GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Feedback from any and all gti owners...

JayRoC

Passed Driver's Ed
would like to start out by sayin hey. apparently i just finished watching the first FF movie :laugh:
anyway.. my gf is in the midst of looking for a candy white dsg gti.. since she is not familiar with forums and such i decided to join and see how you guys are liking it.. pros.. cons.. recalls or defects yet?
she currently has a mazda 3 but fell in love with the new gti.. and decided she wants to trade in that slow piece of machinery for something with some pep. she's just worried that cause its a german car.. parts and maintenance will be costly after the warranty is up. i'm not too familiar with vw's myself so i was just wondering if you guys had any experience with that.
i guess i will take a look around and see what i can find so you guys won't have to post whats already been posted.. but any feedback at all would be cool. thanks guys...

-Jay

JayRoC

Passed Driver's Ed
we went to test drive one but all they had were manuals... so she had to experience it from the passenger seat :laugh:
i like how smooth the shift transitions were on the 6 speed.
is the dsg THAT much faster? i understand that it has 2 gearboxes with 2 clutches making for much quicker efficient shifts... she has no choice but to get the auto but if i was her i could never give up the fun of a manual trans, even if the auto was a few tenths quikcker, my left foot would get bored and feel left out :cry: :biggrin:

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Well I own the manual, but essentially, there aren't any real call backs, but you'll hear from some people that every now and then you stumble on a bug. The DSG is a great feature for what it does and the way it works, so I assure you she wont be disappointed. Its a great car, fast as hell, and comfortable. But yes you are correct, that parts and maintainence is a big more extreme on euros'

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
I had automatic in my Prelude, and I neded something more race car feeling, some a tad more fun to drive, not for commuting purposes....its all choice, thats the hard part

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
Jay I bet you dont stand a chance to a GTI with that Eclipse?lol. Why is it that other car drivers say that they dont like the DSG? I think because this car happens to have the best auto tranny and its got to be tough to face the truth.haha.

Anyways I bet you will spend more money on your Eclipse fuel/maintainance/ and retail value when you trade it if you do; than her on her GTI if she gets one.

JayRoC

Passed Driver's Ed
vdubGTi said:
Jay I bet you dont stand a chance to a GTI with that Eclipse?lol. Why is it that other car drivers say that they dont like the DSG? I think because this car happens to have the best auto tranny and its got to be tough to face the truth.haha.

Anyways I bet you will spend more money on your Eclipse fuel/maintainance/ and retail value when you trade it if you do; than her on her GTI if she gets one.

thanks for all the comments... just trying to do some research for her is all. as for the above quote, when did i say that i didn't like the DSG?? i even said and know that its faster than the manual so no need to be all defensive about it, making remarks about the car I DRIVE, why? i am here to find out more about the gti for my gf, which i think is a good choice for her. and NO. the eclipse will take a stock Gti. i knew there would be at least one.. to start comparing my car, not here to do that. i told you up top what i'm here to do. :rolleyes: im not here to talk about maintenance on the eclipse either... i have a 10 year/ 100,000 year powertrain warranty, i don't need to worry about nothin.:tongue:
BUT if YOU must KNOW mr. vdubgti here is a page right out of motortrend of what this eclipse that doesn't have a chance is capable of. if i'm not mistaken the DSG does 0-60 in 6.7 and the manual in 7.1 but 6 seconds flat or so with launch control, which i don't think is available on the US models? i could be wrong.

i'm here to learn more about the Gti.. re-read my first few posts.. i am in no way hating on this car or the DSG. so there is no need to drag MY car into this. but a comparison is what you wanted and thats what you'll get.
the eclipse is underrated from the factory as well as the gti i think.. have yet to see a stock dyno of the gti but the eclipse puts down around 240hp stock.
enjoy... and please don't put words into my mouth thanks.

Last edited:

Whafrodamus

Walnuts, bitch.
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI
I have always been a VW fan, but I've also been a mitsu fan. That's a nice looking Eclipse you have there. I've never had the chance to be in one of the newer ones, but they look well built. I'm picking up my GTI with DSG on friday, and I have to say that when I drove it, I had a really great time. I think the GTI would be a great upgrade from the Mazda 3. GTI's both in the past and the present (not including MK III/IIII :p) offer pep, power, and fun. I've driven a bunch of different cars, but the most fun car I've ever driven was my 85 cabrio (RIP).. and the only car more fun was the GTI. The GTI is a drivers car, and if you're in the car for the drive rather than the destination, the GTI will make sure that that journey is fun, fast, and FAST... (agian) :p

JayRoC

Passed Driver's Ed
Whafrodamus said:
I have always been a VW fan, but I've also been a mitsu fan. That's a nice looking Eclipse you have there. I've never had the chance to be in one of the newer ones, but they look well built. I'm picking up my GTI with DSG on friday, and I have to say that when I drove it, I had a really great time. I think the GTI would be a great upgrade from the Mazda 3. GTI's both in the past and the present (not including MK III/IIII :p) offer pep, power, and fun. I've driven a bunch of different cars, but the most fun car I've ever driven was my 85 cabrio (RIP).. and the only car more fun was the GTI. The GTI is a drivers car, and if you're in the car for the drive rather than the destination, the GTI will make sure that that journey is fun, fast, and FAST... (agian) :p

thank you for that. THAT is the kind of response my gf and i are looking for that is constructive and helpful. i appreciate you taking the time.
as for the eclipse yeah i love my car.. who doesn't love their car and the pride that go's along with it. the only thing i dislike about it is the heft factor.. 3472 lbs! :eek: but its all good cause its capable of pulling its own weight. here is my cardomain if you would like to take a further look, just an AEM CAI and Exhaust for now... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2111025

i think the new gti is an awesome car.. can't wait till she gets it so i can take it out for drives when need be..or just for the hell of it :biggrin:
have yet to sit in or have her test drive a DSG (the one she wants) but i was wondering.. are the paddle shifters standard with the DSG's in the states? or are those only available overseas? if they ARE available here, :w00t:

i love those commercials.. funny as hell, vw has a great marketing team. i especially like the unpimping ones.. with that crazy german guy (who is french in real like i think)
my favorite lines: -What does this do?
-it sucks in air.....
-its definitely SUCKING
hahaha i can't get enough.

Whafrodamus

Walnuts, bitch.
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI
JayRoC said:
thank you for that. THAT is the kind of response my gf and i are looking for that is constructive and helpful. i appreciate you taking the time.
as for the eclipse yeah i love my car.. who doesn't love their car and the pride that go's along with it. the only thing i dislike about it is the heft factor.. 3472 lbs! :eek: but its all good cause its capable of pulling its own weight. here is my cardomain if you would like to take a further look, just an AEM CAI and Exhaust for now... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2111025

i think the new gti is an awesome car.. can't wait till she gets it so i can take it out for drives when need be..or just for the hell of it :biggrin:
have yet to sit in or have her test drive a DSG (the one she wants) but i was wondering.. are the paddle shifters standard with the DSG's in the states? or are those only available overseas? if they ARE available here, :w00t:

i love those commercials.. funny as hell, vw has a great marketing team. i especially like the unpimping ones.. with that crazy german guy (who is french in real like i think)
my favorite lines: -What does this do?
-it sucks in air.....
-its definitely SUCKING
hahaha i can't get enough.

I bet you guys will have fun with that car. Paddle shifters are standard on all DSGs here. Fun stuff, yo. I love ALL the unpimping commercials, and the FAST one where the guy is driving with his girlfriend, and he has all the windows down. The "I can't hear the engine with all that yakkity yak" was classic.

JayRoC

Passed Driver's Ed
NICE. would love to try out those paddle shifters.. i thought they were only a euro thing but now that i def know they are an option over here.. :headbang: now i def want her to get the DSG.
oh and how about this launch control feature.. is that available here too? or was that only used in a tuner tested vehicle?

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
Hey JayRoC...:biggrin:

1st of all welcome to the site, 2nd nice lookin car that u got, BTW can u hold up against say a 2004 mustang GT??..

I would like to point out that the GTI is no feather-weight it self (i think above 3000 lbs). and about the Launch Control, unfortunately I dont think it will be available in the US till the 07 model.

but heres how anyways: put the gear in S mode, then turn off the ESP, hold the brakes and give the car some gas (the revs wont exceed 3000 no matter what), then let go of the brakes gently and control the wheel spin:headbang:

JayRoC

Passed Driver's Ed
GTI 2.0T said:
Hey JayRoC...:biggrin:

1st of all welcome to the site, 2nd nice lookin car that u got, BTW can u hold up against say a 2004 mustang GT??..

I would like to point out that the GTI is no feather-weight it self (i think above 3000 lbs). and about the Launch Control, unfortunately I dont think it will be available in the US till the 07 model.

but heres how anyways: put the gear in S mode, then turn off the ESP, hold the brakes and give the car some gas (the revs wont exceed 3000 no matter what), then let go of the brakes gently and control the wheel spin:headbang:

thanks for the compliments.. a 2004 mustang eh? well then.. i just so happened to have a vid of a 2004 GT mustang vs. a 2006 eclipse (auto). not the greatest quality but you can see whats going on.

http://videos.streetfire.net/player.aspx?fileid=0094D8F3-F377-4A28-A7D1-88BB48EBFA91

and here is a vid from a member on my forums.. it was from a 10mph roll.. just ignore his remarks.. he was angry cause the driver in the mustang was talking all this trash beforehand.

http://media.putfile.com/mike-d-

with the launch control i'm certain a gti can be even or beat a late mustang gt model, depending on the driver i suppose. as far as the new mustang gt's.. both of us have some modding to do. :wink:

and thanks for the heads up on the launch control feature.

Last edited:

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
In that first video, the Mits runs a 14.9? I read that in the comments of the video since I can't see the vid at work. That seems quick for an auto, so what mods did that car have? The best stock run I have seen so far on my car (06 Si) is 14.8, and the guy thankfully posted slips to back that up. Another guy ran a 14.7 with an AEM CAI.

It is good to see some of these cars getting into the 14's with little to no effort.

bigdyno

JayRoC said:
she's just worried that cause its a german car.. parts and maintenance will be costly after the warranty is up-Jay

Warranty is an issue that swayed my vote, it's 1 year and 20,000 km longer than The big"H". Also, the extended warranty is very attractively priced, 7 year 160,000 extension is only about $3500 CAD. If you think that is steep, try pricing out a turbo.......

My Girlfriend and I drove both the manual and the DSG, mine will be stick. My GF drives a Canyon and was VERY impressed with the GTI, the power numbers are about the same for the two vehicles, but a smaller car moves quicker....

I hope everyone who is thinking of the new GTI at least gets a chance to go for a drive, you'll fall in love!