GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The new GTI DOES support ID3 Tags....proof inside.

Jedi VW

Ready to race!
OK, so I burnt an MP3 cd the other day and was very happy to discover that my GTI's headunit displays ID3 tag information: Artist and Song Title.

I had always heard the opposite.

I used the program Tag&Rename on all my albums and it works flawlessly. So, I hope this means that when I get my Ipod hooked up, it will also display album information!!!

destroyboredom

Autocross Newbie
That's awesome! I wonder why other people were saying it didn't?? Maybe just not as computer literate as some.

What vers. of tags are you using? My collection is V2.3 (via itunes)

I didn't know this was a problem. I've had no problems since day one. All I listen to is MP3 CDs and I loved the ID3 Tag, but some software only does some songs with a new track title, and some with ID3 Tag (Roxio 8).

dodweld

Ready to race!
MP3 on CD R - What settings / file types ?

When burning MP3's to a CD what file sturcture / File type / other settings do you use ?

Brandon

Oval Newbie
This is great news! Lol..I'm just happy my GTI will come with MP3 capability.

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
I just drag the labeled folders with mp3's directly from my iTunes music folder to the CD then burn--you don't even have to used iTunes for this part (though iTunes does seem to do a good job encoding wih the id tags). if you have subfolders you don't have to do a thing, the cd player sees all the folders individually. The only downside is that if you have a lot of folders/tracks, it can take a while to read the disk.

I was able to fit 8--9 albums per cd (I encode at 256, not 128) which equals around 50 regular cd's--who needs an iPod? Now if I was to encode at 128, I could probably squeeze close to 100 albums into 6 disks. Keeping track of all that might be a problem . . . .

with all the great featrures of this car, my favorite so far is the cd player (after the motor/handling/brakes/seats, of course) . . .

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
Can i point out that the above unit is the USA market only unit and is not the same as the ones we get in Europe and other countries please remember this as i have yet to see a RCD300 or RCD500 been able to play MP3s but i remember reading that ones in the pipeline.

avante

Passed Driver's Ed
snoopy said:
Can i point out that the above unit is the USA market only unit and is not the same as the ones we get in Europe and other countries please remember this as i have yet to see a RCD300 or RCD500 been able to play MP3s but i remember reading that ones in the pipeline.

The only possibility (at the moment) for playing mp3 in europe is the RNS 300 navi-system. But you are right, there is a RCD 500 which is able to play mp3 - unfortunately its only available for the Passat. Maybe in a few weeks its also availaible for the Golf (i hope so!):iono:

car

Autocross Champion
DTMDoc said:
can it play aac encoded songs (.m4a or .m4p) from itunes?

thanks in advance.

I haven't tried it, but I seriously doubt it. AAC is still relatively new and also an apple-exclusive format. Mp3 has been around for quite awhile now and is much more widespread. I've not seen any cd-players that will read AAC.