GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So what is each part?

I looked under the car and can see all this below. Some people were saying that the Green is the muffler, when I'm pretty sure it's the Red. The Red is Offset, Offset. The Blue is the Cat, and the Yellow is the Resonator. So what is the Green exactly? I want to modify my exhaust need to know if I need to keep the Green. I would just run piping from the red to the tips.

mattyice

Passed Driver's Ed
you dont need to keep any of those lol, but the green and red are mufflers and i actually think that both the blue and yellow are cats im not sure though, this motor is alot more confusing then the SRT-4 engine

GTI2007

The blue is the cat and the yellow is the resonator like Technogroover said. Why would you put two cats in one exhaust? The original cat has a density of600 or 700 cpsi. So I think that one factory cat is more than enough

Sauceboy01

Touring Car Newbie
GTI2007 said:
The blue is the cat and the yellow is the resonator like Technogroover said. Why would you put two cats in one exhaust? The original cat has a density of600 or 700 cpsi. So I think that one factory cat is more than enough
Then again if you look at the WRX that thing has over 3 cats in the exhaust system.

I was thinking of getting a turboback, but in my town, the cops are apparently cracking down on modified exhaust. Yes, having a modified exhuast is LEGAL, just not over 95db. The cops don't know that and pisses me off. Anyway, I don't want anything too loud, and nothing sounding like a coffee can. I've had a cat-back and Magnaflow muffler (resonator removed). Tested at 88db, 4 over stock. Sounded nice too, wasn't loud, but sounded bery aggressive. That's what I want on here. If this 2.5" is already purring, with 2 mufflers, would it be screaming with only 1 muffler and a cat, no resonator?

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265

Last edited:

Sauceboy01

Touring Car Newbie
Cops are always cracking down on exhausts.. On my WRX i ran a Catless Turbo Back for 3 years, got pulled over for sound a couple of times, but it was an easy $10.00

So for the most part it's all hype.

mattyice

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah iu can get out of that here because they say the car's sterio system cant be louder then 95db believe me i had a 3" side exit on my first SRT that jsut had one resonator and my second one has just a high flow cat and i have yet to get in trouble

h82bslo

Autocross Newbie
just look at the printed brochure and there are two cats in this mug.
not a surprise as my 02 wrx and the 05 subaru outback have 3 cats.
just don't get caugh without them in cali...it's about a 2k fine.
i would say the first two are cats, resonator and the last one is the muffler.
well, the resonator is basically a muffler anyway.

Hokietuner said:
Everytime I open my coffee can it doesn't make any noise, Whats yours sound like?:laugh:
Please tell me you were joking. It's the sound like farting in a coffee can actually.

I was hoping for this. I was seeing what parts are really necessary. I don't want anything too loud, but not having the "resenator", will it make it really loud?