GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Order a GTI or wait for the new CIVIC TYPE R (Pictures)

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
Strange...the Navi was projected at launch as far as I knew.

Well, no matter, it is available.

...and to get on topic again, they just revealed the official Type-R Concept at the Geneva show, which is the yellow one that has been floating around for a little bit.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Slowride said:
I disagree here...

I have been researching these cars very thoroughly, and the 06 Si has outperformed the GTI in some places and the GTI has outperformed the 06 Si in some places. Also, subtract DSG and the GTI loses 0.4-0.5 in the 0-60, right?

What car doesn't have the Nav option? The Si I sat in last week had Nav.

Basically, they are pretty closely matched cars in terms of performance numbers.
It's a drivers race. The manual will not slow down the GTI that much.
That fastest 0-60 I've read was a DSG will launch control and it came in at 6.0, that's pretty quick. The slowest I've seen came from a manual in the low 7's (early car, can't explain it).
The average has been 6.2-6.7 and oddly some clutch manuals have been as fast as DSG.
Go figure.

But, these are turbo cars that are very perceptive to atmospheric conditions. On a cooler day there is a bit more power. A warmer muggy day and it's a bit slower. That goes for any car but when you're force feeding the cylinders atmospheric conditions become amplified.

It's a drivers race. I'd give the edge to the GTI mainly due to it's low rpm torque which makes for easier hard accel for questionable skill. The Si needs revs and the less experienced will show a lack of skill with such low torque and an engine that needs high revs.

That NAV is a pricey option in any car. It seems much much more out of place in a US spec Si that looks rather plain inside. I still think the RSX-S has a nicer interior.
The Euro Si seems nicer. If I were going stock for stock however, the GTI is all over the Si.

TT

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
BLACKMAGICGTI'06 said:
the rsx has no option for nav i was in the ordering process and when they told me the civic can get nav and the rsx can't i bugged. The high revs also costs gas don't forget that

The gas part is a pretty big category in my mind. It looks like the Si and GTI are very close in that category, within a mile or two, and the Si actually wins that category as tested.

This is assuming that the Si was driven just as hard as the GTI, high revs and all.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
BLACKMAGICGTI'06 said:
the rsx has no option for nav i was in the ordering process and when they told me the civic can get nav and the rsx can't i bugged. The high revs also costs gas don't forget that

All performance costs fuel. The new Si rates 23/32 and the RSX 23/32, which is pretty amazing given the performance. They are both faster than my 325i with manual.
Granted, my 325i is quite a bit heavier. Still, their performance to gas use is pretty good.
The GTI, as with many turbo's, can buck the trend a bit as they can give great performance while having seemingly great MPG. The GTI is a good 400lbs heavier than the Si and RSX and it's rated at about the same at 23/32. However, dip into the boost a bit too much and those numbers drop pretty big as with many turbo's. The nice thing about turbo's is that you can have small displacment economy when you're not asking for the power, but you can have the power when you ask for it.
So, boost costs MPG as big throttle high rpm can.
The problem with a lot of turbo engines is that they run too rich at big throttle high power moments, and that does cost in fuel.

I except the new RSX will be quite nice and be a closer match to the high quality interior of the GTI. The Si is an awesome low cost performer, but you can see where the money wasn't spent.
But, you get a sweet LSD for that lower cost. That's an item that VW should have put on their performance FWD car.

TT

GTT

Touring Car Champion
BLACKMAGICGTI'06 said:
but to create the same power you rev to a much higher rpm i can't see this test being correct or well i don't see it comparing apples to apples. am i wrong???

I don't know where you're going with that.
Can you please explain better what your thinking is on the gas use issue?

TT

Ant1974

Ready to race!
To sum it up you would have to say that the GTi and the Type R (SI) are two of the finest Hatchbacks in the land.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
BLACKMAGICGTI'06 said:
Well higher rpm = more fuel consumption therefore the civic should in essence use more fuel than the gti not less as the test says i think that the test was driven in two different driving styles and the fuel econ cannot be properly compared between these two cars.

It's not that easy or simple. Honda engines are tuned for higher revs and to get good MPG.
Low rpm engines like in the GTO or Mustang GT use MUCH more gas than higher revving smaller displacement engines. Turbo's can get great MPG, but put your foot into the throttle too many times and you'll question if you've got a hole in the gas tank. :laugh:

TT

Dr. Woo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
Wow, that interior is insane. I really don't know what to think of it...though I do know I prefer the tastefully understated and functional interiors of VW/Audi cars.