GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Would you get a demo car?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Heck yes, and I'd ask for a serious amount off too!

BurntGauge

AWD > FWD
MHS216 said:
I don't know if people expect to get a car with 0 or 1 mile or what? This simply isn't how it works, as has been stated before. These cars are designed to go for many thousand miles. 120 initial miles won't do a thing.

Never said I wanted a 0 miles car...but getting a 7 miles car is not unreasonable. Then again, I got there the DAY it got there from the boat. So that's a plus!
:thumbsup:

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
haha, no I wasn't calling you out Gabriel. I think some people think a "new" car is gonna have no miles, when the fact is that some aren't test driven and still have a few miles on them.

L-Dub

Go Kart Newbie
MHS216 said:
haha, no I wasn't calling you out Gabriel. I think some people think a "new" car is gonna have no miles, when the fact is that some aren't test driven and still have a few miles on them.

Do you think a new car with 100 miles was never test driven or used as a personal vehicle for someone at the dealership? Of course a "new" car will have some miles on it, but for ME, it should not have over 100 or else it's been (ab)used by being a demo. Again, that's just my opinion.

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
Hell no I wouldn't buy a demo car... ESPECIALLY the one I drove... we'll leave it at that.

techcho

Ready to race!
From what I know, not all cars are brought to the dealership by trailer.
Dealerships have shared 'lots' outside of town which serve as extra storage.
Even if you order the vehicle, they will most often drive the car from the 'lot' to the dealership (40-100 mi.)

Therefore, the only time you would get a vehicle with <10 mi. on it was shipped via trailer to the dealership from the getgo.

Plus! these days, if a dealership gets... say 10 gti's... they will not reserve 1 of them as a demo, but rather cycle all of them through test-drives. (retarded IMO) And it all has to do with $$$ None of us want a DEMO.

I would be okay with anything <1000 mi. but anything over that is going to
need an explanation and a deep discount for me to consider it.

BurntGauge

AWD > FWD
I'll tell you a story about my buddy. Problem starts he wants a Mk5.5 RS GLI which is really rare. So we've been looking around for the best deal. He wants to trade in his '03 A4 1.8T Quattro w/Tiptronic and Sport Package. Why you ask? Because the 2.0T FSI rules compared to his motor...plus he thinks his turbo has been bad ever since it's been rebuilt due to a defect.

So he gets a call that there's a RS GLI up in Jax. So we go to see it. He tells me b4 we go that it's a demo car. Great, it's gonna be a POS. So we get in and we look at it. They were sorta smart in the respect that they put the clear bra on it to protect it from rocks and such. But the rims are all scuffed...all 4. Plus the interior doesnt look fresh and it has STAINS. It's sitting in the showroom and it has stains from who knows what. It also has 4700 miles. The sticker for this RS GLI Pkg 1 6MT is $25,800 or something like that. So they had reduced the price to 22,900. Well, we were immediately not impressed w/the car so the salesman drops it to 22,000. We hadnt driven it yet so he tells us to do so b4 we go on talking.

So we take her out and my buddy drives it and the clutch is MUCH less buttery than mine which is good since it's broken in. The guy who drives it is the Director of New Cars. Total douche bag. When we got there it had all these static cling stickers on it like "VW drivers are 35% more likely to do photography" and such all over the hood, front windows, rear windows. So to take it out on the street, we need to AT LEAST remove the front ones over where the driver was going to see. But our salesman kept taking them off all over, except the hood. So, our sales guy asks us for help. Since he was a nice guy, we helped...but we felt weird. Afterwards, the Director comes over and sees how I am crumbling up the static clings and so is our salesman. He says NO NO NO...you guys are doing this all wrong. So he proceeds to uncrumble them and lay them out nicely to be used again. Our salesman goes to move another car so we can get the GLI out...the Director tells us to help him straighten all these out. I'm like...WTF!!! My buddy goes, hey I'm the customer. And he says, well you look like a nice guy. I tell him, yeah but we didnt come here to do menial labor. He responds saying, well I'm doing it. I thought to myself...yeah that's why you get paid and I dont to work here.

So to rap it up, in the end, after our drive, we noticed there was an airbag light on too. So all these problems didnt make us feel like it was the car to get. The sales manager even dropped the price to 21,500. But honestly, my buddy is talking w/another dealership and they've agreed to get him a BRAND NEW GLI Pkg 1 6MT for 23,500. 2000 dollars difference yes, but no headache. We'd have to have the car fixed for the airbag, the wheels, and interior.

And the fact they wouldnt go down to 21,000 really pissed my buddy off b/c that's where he needed to be in respect to his trade in to get the best deal.

Case in point: some demo cars are not worth it...