GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

06 mkv vs cobalt ss

kenneth_cano

kenneth
Car(s)
2006 GTI MKV
Today at a "cruise" where every car club in El paso meets up to show of their cars and just have a good time, A guy in a cobalt asked me for a run.
I asked if it was a ss or just a ls, but he kept saying "its just a 4 door cobalt".

He never answered my question if he was stock or not. We head out to the highway and take off second gear, he pulled like 5 cars before letting off. Got raped. :frown:

my mkv has evoms intake and 3" catless DP. no tune.
His cobalt obviously turbo but dont know what else he had since he never told me, will post up video tomorrow :thumbsup:

live4something

Ready to race!
I can say with confidence he was probably stock(if it was a turbo SS) i have a buddy with one (T/C SS) with catless TBH, intake, and trifecta tune @24psi and he rapes me (stg2+) from a 40 roll he sits on the rear bumper of a new 5.0 with the 5.0 pulling ever so slightly

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Never race a guy who won't be straight about what he is racing. It's a dick move people pull to make you feel like shit when they stomp you.

fastgti69

M3 Eater
Dick move for that guy, he for sure knew he'd rape you. I don't even waste my time with GTI's anymore (No offence you all still my brothers at heart.) You most likely ran with a turbo cobalt SS. I believe those are the only sedan SS's.

Since you say you're stock with no tune, he might be stock too with how many cars he pulled on you. The cobalt SS weighs 2900lbs with 260 hp and torque from factory, the GTI wighs 3100 and has 200hpand torque. So I think he was stock maybe.

Once you post that video up, I'll know everything. I'm looking on the cobalt forums for any similar stories etc to see who this guy was and If I can dig out some more info.

kenneth_cano

kenneth
Car(s)
2006 GTI MKV
Dick move for that guy, he for sure knew he'd rape you. I don't even waste my time with GTI's anymore (No offence you all still my brothers at heart.) You most likely ran with a turbo cobalt SS. I believe those are the only sedan SS's.

Since you say you're stock with no tune, he might be stock too with how many cars he pulled on you. The cobalt SS weighs 2900lbs with 260 hp and torque from factory, the GTI wighs 3100 and has 200hpand torque. So I think he was stock maybe.

Once you post that video up, I'll know everything. I'm looking on the cobalt forums for any similar stories etc to see who this guy was and If I can dig out some more info.

I think he even had two passengers and i only had my girl who recorded, when i see her today ill upload the vid.

I could even hear his tires spinning at a roll.
Any one know if i can stay with him when i go stage 2?

3.sl06MT

Stout
Car(s)
Honda Accord
I'm gonna go out on a limb here since no one mentioned it. I think the Cobalt you hung with was the SC one while the one that smoked you was turbo.

Anyway, once Stage 2 you should be able to hang with a stock TC/SS, yes.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Since no one has already mentioned it, I'm going to suavely interject my supposition that the one you hung with was SC, and the 4door was a tc'd Racecar.

You should have told him, "Man, I had no idea a Cavalier could move out like that! I'm going to have to rent one a those next time I'm at Enterprise."

Seriously though, a Cobalt SS sedan may be the sneakiest sleeper of all time. I wish they were styled better because if they didn't look like such a 90's cav I'd be tempted to buy one.

Since no one has already mentioned it, I'm going to suavely interject my supposition that the one you hung with was SC, and the 4door was a tc'd Racecar.

You should have told him, "Man, I had no idea a Cavalier could move out like that! I'm going to have to rent one a those next time I'm at Enterprise."

that made my day,hahaha

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

fastgti69

M3 Eater
I think he even had two passengers and i only had my girl who recorded, when i see her today ill upload the vid.

I could even hear his tires spinning at a roll.
Any one know if i can stay with him when i go stage 2?

If he had tires spinning from a roll then he's tuned for sure. Once you go stage 2 you'll stick with him only till the end of second gear. Once he hits third gear it's game over.

berndonfat

Ready to race!
love the cobalt ss. when i was searching for cars in 09 i went and test drove a red ss coupe and absolutely loved the performance that car offered. It was definitely catered to the enthusiast. Interior isnt that great but everything else makes up for it. Downsides for me no getting it was 5speed (no 6speed wtf) and the sticker price was a rediculous 26k with out tags and title fees. The GTI at the moment was too expensive so i got my original choice an 09 white si sedan. The car was great but unfortunately rcomps and razorkar driving caused the steering rack/subframe bolts to unwind and hook over. I wasnt down with fixing it and found a BMP 09 GTI in virginia with 26k for 15k in Virginia and jumped all over that mahfugga.

fastgti69

M3 Eater
love the cobalt ss. when i was searching for cars in 09 i went and test drove a red ss coupe and absolutely loved the performance that car offered. It was definitely catered to the enthusiast. Interior isnt that great but everything else makes up for it. Downsides for me no getting it was 5speed (no 6speed wtf) and the sticker price was a rediculous 26k with out tags and title fees. The GTI at the moment was too expensive so i got my original choice an 09 white si sedan. The car was great but unfortunately rcomps and razorkar driving caused the steering rack/subframe bolts to unwind and hook over. I wasnt down with fixing it and found a BMP 09 GTI in virginia with 26k for 15k in Virginia and jumped all over that mahfugga.

You should try to get your hands on a cobalt SS if you feel the need for raw performance lol. They're fairly cheap around the 15k area for an 09.