I choose the color - United Gray
Slapped on the body kit.
got the sunroof
threw on the 18' Khartoum rims
choose Sirius Sat for my radio
put the red piping mats in

PS: Votex kit comes unpainted.

Really?
According to VW accessories catalog, the body kit parts are painted.

Did you actually see the parts unpainted?
And, how much is the dealer charging you to paint the parts?

I'll have to check with the local VW parts department to verify the discrepency.
The website site says unpainted and the catalog says painted.

For the price they want to charge they better come painted or why bother.
The only piece that looks better in the kit is the front air dam, other than that just painting the
stock parts looks just fine.

T

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
GTT said:
Really?
According to VW accessories catalog, the body kit parts are painted.

Did you actually see the parts unpainted?
And, how much is the dealer charging you to paint the parts?

I'll have to check with the local VW parts department to verify the discrepency.
The website site says unpainted and the catalog says painted.

For the price they want to charge they better come painted or why bother.
The only piece that looks better in the kit is the front air dam, other than that just painting the
stock parts looks just fine.

Here's a link to VWdrivegear.com. It say's: "Requires painting to match body color, at an additional cost."

Body Kits never come painted because there's bodywork required to install them and they alway's have to do touch up work to make it look perfect. If they came painted it wouldn't make sense becuase the shop would have to carry the paint in stock anyway's to match it up.

T

Here's a link to VWdrivegear.com. It say's: "Requires painting to match body color, at an additional cost."

http://drivergear.vw.com/store/acce...gory_id=82&subcategory_id=268&product_id=3262

Body Kits never come painted because there's bodywork required to install them and they alway's have to do touch up work to make it look perfect. If they came painted it wouldn't make sense becuase the shop would have to carry the paint in stock anyway's to match it up.

Double-V

Go Kart Champion
I like the black bits because it makes the car look less chubby than the painted bits, and because the amount of sand and salt that is applied to roads in my area makes painted valences look like crap quite quickly.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
HotLanta MKfizzle said:

http://drivergear.vw.com/store/acce...gory_id=82&subcategory_id=268&product_id=3262

Thanks.
Yes, I know that. I've been to that site.
That is what I am talking about. The website say's needs paint, but the VW brochure specific to the new GTI says it comes painted. Thus, the question.

Also, bodykits generally come unpainted with aftermarket companies. However, this is a VW kit from VW. The body parts we are talkikng about here don't need touchup. They install pretty easily, especially OEM factory parts. Aftermarket parts can be suspect as they don't always work out the best, though some do. Also, a VW shop probably does stock the paint, afterall they are the OEM shop. :wink: And, if they didn't it would be very easy to get.
So, I'm not sure I follow your thinking on that point.

T

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Double-V said:
I like the black bits because it makes the car look less chubby than the painted bits, and because the amount of sand and salt that is applied to roads in my area makes painted valences look like crap quite quickly.

Yes, if the paint work is substandard or done incorrectly.

T

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
What I'm trying to say is I don't think VW stocks a bunch of body kits in different colors, since there not that in-demand. And I don't think that once an order for a body-kit comes in from a dealer, they paint one and send it out, it's not that personal.

Bottom Line - They come UNPAINTED>.

GTT said:
Thanks.
Yes, I know that. I've been to that site.
That is what I am talking about. The website say's needs paint, but the VW brochure specific to the new GTI says it comes painted. Thus, the question.

Also, bodykits generally come unpainted with aftermarket companies. However, this is a VW kit from VW. The body parts we are talkikng about here don't need touchup. They install pretty easily, especially OEM factory parts. Aftermarket parts can be suspect as they don't always work out the best, though some do. Also, a VW shop probably does stock the paint, afterall they are the OEM shop. :wink: And, if they didn't it would be very easy to get.
So, I'm not sure I follow your thinking on that point.

T

GTT

Touring Car Champion
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
What I'm trying to say is I don't think VW stocks a bunch of body kits in different colors, since there not that in-demand. And I don't think that once an order for a body-kit comes in from a dealer, they paint one and send it out, it's not that personal.

Bottom Line - They come UNPAINTED>.

I disagree.
Bottom line is that VW has listed "painted" and "unpainted" and we haven't had a confirmation yet as to which is true.
So, you didn't see if the parts are painted or not?
I would double check as you could be paying for something you don't need to be paying for.

Check this link.
Go to the second post and read the description on the body styling pieces that states "prepainted" and "ready to install".
http://www.golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5

Also, VW easily could have the body parts painted and stocked.
How would you know if they're in demand or not? The car just go released in the US. :iono:
A new body style has a few years to go. Painting the kit bits in one run is very doable as the parts will be offered over a few years.
Those pieces could easily be made by the company that makes the black bits for VW.

I'm not saying I know that the parts come painted or unpainted. VW has published both scenario's.
If they don't come painted, then they cost too much in my view.

T

Last edited:

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Ok, here's some info, not great but something.

I spoke with VW parts and they were not very helpful.
I asked if those parts come painted or not. The answer she gave is basically, "both".
She said that they CAN be ordered pre-painted from the distributor, who is not the dealer. And, when I asked what is the price she said to ask the dealer.

Not too helpful when the place that sells the parts doesn't know the answer.
So, I called my dealer. Again, limited help. I gave him the parts numbers from the lists.
The "AX" designation means "primered" and that means you'll need to paint.
Then, I asked about the brochure that says "prepainted". He said that perhaps there will be additional paint code numbers. He then asked me to hold and spoke to another guy there who sounded to know more. The answer was that those parts are not yet available and they should be in about a month. He then said that the parts will be available pre-painted, but they were not sure on the price.

So, there it is. Pretty much nearly where we started.
However, there is hope that the parts will be pre-painted and available unpainted but primered.
Cost? I don't know. Perhaps the prices currently listed are for unpainted?

That's all I have. I wasn't too happy with VW parts nor with the dealer. I know this car is new, but come on VW! If you start offering these things then your parts people and your dealers need to have the info. ready to go.
That is all.

T

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
GTT said:
I'm not saying I know that the parts come painted or unpainted. VW has published both scenario's.
If they don't come painted, then they cost too much in my view.

T

There overpriced either way... Painting them shouldn't cost that much, I'm paying $500.00 for the dealership to do it, because I can finance the cost, and hopefully they'll be under warranty. If you like the look of the kit, then don't worry about the painting costs. I don't like any of the aftermarket kits, so I went this route.

Here are the prices I paid for my Votex Kit....(yes I saw the parts un-painted and primered with my own eyes)

Part#1KM-071-609-U-9AX Skirt $443.51 (front Valence)
Part#1K0-071-610-UB-9AX Skirt $499.95 (rear Valence)
Part#1KM-071-685-U-9AX Side Sill $508.60 (Side Skirts)

I guess as GTT states, the AX means unpainted and primered. I am paying $500.00 bucks to get them painted and put on at the dealership. When the parts become available painted, I don't know if the prices will remain the same. The whole ground effects kit is obviously overpriced, but it's financed which helps. You can easily get an aftermarket kit for this amount of money, if you like the ones out there. I will have some pics of my Vdub up in about 2 days, so you can see the kit up close and personal, and see if you like it.

-HTL :headbang:

Last edited:

Texas_MkV

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Does anyone have pictures of a Black Magic with the stock parts painted.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
There overpriced either way... Painting them shouldn't cost that much, I'm paying $500.00 for the dealership to do it, because I can finance the cost, and hopefully they'll be under warranty. If you like the look of the kit, then don't worry about the painting costs. I don't like any of the aftermarket kits, so I went this route.

Here are the prices I paid for my Votex Kit....(yes I saw the parts un-painted and primered with my own eyes)

Part#1KM-071-609-U-9AX Skirt $443.51 (front Valence)
Part#1K0-071-610-UB-9AX Skirt $499.95 (rear Valence)
Part#1KM-071-685-U-9AX Side Sill $508.60 (Side Skirts)

I guess as GTT states, the AX means unpainted and primered. I am paying $500.00 bucks to get them painted and put on at the dealership. When the parts become available painted, I don't know if the prices will remain the same. The whole ground effects kit is obviously overpriced, but it's financed which helps. You can easily get an aftermarket kit for this amount of money, if you like the ones out there. I will have some pics of my Vdub up in about 2 days, so you can see the kit up close and personal, and see if you like it.

-HTL :headbang:

HTL,

What are going to do with the stock black pieces?
If you plan to discard them, I'd like first dibs on getting them from you.
Give me a price you may have in mind.
Thanks.

T

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
GTT said:
HTL,

What are going to do with the stock black pieces?
If you plan to discard them, I'd like first dibs on getting them from you.
Give me a price you may have in mind.
Thanks.

T

i didn't think of that... i'll try to recover them from the shop...keep you posted.

tofu

Ready to race!
the black bits just make the car looks cheap. :barf:

1500 + $ to paint and install for a body kit = rip offfffffffffffffff

VW should color match the kit out of the factory!!!