GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Euro Springs in US

hotshoe32

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2006 UG GTI
So obviously the ride height of the US spec GTI is an issue with most everybody. I tried to search but didn't immediately find anything... does anyone have information on what the feasibility will be of getting the Euro market springs here: Cost? Affect on Warranty? Also, I believe that the springs are the only difference between the suspensions of the US car and the Euro car... is that accurate or are there other parts that will need to be changed? I'm interested in the lower proper stance of the European market car but don't want to go installing aftermarket parts that will affect the warranty. I am at the mercy of your collective wisdom:iono:

HGVT

Ready to race!
I believe youre right and the only difference between the European and US spec GTI's are the springs (half inch higher in the US spec cars).

As for warranty, I think it won't affect warranty because they're OEM parts. I guess it all depends on how picky your dealership is. Technically since the car didnt' come with the euro spec springs, they could technically void certain parts of your warranty coverage (such as your suspension), but this would no doubt be an arguable point. My guess is that your dealer will never notice since the euro springs are labeled with OEM part # and since the height drop is hard to tell (only half inch)

One bit of information taht's great news for anyone interested in doing this is that the euro GTI has the same exact shocks as the US GTI, so swapping to the euro springs won't affect the factory shock life of the US GTI! :w00t:

EK_Turbo

Ready to race!
Good info HGVT thanks. Here are the part #'s for the euro spec springs:

Springs front: 1K0 411 105 GK
Springs rear: 1K0 511 115 EB

z3speed4me

Go Kart Champion
soooo would it be better to get the euro springs, or like h&r or eibach's...etc?

like how much lower are the euro springs? is it significant like 30mm or so?

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
z3speed4me said:
soooo would it be better to get the euro springs, or like h&r or eibach's...etc?

like how much lower are the euro springs? is it significant like 30mm or so?

euro springs are just the springs used in the euro spec GTI's. Because of new bumper height regulations in the US, US springs raise the car by about half an inch over the european GTI's. Therefore getting the euro springs would lower your car by just half an inch.

dmclone

Oval Champion
I can't get to the other site right now. Can someone tell me if you can get these hrough the dealership. I contacted my local dealer with these part numbers and he couldn't find them.

Springs front: 1K0 411 105 GK
Springs rear: 1K0 511 115 EB

Any info?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
He's not gonna have the info. It is like when I had my Honda Civic. The states couldn't order Type R stuff from Japan.

RallyVWDan

Passed Driver's Ed
We should be able to get euro parts here at decent prices. If folks have trouble drop me a line and we'll see if we can pull some strings in the old country to lay hands on a few sets for stateside folks of taste.

As for OEM vs. Aftermarket... if you want to actually turn better stick with the OEM. Its stunning how little most of the aftermarket cares about real performance. The vast VAST majority just market to the folks who want the look and nothing else.