GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any tips to give when buying a Gti?

Fives

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 2Dr Pkg 0 DSG TR
I would get the 6MT based purely on the fact that your mom wouldn't be able to drive it. I would never let my mom drive my GTI :lol:

nectar

crab in my shoemouth
it's pretty much all been said.

i looked at edmunds to get invoice pricing, and TMV (not sure if it's accurate or not...but...every little bit helps), ended up paying 250 over invoice.

oh..one thing to add... don't tell them what you WANT your payment to be. they can make math work very much in their favor that way. first time i went in i made that mistake, and after leaving (i didn't buy the car that day), was doing the math and would have gotten worked. so i called them back, told them what i wanted to pay for the car, what i was going to put down, and what finance rate i wanted. nothing more..nothing less. they called back in 10 minutes and told me to come in (=

i didn't get any free mats though (i was so excited i forgot to even ask for them). bought em. they're definitely worth it.
________
buy herbalaire

Last edited:

RvBCons/SodomySquirrel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Can people tell me what options they got with there gti?
Color, rims, packages, options and price?
So I can get an idea of what to ask for and what I went in the car =]

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
Different in the US IMO. You are allowed to negotiate more. Here in Canada, they're just like "take it or leave it".

I suggest you read up on how much invoice is for you and also research some other cars and prices that you want to compare with. Of course, test driving it would be something you'd want to do. Though, I test drove mine for 10 minutes then signed the papers.

As about finance/lease rates (hard to lower but worth a shot). See what other freebies you can get. Free oil change? I heard some guy got a free BBQ set once haha

Price they will not drop too much since they have to make at least a little profit on but as long as you do research you'll be fine.

Also, check to see if other dealers have the same car. If so just tell them that they have the same one and have it for a lower price. Sometimes they price match.

Good luck!
Know what the invoice price for Canadian 08 GTIs are? I will be buying a GTI within the next month or so.

Vduber91

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 MkV Golf GTI
Don't worry about the not being able to drive stick thing. The clutch on this car is the nicest thing in the world :thumbup:

I drove mine home after only about 5ish miles on my dad's bimmer and a jetta that I had tried while at the dealership earlier. Stalled a few times :cry:, but it all worked out :w00t:

I'll never forget... right after I bought her and was attempting to drive her off the lot I accidentally popped the clutch and stalled on the lot :lol:
Good times...

RvBCons/SodomySquirrel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Don't worry about the not being able to drive stick thing. The clutch on this car is the nicest thing in the world :thumbup:

I drove mine home after only about 5ish miles on my dad's bimmer and a jetta that I had tried while at the dealership earlier. Stalled a few times :cry:, but it all worked out :w00t:

I'll never forget... right after I bought her and was attempting to drive her off the lot I accidentally popped the clutch and stalled on the lot :lol:
Good times...

lol I don't wanna go through that embarrassment.
But some part of me DOES want that DSG

PooLeArMor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 CW GTi
lol I don't wanna go through that embarrassment.
But some part of me DOES want that DSG

there is no embarrassment at all, no one born to know how to drive..........

dont go with the DSG if u want a stick..........

RvBCons/SodomySquirrel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
there is no embarrassment at all, no one born to know how to drive..........

dont go with the DSG if u want a stick..........

yeah everyone is telling me to go with stick.

has anyone compared the regular speakers to the premium ones?
Any Difference?
Are the premium ones like a Bose, JBL, etc brand?

labelskate

Deutschland MKV
Car(s)
mkv gti
yeah everyone is telling me to go with stick.

has anyone compared the regular speakers to the premium ones?
Any Difference?
Are the premium ones like a Bose, JBL, etc brand?

pretty sure that all 08's get premium audio now, and the speakers aren't great, the head unit is what defines premium audio I think. Definitely test drive DSG too. the stick in these cars is ok but DSG is what makes a mkv gti a "fast"

I've had both and I always regretted not at least test driving a dsg gti when I got my first 6mt gti.

also, get the votex body kit. you will definitely regret it later and it costs almost twice as much to buy it later on.

donbondave

Passed Driver's Ed
i test drove... a gli and a gti DSG right after one another. They were nice... but lets be real here... they are automatics.

I think you're leaning to DSG is just apprehension for driving stick.. ya its kinda scary in the beginning.. but then its fun; you get a real sense of driving when you have to drive the car... not let it drive you.

ever wonder why BMW and Mercedes really expensive cars come in stick?? :eyebulge:

get a stick. :biggrin:

EcoRI

Bueller? Bueller?
i test drove... a gli and a gti DSG right after one another. They were nice... but lets be real here... they are automatics.

DSG is NOT an automatic, at least in the traditional sense of the word. There is no torque converter at all.

To the OP: If you haven't test driven DSG I highly recommend you do so- it really is a blast! Also, you should consider what kind of driving you plan to do. If you commute a lot in dense traffic DSG is a savior. :thumbup:

ever wonder why BMW and Mercedes really expensive cars come in stick?? :eyebulge:

nope- most high performance cars now-a-days come with direct shift/ sequential manual gearboxes similar to DSG. The trend in the industry is changing...

oh, and p.s. to the OP: definitely be ready to walk out- nothing motivates them more than the possibility of losing a sale.