GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bluetooth phones!

So when I went to the dealership the guy told me the phone button is used for like if you a Motorola RAZR, which he meant if you have BLUETOOTH, you can talk on the phone wirelessly through the stereo. But then he mentioned that it was deactivated in the US. Is this true? and also if it does work, has anyone used it?

NEVERMIND. I FOUND THE INFO.

The Phone Button on the GTI/GLI steering wheel currently does nothing. In the future VW plans to integrate an OEM hands free phone system for the American market. Dealerships can currently integrate a Motorola bluetooth system but the cost is extremely high.

AJChenMPH

Lt. Commander, USPHS
Back on topic :tongue: : it might well be worth it to spend the money on the Bluetooth system, if the dealers are offering it -- you can switch phones with no problem now, as long as they have Bluetooth, and many states are outlawing driving and talking on the phone at the same time without a handsfree device. I'm planning on having it installed as soon as it's available.

The only thing that sucks too is that Verizon Wireless cripples their bluetooth to the max. Headset only! Some of the phones are compatible with other bluetooth handsfree stuff, but some. It's not compatible with some car models of BMW and Acura.

Also, for those of you asking, the info is from the members list. I took the number of people that have posted at least 1 post, and divided it by the number of people registered on the Forum. Comes to 17.34906315% as of right now.

AJChenMPH

Lt. Commander, USPHS
TeknoGroover said:
The only thing that sucks too is that Verizon Wireless cripples their bluetooth to the max. Headset only! Some of the phones are compatible with other bluetooth handsfree stuff, but some. It's not compatible with some car models of BMW and Acura.
Man, that sucks -- I was thinking of switching to VZW when my Sprint PCS contract runs out in August. I might be re-thinking that...

CalBoyTex

Banned
Car(s)
2006 GTI
I really hope VW does bring the factory bluetooth kit to the u.s, i know ill have to pay a price, but i think its worth it.

I wish someone would buy a Motorola Handsfree Bluetooth Car Kit and cut off the wires to the controller and somehow connect those wires to the steering wheel controls. Could be possible. It's close to the same Button Setup.

jetbluemig

Passed Driver's Ed
If the system on my mom's A6 is any indication, a VW Bluetooth kit would definitely be worth the cost. Get in the car, toss the phone in the seat, console, wherever, and forget about it. Connectivity with Verizon has not been a problem, but since Verizon does not use simm cards, you have to manually enter names and numbers into the car's address book.

jetbluemig said:
If the system on my mom's A6 is any indication, a VW Bluetooth kit would definitely be worth the cost. Get in the car, toss the phone in the seat, console, wherever, and forget about it. Connectivity with Verizon has not been a problem, but since Verizon does not use simm cards, you have to manually enter names and numbers into the car's address book.
Actually, I don't think having a SIM card has anything to do with it. It's the crippling of the Bluetooth. Some cars need OBEX to actually use the phonebook and such for the phone. Verizon has disabled OBEX. A couple phones have the phonebook feature activated, such as the v710 now.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Why not just get the blue tooth kit from over seas and have it put on or better yet DIY it?