GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

19 inch rims slow you down?

GTI689

Oval Champion
I have 19 inch axis rims on my black magic GTI and was wondering how much they slow you down? Also if i got a chip would 19s cause less wheel spin?

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
it all comes down to weight and type of rubber... The size of the rim does affect it too but... I don;t see how more power could create less wheel spin the other way around is true, more power = more wheel spin... Wheel size has nothing to do with the chip...

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
My 19s don't slow my car down, because they are significantly lighter than the 18" Detroits/Monzas/Hufs. It depends, as Vivid says, on weight and rubber.
Rolling circumference should work out almost the same anyway, no?

And the chip would most likely cause more wheelspin (mine did), but wheel size won't affect this. If you apply power correctly anyway, there'll be only a little wheelspin; wheelspin (or bouncing) shows that you're putting down too much power, too quick.

Nimble

Oval Champion
Generally speaking, yes, they will slow you down, especially as compared to a wheel 2" smaller that weighs less. Even if a 19 weighs what a 17 does, it still places the mass farther out from the wheel hub. But yeah, a set of 22lb 19's vs the stock boat anchor 29lb 18's, would be a performance benefit in that scenario.

trevor

Southeast Forum Dictator
Car(s)
Subaru WRX STI
cmdrfire said:
And the chip would most likely cause more wheelspin (mine did), but wheel size won't affect this. If you apply power correctly anyway, there'll be only a little wheelspin; wheelspin (or bouncing) shows that you're putting down too much power, too quick.

The wheelspin will is mostly caused by the inability of the tire to flex. When you have a big rim, you usually have a smaller sidewall thus disabling the tire to flex and get traction.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Ah, thanks trevor. Does weight (either an increase of or decrease of) affect ability to gain traction as well?

Nimble

Oval Champion
cmdrfire said:
Ah, thanks trevor. Does weight (either an increase of or decrease of) affect ability to gain traction as well?

Weight also largely affects how the suspension reacts to bumps in the road. Just imagine the shocks/springs having to react to a wheel thats 10lbs heavier than another, it will take the shock much longer to settle than would the lighter wheel. Hence, why my suspension will wear less with my 18lb wheels than all those with the stock 29lb 18's. :biggrin: Not even mentioning that the lighter, smaller wheels will accelerate much faster and brake better, as well as cause an increase in gas mileage. Cheaper tires, wheels cost less, etc....is there ANY benefit to excessively large wheels?