker. lol

if you guys find anything else post em
And after all that, you will get better miles to the gallon running 97+RON regardless of it being an FSI, its they way they are made these days, the ecu recognises when the fuel mixture combusts and will adjust it accordingly, the cheaper the fuel the more retarded the timing, the more retarded the timing the less power, the less power the more you 'need' to put the foot down.

IML337

bahnstorming
you can edit most of those settings yourself using the highline computer (comeing home lights, window operation with remote key, single door unlock, etc etc)

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Stupid question...what is the highline computer?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
K...thanks. I had no idea what the name was for it. If the radio is pulled out and replaced does anyone know if this messes with the highline computer?

merog

Passed Driver's Ed
loccusst said:
K...thanks. I had no idea what the name was for it. If the radio is pulled out and replaced does anyone know if this messes with the highline computer?

No it will not mess with the highline computer (FSI).

GTI2007

loccusst said:

No, the radio has nothing to do with the highline computer and the highline computer has absolutely nothing to do with the radio. Those are 2 completely independent things

mrlapou

Ready to race!
HydroGTI mentioned

7) Passenger Door not unlocking

If you press the unlock button more than twice in quick succession the passenger door ONLY locks itself, unlocks on the fourth, locks on the fifth etc.

Its a software problem that hasnt been rectified yet but its nothing to worry about

My car had this problem. Easliy fixed with Vag Com using 'Long Coding' method. Now all doors plus boot unlocks with one press of the keyfob unlock button.
At same I time also enabled auto lock when speeds reaches 15kph and unlock when key removed from ignition.

mach5

you are next
but you need to ue the vag-com to activate the windows thing though don't you?

In the US, yes, but also you need to turn on the convenience options in the highline computer. I can't remember exactly where or what option it was...but alf activated my remote windows for me and they never worked. I was looking around in the computer and out of curiosity turned on the convenience option then tried it and they worked.