GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Euro Springs in US

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
But isn't the drop only like 1/2"? I would like to see more of a drop...not so much I scrape going into places. But, enough to get rid of the huge 4" gap between the fender and wheel.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
HUH?? Has anyone found for sure that the spring differance is 0.5 inches? I am not talking about I heard from a guy type of proof.

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
I have a question for everyone here?

Is it the actual spring by a .5 inch shorter or the actual drop. Because we are talking about two different things here! Cus comparing it to some pics around here it certainly doesnt look like the difference is .5 inch in ride height. To me it seems like there is over 1 inch in height difference. I am so confused on this question.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I fell from looking at many photos of the euro GTI it sits more than the 0.5" diff too. Somebody needs to come up with some real specs. Maybe european ride height from the manual compared to the U.S. height from the manual.

RallyVWDan

Passed Driver's Ed
I for one don't care if the best setup has me looking like I'm driving an Amish Buggy... if its the best set, its the best set and the one I'll go with. If I wanted rice I'd drive a honda (of course with that said the new Si is not crap).

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
Lowering a car (with in reason) isn't rice. Now if you cut the springs so that there is only about a quarter inch shock travel left, then yeah, that's rice. But you have to make sure that you buy wheels with a really crappy offset, someting like +50mm so there is 2" between the outer edge of the wheel and the inner lip of the fender.

But seriously, 0.5" ~ 1" drop...whatever...isn't bad.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Lowering a car a small amount is not rice. The U.S. spec is raised because of bumper laws....not because of handeling.

GTI689

Oval Champion
My dealer offers springs coverd under waranty for $500

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Are they the Euro spec springs? I hate to tell the dealer, but if I buy the Euro spec springs elsewhere they are still covered.

RallyVWDan

Passed Driver's Ed
Like I said, if the set up works then cool, it works. What tends to make me question the sanity of some is that they will slam their car into the weeds for looks alone and still swear up and down that it works better. Thats rice in my book.

PS- Never trust a man who keeps pigs.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I studied the differant spring and shock setups for my civic I used to have. Went through differant things. I went with KYB AGX because I could adjust them for the differant tracks and races. I went with Tein because the stance and spring rate were what I wanted. I did more for suspension on that car over the 4 years I had it than anything I did to the motor. I would get beat in the straights at the track but when it came to those corners...wooooo dogy!! When it comes to the looks of the GTI I hate the wheel gap. But I know that the car handles very nicely.....found that out behinde the shop. I had to slow down because I think my buddy in the car was gonna piss himself. I am looking to autocross this car on the weekends and take it to the strip every once in awhile. I am more of a handleing type of guy.....I want to take those corners with the car right on the edge of control. It's fun. I think that dropping the car a little will help since it was raised for the U.S. market. Dropping it like it's hot is not gonna help one bit...that what you do for car shows. I am looking for a good progresive spring and adjustable shock setup that my wife is not gonna bitch about when she drives it and I am stuck with the Honda Odyssey. That is why for me it will probably be the Euro springs if the drop is more than 0.5 inches.....otherwise I will just wait for the good quality race manufacturers to come out with what I need.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
0.9" Works nicely for me. I think that is where I will go then. I wonder if there is a site out there with these that I can use paypal with. It is easier for me to keep it from the wife that way. She can't spend it if it's in there. LOL

The differance transfers to 15.039 inches for U.S. and 14.17 inches for the Euro. Now I wonder if we have to worry about replacing any parts like control arms and such or is everything else the same. Ayone with a service guide to check part numbers between the two cars?