GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Well...it was either the GTI or the Si, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

herrstreet

Touring Car Newbie
the_saint said:
What exactly does it take to be a [new car]salesman?

What I basically meant was that since we all like VW's to a perhaps slightly unhealthy degree, we probably would be good people to explain to the layman why he should want one ASAP.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
herrstreet said:
What I basically meant was that since we all like VW's to a perhaps slightly unhealthy degree, we probably would be good people to explain to the layman why he should want one ASAP.
I wasn't trying to bust your chops or anything. I'm curious because I think it might be kinda fun to sell these things part time (and hopefully get an employee discount :biggrin: )

Double-V

Go Kart Champion
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
You've now been schooled.

Wow, is ignorance bliss?

FWIW, I have a 99 Civic SiR - I chose it over the GTI 7 years ago. This time around, I picked the GTI over the Si. It has nothing to do with German vs. Japanese - rather what I prefer. I can't help but think that badge snobs miss out on the joys of life.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
As a majority, product knowledge isn't that paramount. I took pride in knowing my vehicles inside and out, but I seriously doubt it gained me too many sales. There's a saying in the car business, "Buyers are liars". They said Joe Smuch across town offered me xxxx for my car, what are going to do? "Sir, I appreciate the fact that price is important to you, as it's important to all my customers. Have you given thought to where you rather spend your money? ". I always found that the people that beat be down to invoice or less and ran me around the lot for hours were the worst customers ever. They'd come back every week complaining about the car or the deal and I regretted not just sending them away. Those who paid the sticker price or in some cases, more, loved me and told everyone about me!!! Go figure! Product knowledge only comes in handy when you have a car freak like us, but like you said, most of us know what we want and what we're willing to pay and we have set the internet on fire. I'd look more for a pleasant person who is willing to listen to you without saying you're crazy and who isn't being obviously pressured by a overly aggressive sales manager trying to stick you in a car. Hopefully you don't have a trade in.

jas1448

Passed Driver's Ed
My first sales lady did not even know how to drive a stick. I actually pulled my GTI off on of those display ramps. I kinda freaked when she asked me to do it. All I could think about was I hope they have liability insurance.

All went well and now that GTI is in my garage.

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
jas1448 said:
My first sales lady did not even know how to drive a stick. I actually pulled my GTI off on of those display ramps. I kinda freaked when she asked me to do it. All I could think about was I hope they have liability insurance.

All went well and now that GTI is in my garage.

Damn:eek: . That was a dumb move on her part.

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
Back when I bought my Suby the salesman knew NOTHING about the car. After the deal was made I found out he was actually a Hyundai salesman :rolleyes: . It was one of those dealerships where there's like 3 or 4 car makers/dealerships put toghether.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
your thinking about re-sale before you've even put 100 miles on the car. That's the reason you bought the Honda. It's a nice car, it's the safe choice. But it doesn't hold a candle to the GTI, as far as a "Driver's Vehicle" is concerned. Just my Opinion...

Slowride said:
I will get some shortly. We have ice and rain here, so I won't bother until we get a little sun and some good lighting.

Also, did you all see this?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060302/ap_on_bi_ge/autos_consumer_reports

That article makes me feel a little better about my purchase, at least from a resale stand point :). I don't have the actual issue yet, but I would like to see the testing categories and scores.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Slowride said:
Really? How is that?

Read the post dude. It's my opinion, it's not fact. You are not going to get anyone on this site to admit that driving a Japanese car is as or more enjoyable than driving a European one....however the word "enjoyment" is the key phrase. To my pops enjoyment means reliablity, resale value, consumer reports, blah blah blah...that's his enjoyment. Mine is the GTI...that's all i'm saying.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
There is a difference between Japanese and German cars.

"joy's of life" what the F R U talking about? Surely driving around a HONDA Civic is not considered a "joy of life" Everyone is entitled to there opinion. I'm too young and broke to be a snob, so you can throw that point of view out the window. As to my statement about the EURO vehicles VS. the Japanese ones, I stand by it firmly. Go back and read the post carefully. I respect both views, I'm just stating the differences. 7 years ago you made the safe choice and got the Civic, now you're confident in the GTI, does your decision make you "ignorant."

Double-V said:
Wow, is ignorance bliss?

FWIW, I have a 99 Civic SiR - I chose it over the GTI 7 years ago. This time around, I picked the GTI over the Si. It has nothing to do with German vs. Japanese - rather what I prefer. I can't help but think that badge snobs miss out on the joys of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.