GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone order a 4-door GTI yet?

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'm probably going to head down to the local dealer this weekend and give the GTI a test drive but I'm 80% sure I want a 4-door. Does anyone have the latest ETA of the 4-door? I just want to calibrate my BS meter before i hit the lot. How does putting a deposit down or ordering a model not released yet usually work? Would I work out all the details of the deal now or once the cars start to actually ship?

LordNikon

Autocross Champion
I haven't ordered one but in Hong Kong, the dealer said the build time is 5-6 months. The 4 door GTIs are made in South Africa though. The U.S. ones should be made in Germany. Build time should be quicker? :iono:

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
It's not really about the build time. They aren't even shipping to the US yet but last I heard they were supposed to start showing up in July. If that is still accurate then I'm happy to put my order in for exactly what I want and grab the first 4-door my dealer gets. Curious if anyone has heard if July is still about right.

MarkVGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah im pretty sure the only sixth gen golf in the US right now is the GTI MKV. Last time I talked to the dealer here they had no idea...either that or they're just not telling. I have a feeling that when the rest of the line comes out we will be seeing alot more of these around.

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
A41.8QTM said:
I'm probably going to head down to the local dealer this weekend and give the GTI a test drive but I'm 80% sure I want a 4-door. Does anyone have the latest ETA of the 4-door? I just want to calibrate my BS meter before i hit the lot. How does putting a deposit down or ordering a model not released yet usually work? Would I work out all the details of the deal now or once the cars start to actually ship?

Well, I already put down my deposit. Ordered her in January actually right after driving a 2 door. Timing will work out well for us as our Passat lease is up the end of July. SOP is supposedly this month with "official" release in late July. Bearing in mind the "official" 3-door release was Feb 11th, and many people on the coasts had taken delivery by then, I am hoping for the end of June/first of July.

h82bslo

Autocross Newbie
if you are willing to wait until the cars are on the lot you won't have to pay as much. putting a deposit down and ordering one will always give the leverage back to the dealership. i personlly don't like the idea of them taking more money then they're suppose to.
i guess that's just me.
well, i had a mazda 3 for little bit before the outback and the gti, and i dealt with a dealership on one that they were going to order, and they were going to charge me more compared with the one that they had on the lot. of i took the one in the lot. i didn't mind, cause it was the alternate color that i wanted and it had more options. so comparing the savings and things i was getting in the car. i felt better about getting that one. so yes, you're able to order one with the exact options you want.

azmcs

h82bslo said:
if you are willing to wait until the cars are on the lot you won't have to pay as much. putting a deposit down and ordering one will always give the leverage back to the dealership. i personlly don't like the idea of them taking more money then they're suppose to.
i guess that's just me.

Paying $500 over invoice. Deale ris gonna give me $500 loyalty even if it is gonna, $1k if it is better. No backend costs, or F&I bullcrap.

Helps to know the sales manager.

gti oz

MotoGP tragic
hey folks, down here in australia we only get the 4 door GTi, wait is normally about 6 months. My dealer told me the other day that if someone was to order a GTi now, it will have an 07 build plate!

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I was told July for the 5 door as well. You're at the advantage if you kind find the car on a lot. They love feeling like they "sold" you the car when you come in "just looking". Coming in to order one is something they won't see for months and they are in to the "now" thing all day every day. When I was in sales if I even mentioned order my salesmanager looked like he wanted to punch me and would say "Can't you sell from stock???***&&&&".

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
You might want to check with your dealer again. The 5-door isn't even in the US computer system yet so you didn't officially order a 5-door. Sure, you might have a deposit in and the dealer might have told you that your order is in but AFAIK that's impossible. Orders are supposed to open up in April for a June/July delivery. I was just at the VW dealer today and got the most up-to-date info they had available and test drove a 3-door.

azmcs said:
Well, I already put down my deposit. Ordered her in January actually right after driving a 2 door. Timing will work out well for us as our Passat lease is up the end of July. SOP is supposedly this month with "official" release in late July. Bearing in mind the "official" 3-door release was Feb 11th, and many people on the coasts had taken delivery by then, I am hoping for the end of June/first of July.

azmcs

A41.8QTM said:
You might want to check with your dealer again. The 5-door isn't even in the US computer system yet so you didn't officially order a 5-door. Sure, you might have a deposit in and the dealer might have told you that your order is in but AFAIK that's impossible. Orders are supposed to open up in April for a June/July delivery. I was just at the VW dealer today and got the most up-to-date info they had available and test drove a 3-door.

You're really debating semantics here. True, the car hasn't been "ordered" with VWoA, you're right that is impossible, but my car will be the first one he does order in late April. SOP is the middle of this month, he can order display/advetising stuff the first of April and place an "offical" order in mid to late April for a July delivery. Good friends with him so I don't think he would be giving me the runaround.

Depends on how you look at it. I was willing to put some money down to know I was getting exactly what I wanted for the price I wanted, and have locked in the $500 loyalty cash even if that goes away to the general public as I have money ona deal. It's down on paper and that's what counts in a legal sense.