GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Since my dealership obviously doesn't know what's wrong with my car...

labelskate

Deutschland MKV
Car(s)
mkv gti
First off, my car is a 5 weeks old, I have 1400 miles on it.

3 weeks ago- get off of work and get into my car put it into reverse and start turning to get out of the parking spot and realize the power steering went out... and then I realized the car turned off. I thought I stalled, no biggie, but then I noticed that the check engine was on and I knew there was a problem at this point. I turned the car back on and it proceeded to have the engine cut out about 15 seconds after turning it on. It did this about 4 times in a row and then it didn't do it anymore so I drove home really scarred that it would die in traffic, luckily it didn't.

The next day I brought it into the dealership (chapman VW of scottsdale), and they checked it out. I left it there for 3 days until they called me and said it was a bad fuel pressure sensor and they had fixed it and it drove fine (for the 6 miles they drove it) and the check engine light went off. I go to pick it up, and I turn on the car and the check engine light was STILL on. I told the techs and they put it back on the diagnostic tool and said they needed to keep it overnight since it was too late for them to work on it. 2 days later they call and say the car is perfect now and the problem was the high pressure fuel pump was bad and they replaced that. I drove it home and the check engine light was off and it seemed fixed.

5/14/07- The please refuel light comes on and it says I have 30 miles left till I'm empty. I head over to the gas station before school and my engine cuts out again. Same exact problem that the fuel pump supposidly fixed. The check engine light was back on and I barely made it to the gas station which was 1 block from my house. I had to restart the car multiple times just to make it this distance, driving with my hazard lights on and feeling like an idiot.

I call the dealership and automatically they ask how much fuel was in the tank and I said it was on empty but the light JUST came on and I should have been able to drive it .25 miles to go refuel when I have 30 left supposidly, they automatically conclude that that was the problem and air got into the fuel lines and thus causing the problem. Ok so I put gas in the car and restarted it 4 times and the check engine light goes off just like they said it would.

5/15/07- I just drive my car to school and back and my gf drives me around the rest of the day. I assume the dealership knew what they were talking about (I don't know why anymore) and I thought my car was fine. Afterall it was fixed once already maybe german cars are just that sensitive?

5/16/07- I drive to school and to my girlfriends house afterschool. I try to pull out of her driveway and BAM the problem is back. The same exact fucking problem. Engine cuts out about 6 times in a row, I let it cool off and it is able to drive home without cutting out.

5/17/07- The dealership is swamped and won't be able to get my car in until friday. I don't even bother dropping it off because it will do no good sitting there and my parents work today and I wouldn't be able to get a loaner car (not old enough).

5/18/07- I'm going to go with my dad and tell them exactly what happened and how they didn't fix anything. And also demand a loaner since the car will have been at the dealer for like 25% of it's total life at this point.

I really can't believe this happened. This is really making me hate my purchase. Has anyone else had this problem? I would like info on how I should go about talking to the dealer tomorrow. What do you think the problem could be if the fuel sensor and fuel pump are both brand new? BTW- I live in AZ and it's hot now. 103*. Not sure if that could affect anything just thought I would state that.

Zuhaib

Passed Driver's Ed
Maybe, BTW how much Gas did you fill at the gas station? And after filling up, how many miles have you driven before the 2nd time it shut off?
This sounds like fuel pump issue. And yeah, this car should fall in to Lemon law (i think, check AZ law).
I had an issue close to this in a 03 V6 Passat, where my car would shut off for no reason, and sometimes it would run perfect. Turned out to be a fuel relay was shorting out when i would hit a bump or it just move. But with that issue no CEL, the engine would just slowly come down to 0 Revs, like your out of fuel but the radio would work and everything. No check engine light or anything.

Lazyday

Ready to race!
Most states you have to take the car in 3-5 times for the same problem for it to be lemon...Make sure you got a book from your dealer. Also MAKE SURE you get them to document the times you've been in there for this problem. Just ask the service manager for a sheet of paper saying what the car was in there for and telling how long, and what they tried. They will look at you funny and start saying "UMMM UMMM" alot. But yeah if it keeps up then its going to be a contender for lemon.

(mkV)Jetta2.0t

Carl Brutananadilewski
Car(s)
Volkswagen Jetta
I had a bad in-tank fuel pump (the low pressure one) and I had the symptoms that you are having for about a day, and then it just refused to start anymore after that. Had it towed to the dealer, they replaced the pump, and all has been fine after that.

I'm not saying that's what your problem is, but it sounds awfully similar.

Ronaldsolomon

Just havin fun
Sounds like problem I had it was not the high pressure fuel pump but the valve that is located down stream from pump. the valve was sticking open and fuel pressure was nothigh enough. The computer diagnostic will show the fuel pump is bad. try telling dealership this one

good luck

labelskate

Deutschland MKV
Car(s)
mkv gti
Maybe, BTW how much Gas did you fill at the gas station? And after filling up, how many miles have you driven before the 2nd time it shut off?
This sounds like fuel pump issue. And yeah, this car should fall in to Lemon law (i think, check AZ law).
I had an issue close to this in a 03 V6 Passat, where my car would shut off for no reason, and sometimes it would run perfect. Turned out to be a fuel relay was shorting out when i would hit a bump or it just move. But with that issue no CEL, the engine would just slowly come down to 0 Revs, like your out of fuel but the radio would work and everything. No check engine light or anything.

I had about a gallon and a half left in the tank when I filled it (the please refuel logo came on literally 20 seconds before it first stalled out. I filled the tank fully. I restarted the car 4 times to turn off the engine light and then the next day it did the same exact thing.

labelskate

Deutschland MKV
Car(s)
mkv gti
Most states you have to take the car in 3-5 times for the same problem for it to be lemon...Make sure you got a book from your dealer. Also MAKE SURE you get them to document the times you've been in there for this problem. Just ask the service manager for a sheet of paper saying what the car was in there for and telling how long, and what they tried. They will look at you funny and start saying "UMMM UMMM" alot. But yeah if it keeps up then its going to be a contender for lemon.

will do. I hope it's not a lemon. :cry:

labelskate

Deutschland MKV
Car(s)
mkv gti
I had a bad in-tank fuel pump (the low pressure one) and I had the symptoms that you are having for about a day, and then it just refused to start anymore after that. Had it towed to the dealer, they replaced the pump, and all has been fine after that.

I'm not saying that's what your problem is, but it sounds awfully similar.

hopefully this is what it is. thanks

labelskate

Deutschland MKV
Car(s)
mkv gti
Sounds like problem I had it was not the high pressure fuel pump but the valve that is located down stream from pump. the valve was sticking open and fuel pressure was nothigh enough. The computer diagnostic will show the fuel pump is bad. try telling dealership this one

good luck

I will tell them this too. Thanks.

Angry_Mike

Passed Driver's Ed
Take your car to camelback and have Adam Hernandez work on it, he is a personal friend and a great tech :thumbsup:

Lazyday

Ready to race!
Ah lemons are nothing to be upset about, its pain in the ass to go through all the steps, but in the end you will have a new car or pocket-full of money that you bought the car with. Hopefully they will be able to fix what you got, but you are the buyer and there is always the light at the end of a tunnel.

labelskate

Deutschland MKV
Car(s)
mkv gti
If it is lemon lawed... I think I want DSG lol. Wish me luck it's going in today. I printed out a paper with all of the possible problems listed in this thread. Thanks for all the help fellas.

conom06d

Flying circles around VWs
Car(s)
3 wheels and wings
Damn i hope this all gets resolved for you.