GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who's coming from a non-VW car?

YenPxxx

Drag Racing Champion
I've been a VW owner for a while now and really haven't driven anything else. Are there lots of ppl here who are driving their first VW or first Golf? I'm curious what made you switch. I'm telling you though once you own the Golf u'll be hooked on it for life. :bow: Get ready for an obsession. :wub:

Mainy

Ready to race!
I've recently switched from an Audi TT but I suppose that doesn't count as its still a VAG product. Infact my last 5 cars have been either VWs or Audis :cool:

jeromy

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey i'm coming from the darkside.. BMW lol!! Actually I don't think its much of a change, the E36s should be similar to the Mk5. You know, a small nice handling box. Cant wait for these cars to arrive around me

99swift99

Go Kart Champion
I've got an A3 right now but not having much fun with it. Willing to trade-in and take a hit on the car for the GTI right now so I'll be joining you guys soon. :headbang:

Mainy

Ready to race!
99swift99 said:
I've got an A3 right now but not having much fun with it. Willing to trade-in and take a hit on the car for the GTI right now so I'll be joining you guys soon. :headbang:

I ran an A3 1.8T Sport 5 years ago before my TT. I loved my A3, it was the first car that I modded and weent on the track with :thumbup:

jonathansargent

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Yep I'm new to VW. My current car (I am picking up my Golf in two weeks) is a Toyota Celica T Sport- which is a lot of fun - valve lift at 6200 revs and goers on up to aboput 8500. Think I will have to get used to driving a bit differntly. But the Golf really impresed me on my test drive - plus there's space in the back for people - not legless children!

I have loved my Celica - but its time to move on - and I am really looking forward to it...:thumbup:

hipstomper

Go Kart Newbie
Jumping ship from the Honda hatchback world to the VW hatchback world and I hope it's a good decision :) Not a fan of the newest Civics but really fond of the new Golfs

ChalkyWhite

Drag Race Newbie
Used to drive an MG MGF 1.8 152bhp Variable valve non-turbo. 0-60 about 7 secs dead, but makes a lot of noise to get there. Pretty reliable for a Brit car, MGs get unfair press which helped lead to their untimely demise.

The GTI is effortless, plenty of torque thanks to the turbo and FSI combination. :burnrubber:

My wife now drives the MG, but I borrow it from time to time to enjoy rear-wheel drive antics! :smile:

ChalkyWhite

Drag Race Newbie
MAlby7 said:
I'm in a 2000 Ford Focus right now and man will this GTI be a step up for me!

My mate drives a Focus RS over here in Blighty, it's a smidge quicker than the GTi, and looks the part with all those bodywork mod's, but it's renowned for its torque-steer, with all that power going through front wheels, bit like the new Vauxhall Opel Astra VXR - 240bph (Boxster territory! :eek: )

Cheers, Chalky

illusion

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I've been into the GTI for aslong as I can remember. I'm currently driving a 1990 Mazda Miata (first car, 16th birthday gift to myself). Great first car, had lots of fun with it and definetly got my moneys worth ($800 :p) out of it. I've now saved up enough money to put down a decent payment but I'm waiting for all the hype to settle down a bit because the local dealer here thinks he can screw people with a $3000 mark up. As much as I want a GTI right now, I think I can wait a few more months for a good deal. I had my dad test drive it for his approval and he approved. GTI coming to illusion in July.

kazyce

Ready to race!
illusion said:
I've been into the GTI for aslong as I can remember. I'm currently driving a 1990 Mazda Miata (first car, 16th birthday gift to myself). Great first car, had lots of fun with it and definetly got my moneys worth ($800 :p) out of it. I've now saved up enough money to put down a decent payment but I'm waiting for all the hype to settle down a bit because the local dealer here thinks he can screw people with a $3000 mark up. As much as I want a GTI right now, I think I can wait a few more months for a good deal. I had my dad test drive it for his approval and he approved. GTI coming to illusion in July.

Glad to see a young guy have the patience to wait out the first few months :thumbsup: Good things come to those who wait :)

Had various motors over the years, always had a couple of old classic Volkswagens (currently these are a Beetle & Karmann Ghia)

I'm going from a 1.9 TDi (100 BHP) Polo to the new GTI, my Polo has more torque and quicker 0-60 than the Polo GTI so its certainly not slow but I can't wait for that 200 bhp:thumbsup:

One of my favourite non Volkswagen was the Vauxhall Calibra 4x4 2.0 Turbo, I had it direct from Vauxhall, didn't realise but it was chipped and pumped out around 280 bhp and it was seriously quick! Trouble was the engine just wasn't upto it, at around 40,000 miles I had problems with the 4 x 4 system and engine management - hence why I sold it:wink:

101st_IanC

Autocross Newbie
I have just sold my Audi TT as my first child is due in 7 weeks

Before that I had an Audi A3 1.8T.

I have also had a Mark I and a Mark III Golf

I had a Peugeot 205 GTI many years ago which was huge fun.. until the engine expired at 135,000 miles