GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

keep my tt or buy a mkv gti?

Jay S.

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and i am considering purchasing a mkv golf w/ pkg2 and dsg. My current car is a audi tt 225q. I have driven the golf and love the way it drives espcially with the dsg, i also like the fact the i can actually fit four people in it comfortably. My problem is i am torn between the awd and looks of the tt or the functionallity and sweet engine of the gti. If anyone has hdriven both cars i would love to hear some input. Also if anyone has any nice exterior mods to their gti i would love to see some pics.
THansk for the help Jay:confused:

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
Buy the GTI IMO it looks better, OR you can wait for the new TT

101st_IanC

Autocross Newbie
Jay S. said:
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and i am considering purchasing a mkv golf w/ pkg2 and dsg. My current car is a audi tt 225q. I have driven the golf and love the way it drives espcially with the dsg, i also like the fact the i can actually fit four people in it comfortably. My problem is i am torn between the awd and looks of the tt or the functionallity and sweet engine of the gti. If anyone has hdriven both cars i would love to hear some input. Also if anyone has any nice exterior mods to their gti i would love to see some pics.

Welcome Jay

I had a TT - but a new baby due in the next week has forced me to make the change.
The TT was the best car I've had - even though there were some minor problems (coils, dashpod, windows dropping)
I decided the Golf was the best compromise as the power and torque are similar. The TT had that turbo surge whereas the Golf has a more consistent power delivery. The TT ride could be harsh (I had 18" RS4's) and the Golf seems firm but not so harsh.
I'm sure I'll miss the quattro - especially at the Traffic Light Grand Prix where is was alost impossible to spin the wheels.
I have yet to test the car fully - one test drive was all I had - but enough to convince me..

In all honesty when the baby is old enough to buckle up himself I'll be testing the MkII TT - but I may also go 3dr R32.. or R36 if it ever appears

Jay S.

Passed Driver's Ed
101st_IanC said:
Welcome Jay

I had a TT - but a new baby due in the next week has forced me to make the change.
The TT was the best car I've had - even though there were some minor problems (coils, dashpod, windows dropping)
I decided the Golf was the best compromise as the power and torque are similar. The TT had that turbo surge whereas the Golf has a more consistent power delivery. The TT ride could be harsh (I had 18" RS4's) and the Golf seems firm but not so harsh.
I'm sure I'll miss the quattro - especially at the Traffic Light Grand Prix where is was alost impossible to spin the wheels.
I have yet to test the car fully - one test drive was all I had - but enough to convince me..

In all honesty when the baby is old enough to buckle up himself I'll be testing the MkII TT - but I may also go 3dr R32.. or R36 if it ever appears

Thanks for the input it is nice to have input from someone who has had a tt and moved on to a golf. I am considering the golf for the same reason you did. my son is three and he fits in the tt ok by himself, but it is hard when i have another person taht would like to come along as well. my main concern is the loss of the awd, but do you find the cars similar in power or do you find yourself wishing you had the tt's power? I am also going to take the new tt for a ride i hear the backseats will be bigger and actually usable for people over 5 years old.

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
Jay S. said:
Hi all,

You should look at the audi a3. It is the same as the golf except you have the option to get awd or fwd. Still has 2.0t fsi with dsg

GTI2007

Icranon said:
You should look at the audi a3. It is the same as the golf except you have the option to get awd or fwd. Still has 2.0t fsi with dsg

according to the site of Audi USA the A3 with the 2.0 TFSI engine isn't available with awd only with fwd

GTI2007

I also checked the sites of Audi UK and Audi Belgium and the A3 2.0 TFSI is available with awd for the manual gearbox only. The DSG version is only available with fwd. The only A3 that has awd for the manual gearbox as for the DSG gearbox is the 3.2 liter A3

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
The A3 with the 3.2 is also nearly a 40k car. Sure it's nominally faster than a GTI but it's rather humdrum looking by comparison and much more expensive to maintain. I'd also be concerned about resale because I think the A3 has been a much harder sell than Audi was anticipating. if you MUST have 4 doors, get yourself a 4 door in July. The A3 is a fine car, but here in the US it's mostly an answer to a question no one asked.

101st_IanC

Autocross Newbie
Jay S. said:
my main concern is the loss of the awd, but do you find the cars similar in power or do you find yourself wishing you had the tt's power? .

Sorry can't answer that one yet as I don't get mine until early April.
During the test drive it didn't feel as quick - but I think that was down to the linear power delivery rather than the turbo shove at 3k the TT has. According to the speedo and rev counter it was similar in performance..
Also the traction was amazing for FWD. No real scrabble from the tyres and the it felt like my bravery would let go before the car - as in the TT.

Of course it is difficult to test the limits with a salesguy sat next to you and only 40 minutes to get the feel for it..

I guess if the power becomes an issue then I'll chip it.. there were many occaisions when the TT didn't have enough power for me.

I believe you can disable the quattro on the TT by pulling the handbrake to the first click (no light on the dash). I tried it (once and never again) and the front wheelspun like crazy so I assume this is the case - all I can say is the Golf traction is way better as the TT was almost undrivable.

Good luck with your decision - I'll post more thoughts when I get mine and have hads a proper play..

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
Jay S. if you want to trade in you TT, you shouldn't even think about purchasing the GTI and of course that is if you are in the market for this type of car. The TT's pull off the line will be unmatched by the GTI but, once after 2nd gear you wont notice to much difference. I had a friend that owned a TT and drove it quite often. But if you are looking for an all wheel drive then the R32 would be the best choise but it sucks that we don't have one.

Jay S.

Passed Driver's Ed
i actually already though of the a3 but it is just way to expensive for what you get and the golf is better looking anyway. Also the only ay you can get awd is w/ the 3.2 but that would leave tunability very low.

The main reason i am considering the gti is i love the dsg, and the interior is great, both the quality and the extra room impressed me. My main concern would be the traction, i also have a 250 whp turbo integra and that car is a nightmare for traction i want to make sure the gti will not act like that once i start modding it.