• Manual 6speed

Votes: 103 44.4%
  • DSG

Votes: 129 55.6%

• Total voters

kazyce

Ready to race!
Rovman said:
I enjoy the satisfaction of good heel-n-toe play too much to give it up. 6 sp. for me

Ditto. Nothing like the feeling of a perfect shift though I guess if you drive often in traffic something like the DSG would be a great atlernative. Since the DSG is supposed to be so good I wonder how many maual owners will convert.

Mainy

Ready to race!
Retro manual for me :biggrin:

I test drove a DSG and have also driven a colleages DSG TT when I had my TT and I have to say that I did not feel as "involved" with the car :confused:

Charis

Ready to race!
I doubt anyone actually has an actual # answer to this but how much HP's do you all think DSG can deal with? Wonder how much DSG cars can be modded.

EK_Turbo

Ready to race!
Charis said:
I doubt anyone actually has an actual # answer to this but how much HP's do you all think DSG can deal with? Wonder how much DSG cars can be modded.

Sorry don't have an answer for you but if anyone is afraid of DSG not being able to handle a lot of aftermarket power you can bet that tuners will eventually sell components to beef up the DSG transmission to deal with a lot of power.

kosmo6

Ready to race!
Call me crazy, but I'm thinking DSG. I have a long, slow commute in LA traffic, and I'm getting tired of having to deal with a heavy racing clutch on my Mustang. The idea of being faster and smoother while not having to tire my clutch leg doesn't sound too bad to me...

Rovman said:
I enjoy the satisfaction of good heel-n-toe play too much to give it up. 6 sp. for me

Manual is just too much fun to even consider something related to automatic.
What is driving with out one hand on the shifter:iono:

does the jetta 2.5 have dsg... maybe i drove it in that car?
im sure i would be impressed if i had a chance to drive a dsg gti in curves.

but back to my point: rev matching is too much fun to give up:bellyroll:

HGVT

Ready to race!
GTi Fanatic said:
Manual is just too much fun to even consider something related to automatic.
What is driving with out one hand on the shifter:iono:

does the jetta 2.5 have dsg... maybe i drove it in that car?
im sure i would be impressed if i had a chance to drive a dsg gti in curves.

but back to my point: rev matching is too much fun to give up:bellyroll:

Yea I'd imagine DSG is too much like playing a video game :biggrin: Then again I haven't tested it out so I'm basing this on my imagination and speculation :biggrin: But seriously I think I'd feel a disconnect with my car if I gave up manual.

HydroGTI

Drag Race Newbie
id get the DSG cause its bad ass, and im not that good driving manual, and im also lazy

zephrus21

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
the DSG is faster -yes by like what .025 seconds?!its smoother, has a faster
0-60.is the pinical of auto tranny tech.has cool f1 style paddle thingies.
however -for me its about the whole driving experience.i like to be in control of the car.

the more envolved with the car and the road i am is what does it for me.i think having the DSG would be cool at first,but after awhile i would get bored.being a little faster isnt enough for me-its all about how much fun im having even when im just running out to get milk.

deadhead

Ready to race!
What worries me about DSG is potential repair costs. From what I understand, you've got two clutches, controlled by a computer. When something breaks (or when the clutches need to be replaced), what's it going to cost to fix it? Also, does anybody have any data on reliability/longevity of the DSG from the TT3.2?

adams06gti

DSG Reliability

First, I'll be going with the DSG. Have driven it in both the A3 and GTI and it is great. Nothing at all like any of the other fake tiptronic DSG wannabe transmissions out there. I know I won't be bored driving the GTI at Lime Rock or Watkins Glen HPDE's utilizing the DSG's rapid gear changes with my foot still on the gas and 2 hands on the wheel - but maybe thats just me. I don't think some of you fully appreciate the technology VW/Audi is offering us at only a $1K upcharge. But get what you think will work for you. Only my 2 cents.

Second, as far as reliabilty goes, the DSG set up has been out for a few years now, starting I believe with the Audi TT. Not that I love the magazine, but Speed Magazine's (Road and Track offshoot) June 2005 issue did a 3 vehicle test that included a highly modded (400HP) HPA Audi TT. Highest compliments went to the unmodded DSG transmission that could handle the power and mid to low 3's in the 0-60 with ease!

Obviously the DSG has a lot going on inside that could or couldn't go wrong - its called technology. At least you'll never have to worry about grinding a gear ever again. (That comment was not meant for those of you who have never missed a shift/gear - don't want to offend).

Cruising around will be relaxing in automatic mode, but it will be nice to know that when I want to - I can play F1 driver at the flick of the wrist!

Good luck with whatever set up you choose.

ChrisR32

If I had the DSG I'd turn into a lazy driver. I reckon theres only so long you'd used the paddles for until you just got into a habit of notching it into auto mod.

Plus how could I practice my heal and toe techniques :tongue: