GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Mileage Driver + GTI = Bad Idea?

LiquidG

Touring Car Champion
Would you guys suggest me keeping my car, or sell it after its paid off, I was planning to keep it for atleast 10 years, like my mazda 626 with 300 000 km's and runs like brand new.

MarkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Yes VW's warranty is sounding very good to me right now. It might not be as extensive as others but is enough to keep me at ease. Im pretty sure its the same for all dealers but I could be wrong:
12 year/unlimited distancelimited warranty against corrosion perforation
5 year/60,000 mile powertrain limited warranty
4 year/50,000 mile new vehicle limited warranty.
(wear & tear items and adjustments excluded after initial 12 month/12,000 miles)

This is the recommended warranty by VW but im sure most quality dealerships are willing to work with their customers and cut you some slack here and there.

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
Slowride said:
I went with the 2006 Si, as some of my fans here know. This is far from a boring car to drive, and you don't have to take my word for it...every review says that.

When it came down to it, considering how well a 6 speed Si competes to a 6 speed GTI, I took resale value and reliability and performance.

Every Si vs. GTI review I've read, thus far, favors the GTI over the Si. I test-drove the Si the same day I bought my GTI. To me, the GTI is just more of a "driver's car". There's just more of a connection between the driver and the machine. While the Si is a great performer, it's lacking soul. As far as I know, besides the S2000 and NSX, all Honda's are missing that special something that German (and other European) cars have. And this is coming from a 3-time Honda owner; I actually traded a 2004 Accord V6 coupe for the GTI.

That's why I went with the GTI and that's why the Mini Cooper S was my second choice :wink:

As far as "resale value, reliability, and performance" goes:

A) VW holds more value than you (and most people) think. As a matter of fact, as far as non-luxury brands go, the three makes with the highest resale value are Honda, Toyota, and Volkswagen.

The difference between the Honda Civic and VW GTI? Well, put it this way: after 5 years and 75,000 miles, a Civic will hold 49% of its value while a GTI will hold 47% of its value. Yes, the difference is that minimal. As you can see, I did my research :redface:

B) Yes, we all know our GTI is less reliable than your Civic. Yet, we still prefer the GTI and paid more money for it. What does that tell you? It's the same reason why people choose to buy a BMW over a Lexus.

C) Pff.. performance?? Are you seriously trying to tell us that your Si performs better than the GTI? It might have just been me but I felt no connection with the Si. It just annoys me how sluggish it is below 6500 RPM and how you have to rev the piss out of it to get some enjoyment. I need my torque!

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
I bought my mkIV GTI 1.8T in July of 2004, and I have put 48,600 miles so far and that is 1 year and 8 months, so I have averaged about 30K or so miles a year. My usual trips were Chicago, IL, to Whitewater and Madison, WI. Comfort was great and gas milage is awsome. Just drove today another 340 miles and gas wise I averaged 31.2 miles/gallon. The only problem that I have had is with the seat bulsters and it kills my hip some times but not often though. Very mysterious and I hope the mkV seats are bigger and more comfy. Oh and I almost forgot to mention no problems whatsoever except real light bulbs replaced and my driving is beating it up so much that I never thought this car will handle it as good as my honda did.

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
I've always felt that VW made an extremely solid and durable structure. They have had a lot of electrical issues and general reliability problems. I'm in the camp that says a GERMAN VW should be better, if not failsafe. I think that Honda, Toyota and co have a bit of a cult of personality going. They are well made cars. But Toyota has had an engine sludge issue in its minivans, just as VW has had them in their 1.8t motors. What this all comes down to is that you are buying something well engineered but not indestructible. If you are particularly weary of electrical problems, get the package 1 with a stick. If you change the oil, and do a little bit of common sense turbo maintinance, you should get over 100k miles of fuel efficient fun.

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
NorthGTI said:
And you have hit the nail on the head. No amount of reliability can cover for Honda's extremely boring driving experience.

+1:laugh:

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
Auf Wiedersehen! said:
performance?? Are you seriously trying to tell us that your Si performs better than the GTI? It might have just been me but I felt no connection with the Si. It just annoys me how sluggish it is below 6500 RPM and how you have to rev the piss out of it to get some enjoyment. I need my torque!

:help: Im in a dilemma please help me choose my sig between this and my last post :cool:

Newcastle

Drag Racing Champion
MarkVGTI said:
Yes VW's warranty is sounding very good to me right now. It might not be as extensive as others but is enough to keep me at ease. Im pretty sure its the same for all dealers but I could be wrong:
12 year/unlimited distancelimited warranty against corrosion perforation
5 year/60,000 mile powertrain limited warranty
4 year/50,000 mile new vehicle limited warranty.
(wear & tear items and adjustments excluded after initial 12 month/12,000 miles)

This is the recommended warranty by VW but im sure most quality dealerships are willing to work with their customers and cut you some slack here and there.

In addition to that warranty my dealer also gave me a 4 year/50,000 mile roadside assistance warranty. It is warrantied by a 3rd party. This was at no additional charge. I guess it isn't being made available everywhere?

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Newcastle said:
In addition to that warranty my dealer also gave me a 4 year/50,000 mile roadside assistance warranty. It is warrantied by a 3rd party. This was at no additional charge. I guess it isn't being made available everywhere?

The dealer did not give you this. It is part of the VW warranty. Everyone gets this.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
Auf Wiedersehen! said:
C) Pff.. performance?? Are you seriously trying to tell us that your Si performs better than the GTI? It might have just been me but I felt no connection with the Si. It just annoys me how sluggish it is below 6500 RPM and how you have to rev the piss out of it to get some enjoyment. I need my torque!

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1533983&page=2

This guy ran a 14.7 with a CAI, with time slips. Another member at fgcoupe ran a 14.8 stock, with no CAI, with time slips.

In some cases, yes, the Si can do very well for itself. In fact, the 15.1 second rated 1/4 mile appears to be conservative across the board.

The GTI may very well turn out to be a high milage vehicle, and when properly maintained, I would hope that it would be. Again, I have no problem with the GTI, and I was in the market for one. The big picture overall steered me away personally, but I really don't care what other people want to do.

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
FYI Transport canada posts city/hiway mileage on all new cars (a 12"x12" window sticker...) and according to them the MKV gets something insane like 41MPG hiway. I expect mine next week and will post when(if!) I get any numbers like that.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
When I was researching the GTI, I came across several links on google for VW electrical issues. Epinions had a bunch, Edmunds Town Hall, etc. Google it once, and you'll see that there is evidence there, so I don't know how bad the issues were or are, but there has to be some truth if there are so many people reporting it.