GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE mk5 GTI turbo back exhaust installed!

todeshandler

Passed Driver's Ed
Big thanks to the whole team at AWE for producing such a kick ass system (your guy's skills are really top notch), Mike @ eMotion Autowerks for lift time and help installing, GIAC for software that rips, and J Moss@Torque-Factory :thumbup:

The tone is perfect. Zero drone even in the "drone zone" (2500-3300 or highway cruising speeds). Fitment is perfect! Putting the exhaust on is like chipping it all over again. Those stock cats are a HUGE restriction. I should have dyno results first thing next week. Fit and finish is also great, nothing was overlooked, clean welds throughout, no bugger welds that seem to be so common now adays from other companies.

Now some info about the system. It is 2.5" turbo back system. It maintains the 2.5" diameter from turbo outlet to where it splits to the tips, unlike other companies which use mufflers and/or resonators with internal diameters smaller then the tube sizing which creates a bottleneck. With exhausts, it is only as big as the smallest point. So if you have a 3" exhaust that gets reduced to 2.25" somewhere in the system you might as well just have a 2.25" system because that is all the flow you are getting through it. Think of it as a funnel, no matter how big it is on top it will still only flow as fast as the little hole on the bottom will let it. Currently there are 2 different cats in testing. I am testing a 200 cell metalic cat from HJS for AWE which is the same as the one that Miltek is pimping so hard =)

Now on to the good stuff.

Pic of complete system fresh out of the box.

A few pics of the sexy downpipe.

A few pics of the stock downpipe for comparison. Look at that nasty cat right where the dp connects to the turbo housing.

Pic comparing the dps.

Pics comparing the cat back system.

Pics of each of the parts in the AWE system.

Part 1 - downpipe

Part 2 - sexy HJS cat

Part 3 - resonator

Part 4 & 5 - bend & 2nd resonator

Part 6 - bend

Part 7 - ultra sexy tips

Now by this time I am sure you guys are ready for sound clips. Keep in mind the system sounds much different in person. The microphone on my digi cam is not very high quality.

Exhaust clip at idle.
Exhaust clip revving and various RPMs

I'll try and snap some pics of the tips, etc once I clean my car :laugh:

If there is any need I can write a faq for how to uninstall/install a aftermarket exhaust on mk5 GTI, we took step by step pics. I was going to post them here but this thread is already too long ;)

Gulfer

Administrator
Staff member
Car(s)
Nothing
Awesome man, if you writeup a DIY for the exaust let us know for sure it'll be a great addition to the site, thanks

:thumbup: :thumbup:

todeshandler

Passed Driver's Ed
Yup. Same Todeshandler from VIPc, Audizine, AW, Tex, etc. ;)

I don't know if I have ever posted pics of my car on here so here is a pic of the car the exhaust went on that a guy here in Vegas took.

todeshandler

Passed Driver's Ed
"Estimated" MSRP at this time:

$589.95 for the GTI catback
$599.95 for the Jetta catback
$499.95 for the modular downpipe with ceramic core 400 cell cat (Mk5/A3)
$29.95 for optional test pipe (off road use only)
$749.95 for the modular downpipe with metal core high flow 200 cell cat (Mk5/A3)

todeshandler

Passed Driver's Ed
the_saint said:
I was thinking they looked like wheels from the 'big Audi'...sorry, I'm new to the Euros, lol.

What size? Those things probably way a ton huh? Do they affect the 'fun factor' of the FAST?
18x8. They are super light actually. They are full forged aluminum. 18lbs each :eek: crazy huh. They look like the are heavy but are just the opposite :wink:

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Looking forward to before and after dyno overlay. Looks like some nice stuff there!!