GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Mileage Driver + GTI = Bad Idea?

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
tydale3 said:
5 years 60,000 on the powertrain says it all, if honda is so reliable why do they only offer 3 year or 36,000.

Honda has a 5 yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty as well.

tydale3 said:
Besides civics are a dime a dozen, not everybody has a FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not everybody has the Si model Civic either.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Relax everybody.....it's ok. I have a GTI and I love it. But at the same time Slowride and others have a valid point. If you look up (do research like you were asked) anything about VW you will see they do have a fairly high incidence of electrical problems. Get over it, it's true. However, it did not deter me from buying one. I plan on keeping the car until it is paid off and under warranty and then I'll buy the next latest and greatest. I love my GTI! Don't let the facts get under your skin. If you haven't had a problem yet then that's great. But chances are ssome people here are going to have electrical issues...and it's going to be at a higher percentage then the other car company. That's ok, this thing has a million bells and whistles so that's to be expected.

lordofmercy

Passed Driver's Ed
For the Si, you gotta rev it all the way upto 5000rpm for the vtec to kick in, and soon after it does, you're at the redline. As for the GTI, you have the power of turbo available from 1800 rpm. Thought I'd mention that since nobody else did.
Also, I think it ultimately comes down to CLASS.
Umpimp it, ya?

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
lordofmercy said:
For the Si, you gotta rev it all the way upto 5000rpm for the vtec to kick in, and soon after it does, you're at the redline. As for the GTI, you have the power of turbo available from 1800 rpm. Thought I'd mention that since nobody else did.
Also, I think it ultimately comes down to CLASS.
Umpimp it, ya?

5800 RPM actually.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
VTEC stands for VrooomTEC ;-)

SpitfireCole

Car(s)
2007 VW GTI MkV
I'm new to the forum, and to VW ownership, but I have to admit that I'm amused by how much the folks on the board here are worried about Civic Si's. It looks downright like a complex.

You'll never see me disrespect Hondas. They are great cars, and I've owned and loved driving a few (Integra, Prelude, Civic). Never had a single problem with one of the three over the course of 14 years, which is awesome.

I traded in a 2005 Nissan Z because it broke down on me three times in the 18 months that I owned it. Chances are, I'll never own another Nissan.

Traded the Z for a 2007 GTI Mk V. and I imagine it'll land somewhere between the Honda and the Nissan in reliability. In my mind, the car has less to do with the driving experience than the driver, e.g. your technique, outlook, etc.

jpyattmba

f3llatio
Car(s)
2007 CW package 2 wi
i cannot speak for my mkv which i have only had for a month, but my mk4 TDI i drove 28,000 miles last year and didnt have a single problem with. i bought the new mkv hoping this experience will duplicate.

sniperviperman

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
none
urm, I don't know how you all do it, but when I drive my MK5 GTI here in europe on the freeway, I get mileages between 40 and 55 miles/gallon. I use BP Ultimate 98 octane. This week I got new software and the mileage went even better. I was driving 62 miles/hour on the cruise control for an hour and the mileage was near 55 miles/gallon. so this is very close to a diesel.

Walking Shade R1

in the market
Car(s)
2004 Yamaha YZF-R1
Quite the opposite actually...9 out of 10 magazines rate the Civic Si higher than the GTi. So far the only magazine that I've read to which rated the GTi higher was a euro magazine...

As far as overall packaging in concerned...the Si wins...

However...I know I can purchase a new GTI for under invoice price...and Honda has refused to discount the car one red cent due to supply and demand...I would never pay sticker for ANY automobile...not even a Honda.

The GTi is a unique looking vehicle...the Si is too flashy for my taste...
As far as engineering is concerned...the Si wins...out performing the GTi without a turbo...

With that being said...I don't expect Porsche performance from either vehicles...this will be my daily driver...

What many of you fail to realize is that both American and German automakers are losing sales to the Japanese...and every year it gets worse.

Even with VWs superb advertising...they simply are not selling...you can take advantage of this if you want a VW...

I don't care what the VW salesman says...I wouldn't pay anything but invoice for a VW in this market today.

Last edited:

R D

Ready to race!
Read this !!!

Quite the opposite actually...9 out of 10 magazines rate the Civic Si higher than the GTi. So far the only magazine that I've read to which rated the GTi higher was a euro magazine...

As far as overall packaging in concerned...the Si wins...

However...I know I can purchase a new GTI for under invoice price...and Honda has refused to discount the car one red cent due to supply and demand...I would never pay sticker for ANY automobile...not even a Honda.

The GTi is a unique looking vehicle...the Si is too flashy for my taste...
As far as engineering is concerned...the Si wins...out performing the GTi without a turbo...

With that being said...I don't expect Porsche performance from either vehicles...this will be my daily driver...

What many of you fail to realize is that both American and German automakers are losing sales to the Japanese...and every year it gets worse.

Even with VWs superb advertising...they simply are not selling...you can take advantage of this if you want a VW...

I don't care what the VW salesman says...I wouldn't pay anything but invoice for a VW in this market today.

Hi

X2
(VW may or may not have a good product in the MKV GTI but without the structure to back it up sale/service it is nothing as they say you are as strong as your weakest link)
oh some intresting reading with this link

http://www.myvwlemon.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000150.html

R D

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
hi omg, dang this is some resurrection from hell. and it seems like you are just dogging on the GTI, fair enough.

i love my car, i havent had a manufacturer problem that didnt cause my car to run PERIOD.

this as a highway car is great. very solid vehicle.

mkvgtiTX

TEXAS
I went with the 2006 Si, as some of my fans here know. This is far from a boring car to drive, and you don't have to take my word for it...every review says that.

When it came down to it, considering how well a 6 speed Si competes to a 6 speed GTI, I took resale value and reliability and performance.

the GTI out performs the si anyday:thumbup: