What are you paying for your GTI?

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
earthtoandy said:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/volkswagen/gti/100684933/incentives.html

Scroll down a bit. Factory to dealer incentive of 1000$

Well I paid 250 for a document fee... not bad even though that fee is a bit of a joke. The rest was tax and Arizona fees.

Wow. I swear I looked there this past weekend and saw only the 3.9 and 4.9% showing up. How I missed that, I don't know, but that surely helps my negotiations :)

Thanks for the heads up!

GTT

Touring Car Champion
chopstik said:
i checked edmunds and kbb....when i priced out the car, it came out to 24,535 invoice minus taxes, etc.....the dealer invoice showed me 24,919....should i bring this up with him?? and if so what should i ask?
thanks

-roger

Roger,

Edmunds invoice lists a 6spd. manual, Pkg #2, mats at $23,902.
If you were to go with DSG the invoice is $24,975. That is the configuration I'm looking at.
I'm not sure where you got the $24,535 price. And, the dealers invoice at $24,919
is quite high even if he added in advertising/marketing costs.
24,919 - 23,902 = $1017, that is quite substantial and not the correct invoice for a 6spd. manual.
If we use your $24,535 price, then the invoice difference is $384, which could easily be an advertising/marketing fee.
Did you ask to see a copy of the invoice?

T

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
Hokietuner said:
OTD for 23000

6 speed
Package 1
Black Magic

Tax 704.16
Tags 55.--
Profit and other fee 500
You do the math for the invoice of the car, plus the 1252 for option 1

Damn the Commonwealth of Virginia and their 4% sales tax.

I gotta pay 8 freakin percent out here. :thumbdown:

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
Jerome81 said:
Damn the Commonwealth of Virginia and their 4% sales tax.

I gotta pay 8 freakin percent out here. :thumbdown:

And I'm not sure how that works out. If your tax is 4%, and you paid $704.16 in tax, divide by 0.04 and you get $17,604 taxable amount.

Something doesn't line up, unless I'm not doing the math right. Or they sold you a car for $17,604 and jacked up some sort of fees you didn't pay taxes on.....

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
Gotcha.

Wow. Wish I had that. Its 8% on everything out here.

And the real driller is that if you bring a car to CA that purchased out of state within the first 365 days after you purchased it, you pay the difference in the tax to California.

Bastards.

chopstik

Ready to race!
GTT said:
Roger,

Edmunds invoice lists a 6spd. manual, Pkg #2, mats at $23,902.
If you were to go with DSG the invoice is $24,975. That is the configuration I'm looking at.
I'm not sure where you got the $24,535 price. And, the dealers invoice at $24,919
is quite high even if he added in advertising/marketing costs.
24,919 - 23,902 = $1017, that is quite substantial and not the correct invoice for a 6spd. manual.
If we use your $24,535 price, then the invoice difference is $384, which could easily be an advertising/marketing fee.
Did you ask to see a copy of the invoice?

T

hey T,

well, when i priced it out, it came out to 24,535....i guess b/c i had the 18" wheels too......he showed me the invoice and it was 24,919$.....and he is giving it to me for 300$ over invoice.......it's not a huge deal, but if the invoice price is something different than what he is showing me, then that's a different issue.....by the way, what is factory to dealer incentive and how can i use that to my advantage???? thanks again

-roger

Hokietuner

Rally Car Newbie
Jerome81 said:
And I'm not sure how that works out. If your tax is 4%, and you paid $704.16 in tax, divide by 0.04 and you get $17,604 taxable amount.

Something doesn't line up, unless I'm not doing the math right. Or they sold you a car for $17,604 and jacked up some sort of fees you didn't pay taxes on.....

No you didn't do math right, take 21000, and multiply it by .03, you get 630 taxable, so yeah pretty much there

Jerome81

Autocross Newbie
Factory to Dealer incentive is essentially a "dealer rebate" that they can choose to use or not use, in any amount, to help close a deal.

If,say, they're willing to sell you a GTI for 500 over invoice, but you want it at invoice, the dealership can then use 500 of the 1000 marketing incentive to get you the price you want without having to squeeze profit out of the dealer. Whether or not they get to keep the other $500, I'm not sure.

If you know what the dealer incentive is, you can treat it like customer cash rebates. If you feel it is a fair deal to buy the car at invoice + 500, offer them 1000 less than invoice + 500.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
chopstik said:
hey T,

well, when i priced it out, it came out to 24,535....i guess b/c i had the 18" wheels too......he showed me the invoice and it was 24,919$.....and he is giving it to me for 300$ over invoice.......it's not a huge deal, but if the invoice price is something different than what he is showing me, then that's a different issue.....by the way, what is factory to dealer incentive and how can i use that to my advantage???? thanks again

-roger

Per Edmunds;
Pkg. #2, 18" wheels, and mats
Invoice is $24,565 in the Chicago region.
If the invoice you say is correct, then there is about a $354 invoice difference.
That could be an "advertising/marketing" fee. Look closely at the invoice and even ask him why there is a difference.
If you pay $300 over invoice plus the $354, the that's $654 over Edmunds listed invoice.

I don't know about your market, but in the Chicago area I've been offered $500 under invoice.

If that dealer incentive money is out there then you can ask for it. That is money given to the dealers to help them move the cars if they are not moving. So, if a dealer isn't having a problem moving their cars then they can keep the added profit of the incentive. Thus, the incentive is taken by the dealer as profit above the normal profit.
However, the dealer can use all of the incentive to lower the price of a car to entice a sale.
If VW is giving this incentive then it means the cars aren't moving as fast as they would like.
So, take that to mean that the dealers want the sale and you should offer an amount minus the incentive. If that dealer were to sell you a GTI at invoice he would still be making a profit of the total incentive plus his regular profit at invoice.

T

Whafrodamus

Walnuts, bitch.
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI
$23180 for a package 1. DSG GTI MKV in reflex silver. Should be here friday :).

sarpe

Ready to race!
I paid 30000€...... list price was 35000....
In italy, taxes are at 20%........ :(