GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Mileage Driver + GTI = Bad Idea?

starshippooper

Passed Driver's Ed
I have never owned a VW and have always enjoyed bullet proof Honda reliability. In fact, I spend 8-12 hours a day designing them for a living and know exactly how much emphasis is placed on the quality of these vehicles. With that said, I cannot deny the appeal of the GTI over the SI or even the RSX. After only one test drive, I am locked in a heated mental battle over purchasing the GTI or another Honda product.

It all comes down to reliability over the long haul. I drive a total of 82 miles a day to work. I enjoy the commute and would enjoy it even more if I had the GTI to play with. However, with annual mileage averaging 26k-28k, I am not willing to dump tons of money into something that is only 3 years old or worse. Quite the dilemma. It seems as though true VW fanatics have developed a kind of acceptance to theses issues because they enjoy the products so much.

So, any insight on high mileage driving with the GTI? Thanks, great forum.:thumbsup:

LordNikon

Autocross Champion
As much fun as the GTI is, I don't think you would expect the same reliability as your Honda. Since you cover a lot of miles everyday, a TDI would suit you better. Like myself, I also face the same dilemma and I'm waiting for the new MKV Golf 2.0 TDI. (If it ever comes :rolleyes: )

I can't speak for long term reliability, but I know a couple of friends who own GTIs and they only covered 2,000 km ~ 1200 miles, no problems so far.

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
I dont know about this. Granted my last GTI had only had around 27k at the end of 3yrs but my previous MKIV I hammered driving up and down the UK for 2yrs and it never game me any problems. I never used to drive it weekends as I had my Jap MR2 turbo then but been driving GTI's now for near on 10yrs and always found em reliable.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
starshippooper After only one test drive said:
Significant reliability problems with VWs is a myth. I have owned them for the last 25 years and know.

And you have hit the nail on the head. No amount of reliability can cover for Honda's extremely boring driving experiance.

gti5dr06

Autocross Newbie
reliability problems are not a myth, we all know about the passat's electrical issues for one along with the jetta's issues, honda's worst problems are rattling which though annoying, don't leave you stranded at the side of the road

as far as honda's being boring, that could be true for the base civics, but could also be said for the regular golfs as their acceleration rates are similar.

and just so you know, I currently drive a "boring" civic which hasn't had any problems, but do plan on getting the 5dr gti when it finally gets here.

im hoping the fact that its not built in mexico will make a significant improvement in their reliability

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I'm currently covering about 25-26k a year, and my GTI handles it just fine. A lot of it is highway driving so the gas mileage isn't too bad (I'm averaging 27-35mpg, depending on the mood my Fast is in...). At a steady 80mph you'll do just fine, and I'd rather the GTI over a TDI simply because of the extra "fun" factor.

Get the GTI over a Honda... as Jeremy Clarkson said, if you buy a Honda you end up with a Honda, if you buy a Volkswagen you don't.

EDIT - also, as far as reliability is concerned, I've had zero trouble. A piece of trim on the dash started rattling once, I took it in and they fixed it in an hour under warrenty.

gti5dr06

Autocross Newbie
cmdrfire said:
I'm currently covering about 25-26k a year, and my GTI handles it just fine. A lot of it is highway driving so the gas mileage isn't too bad (I'm averaging 27-35mpg, depending on the mood my Fast is in...). At a steady 80mph you'll do just fine, and I'd rather the GTI over a TDI simply because of the extra "fun" factor.

Get the GTI over a Honda... as Jeremy Clarkson said, if you buy a Honda you end up with a Honda, if you buy a Volkswagen you don't.

EDIT - also, as far as reliability is concerned, I've had zero trouble. A piece of trim on the dash started rattling once, I took it in and they fixed it in an hour under warrenty.

how many miles on the gti so far?

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
I went with the 2006 Si, as some of my fans here know. This is far from a boring car to drive, and you don't have to take my word for it...every review says that.

When it came down to it, considering how well a 6 speed Si competes to a 6 speed GTI, I took resale value and reliability and performance.

Bouston

Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
Slowride said:
When it came down to it, considering how well a 6 speed Si competes to a 6 speed GTI, I took resale value and reliability and performance.

Out of curiosity which value did the GTI lack?

Bouston

Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
cmdrfire said:
26,700 miles or so thus far. Just had my second service last week.

Wow :eek: . That's a lot of driving. When do you find time to sleep?:biggrin:

cmdrfire

Bouston said:
Wow :eek: . That's a lot of driving. When do you find time to sleep?:biggrin:

MY FAST THINKS SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!

I calculated how much time I've spent in my car over the course of the year... it's something crazy like a month and a half actually inside my car.

Guess I must love it a lot, huh :wink:

starshippooper

Passed Driver's Ed
All good perspectives. Thanks. I also can't side with the "bad VW quality myth" crowd based on simple independent research. I am glad to hear that MKV GTI is getting some high mileage workouts without any major problems. At this point I am thinking I will wait for the 07 model just incase any last minute glitches are being troubleshooted and I will cross my fingers for launch control and painted lower body panels. It will be a hard to wait, but luckily I have my trusty 06' Civic to keep my company. Thanks again.

Newcastle

Drag Racing Champion
I dont know if this is a dealer to dealer variance, but when I bought mine it included a 4 yr 50k mile roadside assistance warranty, even if I run out of gas. This is my first VW and although I personally know a lot of people who have never had a lick of problem out of their VW's, I think this was a nice touch in addition to the much better warranty than the Honda has.