GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK4 R32 vs MKV GTI

e36mmm

Ready to race!
Guys, as im looking forward to change my RX-7 for a GTI, i also saw the reviews of the R32 MK4. My budget can be enough for both GTI and R32 but i was just wondering the performance and power differences between the FF GTI and the AWD R32. Any figures???

Rabbitpilot

Go Kart Champion
I have driven both on a road course and I can only tell you that both are great in their own right. The R32 basically drives itself on the course and can do no wrong, great power and handling with minor modifications like sway bar and such. Not insane fast, but feels faster than it is and is VERY capable. The MKV is tossable. It's light in the rear and heavy in the front so driving like a RWD is not going to work as well due to understeer, but once you learn to trailbrake, it becomes much faster and is easy to drive as well. It is one of the best for trailbraking due to the weight balance and the front-heavy attributes can actually help with traction, especially in the wet. It was a tough choice for me because I had to decide on one or the other where as if you can afford both you will have a tough choice on which to drive to work each day.:laugh:

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
what is tailbraking?

Sophmeat

Passed Driver's Ed
nomad said:
what is tailbraking?

Letting up on the brake but still leaving some on, in order to transfer weight to the front, increasing traction on the front. The end result is that the normal understeering characteristic is changed to a more neutral behavior.

Doing this wrong can make it worse or can cause the car to spin out... so be careful with it...

e36mmm

Ready to race!
Rabbitpilot said:
I have driven both on a road course and I can only tell you that both are great in their own right. The R32 basically drives itself on the course and can do no wrong, great power and handling with minor modifications like sway bar and such. Not insane fast, but feels faster than it is and is VERY capable. The MKV is tossable. It's light in the rear and heavy in the front so driving like a RWD is not going to work as well due to understeer, but once you learn to trailbrake, it becomes much faster and is easy to drive as well. It is one of the best for trailbraking due to the weight balance and the front-heavy attributes can actually help with traction, especially in the wet. It was a tough choice for me because I had to decide on one or the other where as if you can afford both you will have a tough choice on which to drive to work each day.:laugh:

I still have no clue which one i would go for. Im leaning more on the r32 because it's rarer, faster, and has a mad exhaust tone. I looked at some of the r32's for sale and i could not find any with DSG. If i find a r32 with a DSG, i would go for that anyday then a GTI. Speaking of daily drive, im guessing gti would be better off for me but i drive a rx-7 anyway and the r32 for me would feel just like how the gti would feel in a weekly basis hehe.

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
e36mmm said:
I still have no clue which one i would go for. Im leaning more on the r32 because it's rarer, faster, and has a mad exhaust tone. I looked at some of the r32's for sale and i could not find any with DSG. If i find a r32 with a DSG, i would go for that anyday then a GTI. Speaking of daily drive, im guessing gti would be better off for me but i drive a rx-7 anyway and the r32 for me would feel just like how the gti would feel in a weekly basis hehe.

You can get a mad exhaust tone with a GTI too. The big advantage of the R32 is the quattro. I don't know if the the new Mk5 R32's come with DSG, but the Mk4s did not, if that helps at all...

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI
I don't know if the the new Mk5 R32's come with DSG, but the Mk4s did not, if that helps at all...

mkv r32's come with DSG,,,,,and the last models of the mkiv r32's also came with DSG,,,

Hokietuner

Rally Car Newbie
Personal Opinion, I would take the MKV GTI. The R32 is in a class of its own, and is more about owning the car for what it is. Don't get me wrong though, the R32 is a car that should be raced, but you'll pay more for an MK4 R32 then you will for a brand new MKV GTI. If snow is a big issue, or you're just dying to have AWD then go for it, otherwise I'd suggest the GTI.

Good luck either way

~Brett

Whafrodamus

Walnuts, bitch.
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI
Two words

Gas prices.

I'm not sure what gas prices look like for you in Australia, but I'd rather go for a nice 4 Cyl. that gets 25/32 MPG. Both the R32 and the GTI are very flexible and tunable cars, but during times like these, why not save some cash with the GTI :p?

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
I was considering the R32 as well because it so rare, and will probablly have a strong resale value. I got the MK5 and am happy as can be, I don't really need the 4-motion, and I like the overall fit and finish of the newer generation Golf. If a 2 door R-line comes to the US, I'll probablly trade up.

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
i would prefer the gti anyday of the week.

and gas prices out hre in australia are around the $1.40 avg per litre of premium fuel which is 98ron out here and that is what the gti needs.

SSS_Hoon

e36mmm

Ready to race!
Yeh fuel is a problem but at the end of the day, on both cars, you pass 3000rpm and that fuel is going to go down no matter what. I was going to say that R32 did come with DSG for the people who didn't hear about it but, it's been already said. A vw like the r32 i believe will never look old because it's the rarest model of that shape. This might sound weird but i believe the new gti would start to look old quicker than a r32 because you do not see a r32 everyday. I see the r32 as a racers car and i see the gti as a weekly car that you can have fun with whenever you want. I like both but when i saw one going up towards Mount Bulla, i absolutely watched it till it dissappeared from my vision. Im guessing the GTI won't give that feeling. Does anybody know what kind of sound system and how many speakers the r32 comes with?