GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG ???????????

Dude123

Oval Champion
It is worth extra. Why? You tell me the last time an automatic was faster than a manual.

Skim Diesel

Go Kart Champion
I don't know. After I got my 6spd, my wife thought it'd be best to swap it for the DSG, so she'll be able to use it too. So, I went back to the dealer and test drove it. it's a cool system, but definitely less engaging than the manual. if you're driving in rush hour traffic then you should get it. But if you have some stretches to open her up, get the 6spd. that's my 2 cents.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Skim Diesel said:
I don't know. After I got my 6spd, my wife thought it'd be best to swap it for the DSG, so she'll be able to use it too. So, I went back to the dealer and test drove it. it's a cool system, but definitely less engaging than the manual. if you're driving in rush hour traffic then you should get it. But if you have some stretches to open her up, get the 6spd. that's my 2 cents.

I agree that the actual clutch manual is more engaging and quite fun to drive.
However, my problem with the manual in the GTI is the clutch placement.
It's too far to the right and there is not reason for it to be that way. I find using the clutch to be uncomfortable due to it's placement. It's placed better in the A3.

So, for me it will be the DSG. :biggrin:

TT

Sauceboy01 said:
Hey, maybe you can Heal and Toe your clutch with the brakes!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

that is quite funny, i did actually here (i think in the first drive) that they positioned the pedals for heel toe... i only assumed they werent reffering to the clutch brake combo:laugh: it is cool how the gas is hinged to allow for heel toe.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Sauceboy01 said:
Hey, maybe you can Heal and Toe your clutch with the brakes!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh:
:frown: The brake to throttle is set decently, although the brake pedal could be set a bit better to the same plane as the throttle pedal, which would heel-toe even better.

I know you're joking, but to be sure, the clutch isn't part of the heel-toe and doens't need to be nearer the brake.

TT

AJChenMPH

Lt. Commander, USPHS
Back on topic: from a pure performance standpoint, DSG -- no question. It shifts way faster, and when you downshift, it rev-matches beautifully and perfectly (my girlfriend has an Audi TT 3.2 w/ DSG).

Having said that -- I'm still planning on getting a manual. I love doing heel-toe downshifts and rowing through the gears myself, and now that I'm no longer in NYC, I'm finally free of traffic every single day.

Herby

Autocross Newbie
I don't necessarily have the biggest feet, but I seem to be the only one who doesn't use the heal-toe maneuver...I do what I like to call a bigtoe-little toe maneuver (theres probably a better name for it:iono: _)

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
I regular drive both versions of the GTI
My personal preference is the manual.
Most others though seems to like the DSG better.