GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI vs. A4 2.0T

Manricky

Banned
Not anymore. The B6 Passat is the same setup as the GLI :thumbdown:

yup it's funny how everyone here at the begging of the post thought it is the same thing, actually i use too think the same thing until my friend got it....there nice cars i dont like the body too much because the backlights looks like the 4 door civic but it;s all good...mad respect for them because they keep up with us and yeah the clutch is different but i think the gti has the better clutch but they put out more torque:drinking:

Manricky

Banned
IMHO, I've driven both a million times.. the a4 has a way better gearbox/clutch

what does imho mean???? well my friend with th a4 knows a lot about cars and his b/f has the most successful VW,Audi,Porche and Lambo tuning shop in the whole south florida and they say that the Gti clutch is better for racing....

Lewie94Passat

Audi guy in the MKV F0RUM
Car(s)
2006 Audi A3
you all are very wrong...yes it is a 2.0 but it's a longitudinal engine and the way the engine works is completely different....it has two intercoolers one in each side when that car hits 4th gear it starts pulling and pases the gti....there is so much different little things in the engine it's not even funny even the way the boost travels is completely different and the gears are longer.....my friend has one with stage two and he beats gti's yes it's heavier but it runs hard because longitudinal engines have less stress on them and run more efficiently...

How old are you seriously? Did you not even read my post. I stated previously that it was the longitudinal version of the 2.0T. Most of your post doesn't even make sense. From the sound of it your saying that at like 4000rpm's in an A4 something like VTECLOLZROKZOR kicks in and it walks a gti. The .2 compression ratio difference isn't going to make a difference at all. And by the way, almost all piston engines work the same if you didn't know.

And yes since it's a longitudinal engine the boost and the intake fucking obviously has to be routed differently. Then again i said the basic engine(they both use the 2.0T) is the same not the boost or intake routing. You seriously must be like 16 years old.

And different gear ratio's. Well lets see, the GTI is FWD and transverse, where as the A4's are AWD with longitudinal, so two completely different drivetrains. Thank you captain obvious.

You need to do a little more research next time buddy before you start saying everybody is wrong, then you say exactly what they did.

The differences in the longblock:

The A4 2.0T
Bore: 3.25 in; 82.5 mm
Stroke: 3.65 in; 92.8 mm
Compression ratio: 10.5 : 1

The GTI/A3 2.0T
Arrangement: Front mounted, transverse
Bore: 3.2 in., 82.5 mm
Stroke: 3.70 in., 92.8 mm
Compression ratio: 10.3:1

Lewie94Passat

Car(s)
2006 Audi A3
what does imho mean???? well my friend with th a4 knows a lot about cars and his b/f has the most successful VW,Audi,Porche and Lambo tuning shop in the whole south florida and they say that the Gti clutch is better for racing....

Well my best friend's mother's cousin's nephew's girlfriend's stepfather's great grandfathers's wife knows the cousin of the nephew of the late Enzo Ferrari himself.

But hey it's always best to listen to what somebody else told ya, cuz you know they are always right about everything. Until you drive both you can't base your opinion on exactly what one person told you.

Lewie94Passat

Car(s)
2006 Audi A3
Well B7, and for AWD setups the Longitudinal engines are better. The transmission and engine will be inline with the center of gravity of the car. With the transverse engines, you notice the engine is actually off center from the center line of the vehicle. This is what causes torque steer on cars mainly because one driveshaft is longer than the other. With a longitudinal engine the driveshafts are equal length naturally, and the trans is pushed farther back underneath the car, so the weight balance over the wheels isn't as bad as engine + trans over front wheels.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
Well B7, and for AWD setups the Longitudinal engines are better. The transmission and engine will be inline with the center of gravity of the car. With the transverse engines, you notice the engine is actually off center from the center line of the vehicle. This is what causes torque steer on cars mainly because one driveshaft is longer than the other. With a longitudinal engine the driveshafts are equal length naturally, and the trans is pushed farther back underneath the car, so the weight balance over the wheels isn't as bad as engine + trans over front wheels.

thats exactly what it makes no sense. when the A4's and Passats were both on the B5's, they were both longitudinal setups, and then when A4's went to B6's and the Passat went to B5.5's, same deal, but now on the new setups they change? makes no sense, the new passat is much larger than the new A4, so space isn't an issue...

Manricky

Banned
How old are you seriously? Did you not even read my post. I stated previously that it was the longitudinal version of the 2.0T. Most of your post doesn't even make sense. From the sound of it your saying that at like 4000rpm's in an A4 something like VTECLOLZROKZOR kicks in and it walks a gti. The .2 compression ratio difference isn't going to make a difference at all. And by the way, almost all piston engines work the same if you didn't know.

And yes since it's a longitudinal engine the boost and the intake fucking obviously has to be routed differently. Then again i said the basic engine(they both use the 2.0T) is the same not the boost or intake routing. You seriously must be like 16 years old.

And different gear ratio's. Well lets see, the GTI is FWD and transverse, where as the A4's are AWD with longitudinal, so two completely different drivetrains. Thank you captain obvious.

You need to do a little more research next time buddy before you start saying everybody is wrong, then you say exactly what they did.

The differences in the longblock:

The A4 2.0T
Bore: 3.25 in; 82.5 mm
Stroke: 3.65 in; 92.8 mm
Compression ratio: 10.5 : 1

The GTI/A3 2.0T
Arrangement: Front mounted, transverse
Bore: 3.2 in., 82.5 mm
Stroke: 3.70 in., 92.8 mm
Compression ratio: 10.3:1

i was not talking to you and most a4 come fwd so stfu....the quatro is slow, me and my friend with the a4 destroy them....i dont need you to tell me the difference because i know and because i have driven both many times, you are very immature get a life...then again you live at Ohio where theres nothing too do over there. but screaming and flaming like a little flamer is fun...how old are you 8?:barf: f g b ag

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
i was not talking to you and most a4 come fwd so stfu....the quatro is slow me friend with the 14 destroyed him....i dont need you to tell me the difference because i know and because i have driven both many times, you are very immature get a life...then again you live at Ohio where theres nothing too do but scream at people and i was not being impolite you little fag...how old are you 8?:barf:

ok bud no need to get on this guy like you are. and you're wrong sir, the majority of A4's are quattro.

Manricky

Banned
ok bud no need to get on this guy like you are. and you're wrong sir, the majority of A4's are quattro.

okay i have seen like 30 fwd and 3 quattro but i dont know the exact production that arrives at florida or which one they make more.....

Aeneas05

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV BMP

Alright, since I'm started this thread maybe I better conclude it by saying unless you know the exact number of cars that come of the assembly line, let's not make general statements. Obviously dealerships in northern states are going to stock more AWD cars on the lots. There's snow around here (NY). I can't imagine someone in South Carolina wanting to sacrifice performance for AWD. Unless you are an inexperienced driver you shouldn't need AWD. Most track and autocross drivers perform RWD anyway. Besides AWD will not rule a RWD or FWD car if the driver can't drive. The interstate I was originally driving did have turns actually. I live near the Adirondacks so naturally roads around here have turn. His car whether it was AWD or not could not keep up with my GTI at all, through the turns, on the straight away. A lot of arguing about quattro vs. FWD and transmission, etc. I can't really begin to start listing states, however, I've done a few driving schools at Watkins Glen (NY) and have autocrossed for the last four years. Regardless if his car was quattro, I was a better driver. A better driver will always beat a bad driver even if it has similar specs.

Lewie94Passat

Car(s)
2006 Audi A3
manricky said:
i was not talking to you and most a4 come fwd so stfu....the quatro is slow, me and my friend with the a4 destroy them....i dont need you to tell me the difference because i know and because i have driven both many times, you are very immature get a life...then again you live at Ohio where theres nothing too do over there. but screaming and flaming like a little flamer is fun...how old are you 8? f g b ag

LOL, first off do you know how to use punctuation or correct grammar? Just listening to you talk I'm going to guess your age is 16. Majority of A4's sold are quattro. Your little brain has twisted the way you see the world. You think since you've taken one test drive in an A4 and it happened to be FWD that this must mean all of them come FWD.

And as for my immaturity, your right, I was stooping down to your level for a minute there. See the difference between me and you is your daddy bought you your GTi, where as I actually live on my own, pay my own bills, and make payments on my A3. When you get out of High School, and out of College, then you can come talk to me about maturity.

Discussion over little kid.

Last edited:

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
yeah i'm trying to find official figures, but i have lived in the northeast and the south, and both regions i have seen one FrontTrak A4 for every 4 or 5 quattros.