GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why do our MKV GTIs sound like Diesels at idle?

Accel

Rally Car Champion
nomios said:
Not a big deal, the diesel like engine sound disappears when you give it gas, but it is alittle embarrassingwhen you start it up.

How is that embarasing? I loved peoples reactions when ever I start up my real TDI, no one believed me that it was diesel.

Newcastle

Drag Racing Champion
It caught me out too. Having owned mainly Hondas in the past - I was used to their nearly silent operation. It was weird hearing what sounded like a giant sewing machine under the hood. If my honda sounded like that I would shut it down immediately heheh.

nomios

Touring Car Champion
Accel said:
How is that embarasing? I loved peoples reactions when ever I start up my real TDI, no one believed me that it was diesel.

Why? Because I did not buy a TDI!

I was hoping for a nice rumble not a click click click...

Dude123

Oval Champion
Does anyone get a clicking sound when they start they GTI/GLI and eventually it goes away? Hope that's normal.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
nomios said:
Why? Because I did not buy a TDI!

I was hoping for a nice rumble not a click click click...

Rumble comes from a V6 (a la R32, that's got a pleasant burble to it). Our flat-4 clicking comes from the injectors that are used. I don't really mind to be honest, because the sound is terrific once you're away and in the cabin you can't really tell, but I opened the bonnet once (the "hood" as our compatriots choose to call it) and it was really clickyclickyclicky.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Doesn't bother me as long as it is supposed to be there and isn't super loud.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
cmdrfire said:
Rumble comes from a V6 (a la R32, that's got a pleasant burble to it). Our flat-4 clicking comes from the injectors that are used. I don't really mind to be honest, because the sound is terrific once you're away and in the cabin you can't really tell, but I opened the bonnet once (the "hood" as our compatriots choose to call it) and it was really clickyclickyclicky.

Just a polite correction. The GTI does not have a "flat 4". It is an inline 4.
An example of a flat 4 would be the Subaru WRX/STi or Porsche's flat engines.
BTW, I like the sound of flat engines, very different and cool.

T

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
GTT said:
Just a polite correction. The GTI does not have a "flat 4". It is an inline 4.
An example of a flat 4 would be the Subaru WRX/STi or Porsche's flat engines.
BTW, I like the sound of flat engines, very different and cool.

T

Oops, sorry :redface: thanks for the correction...

Don't Subarus have Boxer engines though?