GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why is it that...

Ballinfrogs

Go Kart Champion
VW doesn't put the best parts into the cars...and any other manufacturer for that matter. I am not talking bout putting in a larger engine, but rather things like intakes or exhausts. Why does the aftermarket have to make the car better when the manufacturer can? I am not talking bout things like tuning either...mostly bolt on mods that VW can do simply. Just a thought on why the car companies do this...can anyone inform me? I know someone knows...

Whafrodamus

Walnuts, bitch.
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI
Not everyone wants to drive a noisy performance car. The reason cars are the way they are is because manufacturers try to find a balance between cost, practicality, comfort, and performance/drivability. The GTI doesn't come with a full intake, 3" TBE, and more aggressive software because those things are loud, and are performance modifications. Not everyone wants to own a loud street machine. The stock airbox is restrictive to keep the noise down, same reason why we have a bunch of mufflers.

Ballinfrogs

Go Kart Champion
oooohhhhhh.....get it..thx

mach5

you are next
Yup, they have to balance all those things together.

But, even if they came with "bolt ons" already on them, there will always be an aftermarket company to offer more performance.

ryedog

owner
Car(s)
1981 VW Golf GTI
It would also bring the car to a different class, performance and such would def raise the price. Dubs are supposed to be affordable german engineered cars.

Technic

Ultimate Driver's Wanted
VW doesn't put the best parts into the cars...and any other manufacturer for that matter. I am not talking bout putting in a larger engine, but rather things like intakes or exhausts. Why does the aftermarket have to make the car better when the manufacturer can? I am not talking bout things like tuning either...mostly bolt on mods that VW can do simply. Just a thought on why the car companies do this...can anyone inform me? I know someone knows...

"Better" is an assumption, not a fact.

If you are a manufacturer that sells, for example, 100,000 GTI's in a year and it cost you $10 each to make/install/design a particular intake. This particular intake gives the car a particular power/noise curve. Then a supplier shows you another intake that will cost you $11 each net (delivered and installed in your factory) that will give you an extra 5 HP with a different power/noise curve.

That's $100,000 that you need to invest for something that not necessarily will be appreciated by the vast majority of the 100,000 customers. So what you do?

- You let the aftermarket deal with that demand -if any

- You create you own aftermarket subdivision and sell that sucker for $500.

We are not even going to go into EPA regulations, safety and other regulated/mandated characteristics of a car and what changes in design and OEM equipment can do to facilitate or block meeting those regulations in the scheduled time and cost.

Hey, I don't like either of the 17" or 18" OEM wheels that are available for the GTI but that does not mean that VW have to offer a 19" option just because I like 19" wheels. The vast majority of GTI's in the street, sold, are running 17" or 18"s so, what's for VW business-wise? :confused: