GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

E-mailed Carbonio about MK5 Intake....PICS

Newcastle

Drag Racing Champion
GTI 2.0T said:
I really dont want to be rude or something.. but whats the point in replacing the original intake if there are no power gains, just looks?

Who says there are no power gains?

What I AM saying is an intake system should not decrease torque, which many do while increasing HP.

In extremely simplified terms, HP determines how fast a car can go, torque determines how fast it gets there.

Would you like to decrease your acceleration so that you can go 20 mph faster? I know I wouldn't.

This is from the Newspeed website btw.
Would you ever run a marathon breathing out of a small paper bag? So why ask your engine to rev all the way to redline breathing through the restrictive factory airbox? The plastic factory airbox is good at muffling intake noise and enhancing low rpm/low speed engine performance, but becomes very restrictive when the engine is operating in the higher rpm range – where most performance drivers need it.

In my mind, with this engine in particular, you want your HP and torque to peak between 2000 RPM and 4500 RPM. If we were talking about the new Civic Si, then I would have a different opinion.

Personally, without numbers in front of me, the Carbonio looks like the best design in order to give both increases in HP and torque in the needed range.

I know you weren't being rude. Please don't think I am either.

All this is off the original topic anyway. We will need to see several more intakes on the market and detailed dyno results to make our purchase decisions.

Newcastle

marx92x

Autocross Newbie
I know where you're going with this hi-end hp V. lo-end torque. Seems silly to put an intake system like the Neuspeed on a VW that rellies so much on low-end grunt.

Any word yet on official numbers from Carbonio?

Newcastle

Drag Racing Champion
marx92x said:
I know where you're going with this hi-end hp V. lo-end torque. Seems silly to put an intake system like the Neuspeed on a VW that rellies so much on low-end grunt.

Any word yet on official numbers from Carbonio?

I emailed them after the initial response asking for dyno results and flow numbers, but I have not heard back from them yet. If and when I receive them I will post them. I think I emailed them on Friday, so hopefully they will reply Monday, but who knows, we may just end up getting the numbers from their website. :tongue:

Brandon

Oval Newbie
I wonder if we'll see any of this stuff down here.

budgy

Passed Driver's Ed
How can anyone come in and just claim that and intake makes you lose torque but gain horsepower.... If an increase in horsepower occurs and RPM's were not raised then torque was increased somewhere along the powerband as well.

Whether or not torque was decreased in low RPM's or not is also questionable...where are the dyno's too substantiate any claims of either power loss or power gain?

Tay2610

Autocross Newbie
you have to understand that everything on an engine is designed that way for a purpose. what alot of people dont understand is that just adding a high flow filter will net you gains comparible to an cold air intake. i believe that carbino designed this intake with factory reliablility and drivibility in mind while improving flow for more horsepower. im a honda man myself and this stradegy reminds me alot of what mugen does with there intakes. i really think that if your looking for horsepower alone and dont want to spend alot of money just get a filter. i also have never seen the inside of the stock intake, but im guessing that carbino has thrown out some of the baffling designed by vw to keep the sound low.

Tay, you have a point, but what I'm saying is that they are only replacing the part with a carbon fiber one. There's not much of a way to increase air flow, and there are also no baffles on the part being replaced.

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
KevinFastMkV said:
yo vdubGTi!!hows the carbonio on ur mk4 works n hows the sound? can u describe about it a little? i wanna have some deep n aggresive sound for my fast:biggrin: some pssssss at the end would b better

Hey Kevin man, I wish I could find the thread in vwvortex.com that I saw a video clip. Believe me everyone thinks I have a blow off valve and that growling sound when you hit the pedal is very sweet.

This is how I would describe it:
When you hit the gas you hear a nice growling noise.
You shift gears or release the gass you hear the big pssssssssssssssssss. Believe me if you would've heard it you would barrely notice the difference between a BV and the Carbonio. In fact, in a forum in vwvortex.com people said that you wouldn't need a BV for the pssssssssssss part. Go search at vwvortex.com about carbonio and you should find some video's of it and you will see.
And yes, I have done comparison with the P-Flow and AEM and the people that had them were amazed. One of them went and bought the Carbonio. Also the power gains are more not that there is a lot but more than the rest. I raced the guy with the AEM and won by a half car.

Tay2610

Autocross Newbie
I understand what your saying. Considering that there are no baffles restricting air flow in the stock box i would say that you are primarly paying for brand name and material. Carbon fiber is expensive. I believe that this intake will perform as good if not better than any other intake to be offered. Although i will say that if you dont want to spend money on cosmetics and exotic material a high flow drop in filter will suit your needs just fine. Although not being able to look at the stock design i would say that somewhere in the system vw has restricted/diverted airflow to cut down accoustics.

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
Here is some good info about different setups. 18turbo.com says:

Panel/Cone/Cold Air Induction
There are endless options when it comes to replacing the filter element for your 1.8T. Heres just a short list of the possibilities:

- Stock airbox, stock filter
- Stock airbox, panel filter
- Stock airbox, panel filter, cutout side of airbox
- No airbox, cone filter, NO heat shield <- worst setup
- No airbox, cone filter, heat shield installed
- No airbox, cold air induction, cone filter
- No airbox, no filter <- not recommended!

Stock airbox, stock filter
Highs - cheap to replace, comes factory equipped, sucks in cool air
Lows - restrictive filter and airbox, no diverter (DV) sound

Stock airbox, panel filter
Highs - cheap filter lasts long time, slightly louder DV sound, sucks in cool air
Lows - restrictive airbox, minimal gains

Stock airbox, panel filter, cutout side of airbox
Highs - cheap filter lasts long time, much louder DV sound, sucks in more air
Lows - still retains restrictive airbox despite larger inlet, sucks in warmer air

No airbox, cone filter, NO heat shield
Highs - much louder DV sound, sucks in more air than panel filter
Lows - sucks in HOT air which hurts performance

No airbox, cone filter, heat shield installed
Highs - much louder DV sound, sucks in more air than panel filter
Lows - sucks in warm air despite heat shield

No airbox, cold air induction, cone filter
Highs - loudest DV sound, sucks in COOL air, looks good installed
Lows - most expensive, longer installation time

No airbox, no filter <- not recommended!
Highs - no filter = no restriction, its FREE
Lows - can lead to major engine/turbo damage

Price
Prices for a performance intake will range from $49-$299. The lower priced being the panel filter replacements and the high end being the cold air induction kits.

Performance
Lets just put it this way, an intake isn't going to give you HUGE gains! Actually an intake isn't even going to give you decent gains at all. You'll be lucky to see about 5hp from an intake upgrade. The other benefits of an intake upgrade include improved throttle response. That is, when you hit the gas it goes, less hesitation!
Of the various intake options there are to choose from the only two that I would even consider are a simple drop in filter retaining the stock box or a complete CAI.

Also, I am pretty sure that this would apply to 2.0T as well.
Source:

http://www.18turbo.com/enter.html

Also, APR recommends Carbonio.

Last edited:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I think the big argument on this carbonio is that it is meerly a larger inlet and nothing else. You still have the restrictive factory airbox. I think the best would be a true CAI for this car. If the Carbonio also replaced the ribbed tubes and air box it would be a great item. Unless......does the Carbonio pipe actually go down below the bumper? Hard to tell.

Tay2610

Autocross Newbie
The only knowledge i have to base on is honda. If you look at a company like spoon when it comes to intake (s2000) they only offer a filter, snorkel, and instructions on how to modify the stock box(remove baffles). You need to understand the purpose of the engine and what the engineers where designing. vw engineers are not stupid people and im guessing that the engine performance is somewhat based on the airflow and direction that the stock box provides. Intake performance is not defined by cold air alone. There is also different def. on performance for example i conventional cai might have a higher peak output than a filter or the carbino while sacrificing low end and midrange performance. To my knowledge this seems to be the underline factor in most of these arguments conventional cai seem to have a slightly higher output (1-2 h.p.) while sacrificing the low and midrange while aftermarket boxes seem to increase performance throughout the powerband. Im no math matician (or speller) but ive heard this is caused by a decrease in pressure associated with cai.