GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

O.CT Flash Stage 1 (must read)

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
I knew that chipping the car was a must, but wanted to "wait" to see what was out there. With so many choices, I wanted to be sure.

Research is Everything, Marketing Hype is Nothing
As most astute enthusiasts know, quoted HP increases are nothing, if it drives like crap. However, people LIKE to see big HP gains, but when you actually DRIVE the car, it's TORQUE you feel (that force that puts you back into the seat).

Basically, the flatter the torque curve, the more "back into the seat push" you'll have. If you have a torque curve that peaks, the "seat pushing" sensation is very brief. The factory torque curve is flat, as you can see in this AWE dyno chart.

The maroon colored line represents the base torque. See how flat it is? It starts to taper around 5200 rpm. The GIAC programming yeilds impressive torque gains, but its built as a "spike" (doesn't last long when driving) as the power tapers off.

Just for reference, some other dyno graphs available show consistant readings. This programming also "spikes". This is from Wetterauer (Germany). I don't think they have a US distributor anymore.

Popular software like Revo, shows the same peaky torque spike like all the others (pic from alf's post)

There is a Difference
The O.CT dyno chart also shows the factory base torque curve as flat until around 5200 rpm. However, the modified torque curve is FLAT, just like stock, except a LOT MORE.

So, maintaining a flat torque curve is best for driveability, rather than one that just peaks and dies off.

Dahlback doesn't have a dyno chart, but I found out that it does require removal of the ECU to "bench flash". I'd rather have the less invasive OBD2 port uploading instead, like what Revo, GIAC, and others do.

How easy is it to install?
Fortunately, O.CT has a new programmer called iPro to do the job. However, if you check out the O.CT website (and other Euro websites), software for our cars are an astouding 900+ EUROS (around USD$1400, depending on the exchange rate).

Knowing full well that most flashes are around $500 (and as low as EIP's $199, not sure if they have MKV software), there is no way they a company like O.CT can compete, right? WRONG!

I learned this weekend that Stratmosphere (O.CT's US distributor) is going to make a BIG push to promote the unique features of O.CT software (remember, flat torque curves better that ones that spike). They had the O.CT flash for my MKV priced at $399! I was shocked! I get software that drives JUST like stock (except a lot more power) that is competitively priced with all of the US companies (like Revo).

Driving Impressions
It was friggin' hot at Waterfest. The temperature reading on the car said anywhere from 97° to 102°. Even in this rediculous heat, I was able to spin the front tires from a rolling start. The 50 mile drive home on the highway was no cooler, but the car was noticably faster. It drives JUST like stock, except more noticable power.

I wanted to wait until I had around 1000 miles on the car before a software upgrade. Then again, Stratmosphere chipped their MKV GTI the first day with no issues.

How you can get one
The downside? If you don't live near a O.CT retailer (Stratmopshere has dealers being assigned), you can't drive up and get iPro'd. Yo'u have to pull your ECU and send it to Stratmosphere.

I spoke to the onwers of Strat at length about pricing, promotions, and other items such as a "test drive" program that allows people to try it. These are all ideas they are considering.

If there is enough interest in the NJ/NY/CT area, Stratmophere has a plan in place to setup a dealer there to do the flashings so you can drive in and get it done in about 20 minutes. Let me know the interest level for those in the surrounding area and I can speak to them.

Attachments

• oct1.jpg
    oct1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,108
  • oct2.jpg
    oct2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,134
  • oct3.jpg
    oct3.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,101
  • oct4.jpg
    oct4.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,175

wildstar

Autocross Champion
Definatly interested in hearing more on this. I live in Northern NJ as well. What are they saying the max hp and torque are after the flash? And is it at the crank or at the wheels? Also, is this flash able to be detected at the dealership? Thanks.

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
Stage 1 is 235hp and 258 ft. lbs. on the O.CT website.

When I spoke to Strat, they have a dealer who does Kleenmann who wanted to upgrade their newly aquired GTI as well. They did the full Milltek cat/exhaust with ECU upgrade. They measured 50 hp AND 50 ft lbs. gain AT THE WHEELS! I'm sure that's more than the Stage 1 software at that point.

I don't know if the upgrades (Stage 2, etc) are free if you buy the Stage 1.

If the dealership somehow flashes over the programming (not sure if they can or not), I don't think there is any charge to get reflashed (since your VIN is stored on the O.CT server).

wildstar

Autocross Champion
What's stage 2 bring to the table? I'd be more worried about the dealership voiding the warrenty on the engine due to discovering its flashed than anything.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
How much of a discount did you get for posting all this. I dunno the skeptic in me says that write-up is just a BIT too organized. I dunno maybe you have the technical writing skills, or maybe you just care that much, haha.

Also you can't compare a curve from different dynos or different companies. It's easy to make a curve any shape you want just by changing the spacing or increments on the X or Y axis of a graph. Just a mistake I've made in the past.

RedlineMotorworks

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2007 BMP GTI
MHS216 said:
How much of a discount did you get for posting all this. I dunno the skeptic in me says that write-up is just a BIT too organized. I dunno maybe you have the technical writing skills, or maybe you just care that much, haha.

Also you can't compare a curve from different dynos or different companies. It's easy to make a curve any shape you want just by changing the spacing or increments on the X or Y axis of a graph. Just a mistake I've made in the past.

either that or he's really excited and wants to share the great news with the members on golfmkv.com:thumbsup:

The chip sounds good.

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
MHS216 said:

You can see all of my other writeups in my sig. I'd like to think that they're all relatively "complete".

At $399, there isn't a discount required in my opinion. This is software that is sold for more than 900 Euros and now available at a insane discount, just to compete with the US market. I call that a great deal for us (not just me)

I'm guessing that those that post their own dyno charts on their websites are TRYING to show the best available. Even with this, most have their torque curves spiking quite abruptly when compared to stock.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I don't see a problem with an initial spike of torque as that would seem to help on initial acceleration to get the load moving as long as it doesn't fall off to stock levels and all of them appear to stay well above the stock torque plateau. I really like hearing there's another player to chose from. That "German dyno" representation shouldn't even be shown. Nothing legit looking about that.