GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LEASE OR BUY, I NEED ADVICE

shawn0001

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok i really need some good advice. I really want a gti but really, i cant afford it so i figured id go with a rabbit, but comparitivly they suck. I think if i lease the gti though the payments would be pretty close to the financing payments on a rabbit. Does anyone lease. If so give me your feedback
thanks

bilbos

On the Kop
I have the Driver's Option on my GTI. The payments are $413 a month, which from reading other peoples posts is quite high.

How much is it to finance the rabbit?

Zolty

Autocross Champion
I think I remember reading a post from someone who has the same monthly payments as I do but with no money down. If you don't need the car right away and are willing to and able to negotiate you can always get a good deal. I probably could've gotten my payments lower but it wasn't a big deal b/c they were letting me out of my Golf lease early. That was key b/c it needed 4 new tires, I hadn't gotten the 40,000 mile service and I needed the 50,000 mile service in about a hundred miles.

bilbos

On the Kop
shawn0001 said:
Whats the drivers option? And is that with any $ down? To finance a rabbit is 420 roughly over 66 months

The Driver's Option just gives you a bit more flexibility. At the end of the lease term you can either:

1. Give the car back.
2. Pay off the balloon and keep the car.
3. Refinance the balloon payment.

I put $3500 down and the lease term is for 36 months.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
scuderiavw said:
i dont lease because i like playing with the cars, and put bunch of miles on them. But my wife's cars are always lease
Thanks guys. I'm just saying that if you want your GTI to be "your GTI" then if at all possible you should buy it. I've already done too many things to mine that I would have never been able to do with a leased one. I also would not have been happy with this car if I would have had to of kept it stock. And I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that. No offense, but the stock power would have got old, and so would the looks and ride height, etc, etc. Therefore I need to buy things so I can make them the way I like them. It doesn't mean I'm a douche. Grow up shawn0001 and put a respectable reply in here and not just a kiddie name calling attack.

But of course if modding your car and all you want it for is a fun and practical daily driver then by all means lease the thing. I was just saying that to buy FTW. No big deal.:respekt: Kid!

bilbos

On the Kop
shawn0001 said:
So what if for some reason you want to get rid of the car durring your lease how does that work?

I am not sure on what the position would be in that case. I would be in the same boat, if for some reason I had to go back to the UK.

I assume you could get out of it somehow, but no doubt there would be a financial penalty.

Do you plan on modding the car in anyway?

Turbo GTI

Autocross Newbie
bilbos said:
I have the Driver's Option on my GTI. The payments are $413 a month, which from reading other peoples posts is quite high.

How much is it to finance the rabbit?

That's a lot to pay for a lease. I got my GTI PKG 1 MT for 22,800 and after taxes and stuff i think it came to like 26,000. I only put $1000 down and my payments are 466.17 on a 5yr with 5.9%...
so for $53 more you could have owned that baby....
and a lease with this car does nothing for you becuz this car is so fun to drive that you are going to rack up those miles. I got mine on May 23rd and it is Aug 22nd and I am 300 miles away from 10K and if you ask me where they came from i couldn't tell ya and the car still runs great.. love it... GTI's were meant to be run to death!!!!