GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2007 Spec US GTI - 22mm Ride Height Reduction Confirmed?!?!

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
I've just read at VWVortex that VW posted 2007 Change Points which list a 22mm ride height reduction for the GTI!

Does this mean we get euro springs!!?!? :biggrin:

Please confirm. I need to cancel my euro spring order before it gets shipped!!!!

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
that would be great if thats the case... the car will come at the right hight...

Sucks for those of us that already have it but great for you guys...

hope its true

Dubdr

Rally Car Champion
The reason we don't have to euro springs is due to our crash regulations. I just checked my corp website and according to VWoA there are no changes from 2006 to 2007. I will keep looking to see if it will be an option.

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
Dubdr said:
The reason we don't have to euro springs is due to our crash regulations. I just checked my corp website and according to VWoA there are no changes from 2006 to 2007. I will keep looking to see if it will be an option.

It's been confirmed. US ride height standards have been lowered so the Mk V is going lower.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
doubtful unless regulations have changed for Department of public safety.

Auf Wiedersehen! said:
It's been confirmed. US ride height standards have been lowered so the Mk V is going lower.

EDIT: well there we go, now i gotta get rid of these pro-kit springs and go lower.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
The GTI wasn't raised because of US "ride height" regulations. They did it to improve crash safety in the land of the SUV. Think about it - the Corvette would have to be jacked up a good 3 inches to comply if such a standard existed.

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Teknophreak said:
The GTI wasn't raised because of US "ride height" regulations. They did it to improve crash safety in the land of the SUV. Think about it - the Corvette would have to be jacked up a good 3 inches to comply if such a standard existed.

Well.....if you want the real, inside, down low, reason for the ride height here in the US look no further than this:

Lame ass drivers here jamming their front splitter/valance into any and every parking lot concrete lip/curb edge in sight. VWoA warranties a shite load every year on Mk4s.

They pay lip service to crash ratings, SUVs yada yada yada. In the end, like all things it comes down to the almight $$$.

Increase the ride height, lower "warranty" claims for damage= more $$ saved.

Anyone really think they could just lower them for '07 without retesting if it was for an more substantial reason than this?? I think not.

CASHmoney

Drag Racing Champion
azmcs said:
Well.....if you want the real, inside, down low, reason for the ride height here in the US look no further than this:

Lame ass drivers here jamming their front splitter/valance into any and every parking lot concrete lip/curb edge in sight.

You walk by a row of cars parked in front of a curb or sidewalk and 100% of them have the front wheels touching the curb with the front bumper just barely scrapping buy. People are stupid and need to hit something to tell them to stop. My car is lowered with a kit and when I see people park like this I always think to myself that if I ever let someone else drive my car for a day they would destroy the front.

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
gatorfast said:
if this is true I wonder how much the new springs will cost for those of us with 06 models

That's exactly my thought. I'm sure sourcing those springs will be cheaper than buying imported Euro springs...

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
They did it because of our crappy roads. So they would get the warranty life out of the suspension and related comps. There are many cars in the us that are lower. Ride height standards had nothing to do with it. You ever sat in a RX8, or a vette, or a Miata, or a ????????????. If you want to lower yor car buy the springs. They arent going to change in 2007 on US spec cars.

pissout

Go Kart Newbie
2007 GTI

iPod adapter (inside armrest)

Audio Auxiliary input (AUX), replaces glove box light - 3.5mm

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

Launch control will be standard w/ 6-speed automatic transmission

22mm ride height reduction

Replace leather armrest w/ leatherette

Replace third stick cruise control solution to two stick solution

Replace Active Headrest (AKS) w/ Rear-impact optimized head restraints. AKS will be kept w/ top sport seats.

Delete soft touch from doors and dash

Radio change (buttons from black to silver finish)

Delete chrome finish from interior valet locks (trunk and rear seat). Glove box lock will be kept chrome.

Delete cooling vent from the armrest

Delete Xenon headlight washers

anything else???