GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MPG 35.8 on urban run to work! :)

ChalkyWhite

Drag Race Newbie
Now I'm a big fan of driving fast and enjoying the car, but you can't do that all the time, and I tried driving reasonably boring today (why, you may ask?)

I was v impressed to get 35.8mpg from an 11 mile run to work, which is mainly stop-start 20mph traffic, but with one 4 mile run at about 50mph at the end.

The GTI is truly an all-rounder, superb performance on tap, but frugal if you want it. Can the same be said about the R32?

Check out the temperature reading. Nice and nippy here in sunny England today! :w00t:

Attachments

• Dsc05205.jpg
    Dsc05205.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 477

Brandon

Oval Newbie
lol...that temp is prolly what gave you the excellent consumption.

AM59Z2x31

Go Kart Newbie
1.5 is really cold :eek: IF you put a 4 in front of the 1 and that's about the temp we had in Melbourne several weeks ago! (about 106.5F).
If it got down to 1.5 thered be people dying in the streets!
By the way excellent MPG. Was this "normal" driving or did you really take it easy to get this?
Raises an interesting point, anyone in "warmer" climes have any problems with overheating? Noticed two BMWs on that day broken down, assume due to the heat.

Bouston

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 Subaru STI
Damn!! The GTI keeps giving me more & more reasons to buy it. Not like I need another reason :wink:

mk1-fan

Drag Race Newbie
35.8mpg is excellent. I get about 36mpg, but that's on the highway. In mixed driving I get about 26-28mpg.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
ChalkyWhite said:
Now I'm a big fan of driving fast and enjoying the car, but you can't do that all the time, and I tried driving reasonably boring today (why, you may ask?)

I was v impressed to get 35.8mpg from an 11 mile run to work, which is mainly stop-start 20mph traffic, but with one 4 mile run at about 50mph at the end.

The GTI is truly an all-rounder, superb performance on tap, but frugal if you want it. Can the same be said about the R32?

Check out the temperature reading. Nice and nippy here in sunny England today! :w00t:

Remember, the imperial gallon is 4.546 liters whereas the US gallon is 3.785 liters.
US gallon is .84 of an imperial gallon.
So, mpg is relative only to the unit of measure and just "gallons" expressed as "mpg".

TT

Skim Diesel

Go Kart Champion
man, I'm getting 23mpg and that's toned down during the breakin period. my GTI is definitely not on a diet.

Minimaul

Chronic Masturbator
Car(s)
e36 m3/4/5
AM59Z2x31 said:
1.5 is really cold :eek: IF you put a 4 in front of the 1 and that's about the temp we had in Melbourne several weeks ago! (about 106.5F).
If it got down to 1.5 thered be people dying in the streets!
By the way excellent MPG. Was this "normal" driving or did you really take it easy to get this?
Raises an interesting point, anyone in "warmer" climes have any problems with overheating? Noticed two BMWs on that day broken down, assume due to the heat.

It's in celsius. So, it's 'bout 41F.

°C = (°F - 32) ÷ 1.8

°F = (°C x 1.8) + 32

I live in alaska, up here it's been strangley warm lately. Just barely 30F degree's for the past month. Around Dec/Jan it was about -17F for awhile. Average is in the teens. heh.

Edit...

In winters I get about 10-12MPG. when it's warmer I get better gas milage. closer to 17. mainly because my truck doesn't need to warm up for 10 minutes and I'm never in 4WD in summer time.

ChalkyWhite

Drag Race Newbie
AM59Z2x31 said:

I didn't pay too much attention to consumption for the first two thirds of the journey as it's so stop-start, but later, rather than the usual boooooot..... smile...... I accelerated away quite normally and made good use of higher gears (except 6th which can only be used for gr8 economy if the road is very flat and you're just feathering the throttle).

On the way home i managed 25 mpg, as I thought, well, i kinda deserve a bit of fun! :biggrin:

It is gr8 that when you are in 6th on the motorway, the lack of turbo-lag and torque of the FSI does mean you don't have to think about changing down too much, if you just want a quick overtake.

AM59Z2x31

Go Kart Newbie
Chalky,
thanks for the reply. I was discussing (arguing?) MPG with my wife (or l/100kms in Aus). She was arguing that as turbo no way could get good milage, youve just proved my point that you can, if youwant to.
But hey, who wants to? But I wont tell her that!

Great post ChalkyWhite, I can vouch for the temperature her the UK as well:frown:

I've now got a delivery date for mine:w00t: 27th March, so I guess I will get it Aprils fools day, I can assure you it won't be a joke:laugh:

101st_IanC

Autocross Newbie
Congratulations Dirty Pucka on the delivery date..

My build week has slipped to Week 13 so i am not expecting it until early April.

I got rid of the TT 4 weeks ago and it is very difficult driving round in a 1.6SE.. I need the power back ;-)

Our (real) baby is due in three weeks so that should take my mind off the wait for my other new baby a bit ;-)

Chalky - one question - do you get a sound when the snowflake symbol is shown?

101st_IanC said:
Our (real) baby is due in three weeks so that should take my mind off the wait for my other new baby a bit ;-)

Congratulations mate, even Volkswagen couldn't make something as special as that:thumbsup: