GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alternative to RNS-510 Navigation/Bluetooth...

Panman

Frequent Modder
Thanks for the update Lenny.

Icacha,

Maybe you can help out with the next question.

Do you know if the Parrot Bluetooth system that came with my car can somehow override the bluetooth system that comes with the AVC9000 unit?

Ie. Can the bluetooth on the AVC unit be disabled.

If it could - I would get the unit in a heartbeat.

Maybe thats a question for the retailer though....will email him and let you guys know what his answer is.

Same question from me, I have the Parrot kit fitted and am happy with it. I also have an aux input for my Zune (MP3 Player) so would like to know if that is compatible.

I guess another question to ask is if it is plug-compatible with the factory units. that should solve most issues?

GTI_future

Passed Driver's Ed
Depends on how extra....extra is:iono: 3k??? + bluetooth, + ipod..?

dont get me wrong, i am happy with the unit and did i expect all items to work like above mentioned unit...no anything else was a bonus...

Much better than a tomtom stuck on the windscreen that i have to remove so some junkie does not decide to pop a hole in the windscreen!!!

Does the Route66 come with RED LIGHT CAMERA file in it?

SR32

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MY08 R32 5Dr 6Spd
Have emailed the wholesaler/retailer and will post up his feedback once I get an answer.

Lenny,

What is the sound quality like? (music)

Do you have the 250W amp under the passenger seat? (pretty sure you do)

Sorry for all the questions...pretty hungry for info atm! :bow: :drool: :biggrin:

lenny

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
yes i have the amp.

Sound is much louder than stock. i think the unit servers as a bit of a pre-out boost....I have had to turn down the base and treble a bit. Also there is no mid range adjustment anymore.

No probs with the questions...u keep asking and i will try and answer....i have only used the unit for 2 hours last night though.

lenny

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
no name as there is no local phone book for the system to access....

As for the number being displayed i will have to check that one tonight for you. or someone else with the unit could answer this now..?

misterstig

Ready to race!
no name as there is no local phone book for the system to access....

As for the number being displayed i will have to check that one tonight for you. or someone else with the unit could answer this now..?

Lenny,Is the plastic finish on the unit the same as the existing color of the surrounding area? Just hoping it looks all nice and seamless color wise.

Cheers

FattyBoomba

Live life in the R Lane!
Car(s)
Golf R32 Mark V
AVC-9000 Mini Review
=================

Auspack Electronics have begun distribution of the AVC-9000 headunit which is a “clone” replacement of the RNS-510 from VW.

I have mixed feelings about the AVC-9000, but only because I was hoping for the sort of overall quality that comes with an Alpine headunit or similar.

Don’t let this put you off from buying one and I will explain why shortly (ie. Sound Quality is excellent.. more later)

Beeping Sounds – Very annoying!
========================
Beeping Sound when you press any or all buttons. This is very annoying at first, because no matter what buttons you press on this unit, including volume up or down at small increments even, your speakers belt out a mid volume Beep! No where in the setup is this able to be turned off at all. What the hell!

iPod Charging – (Won’t work with the latest generation iPods for charging)
======================================================
Latest generation iPod’s which include the 6th Generation iPod Classic, iPod Touch, iPod Nano – Fatboy, and iPhone’s do not charge at all when connected to the ipod interface connector cable from the headunit.

Therefore when these latest generation iPod’s are connected to the headunit, it will only use the internal battery for ipod use, thus depleting the ipod battery in it’s usual expected time of several hours at best before you have to take the iPod out and re-connect it to your computer for charging up.

This is NOT an issue with all the previous generation iPod’s, as they do charge when connected, and so can be left in the glove box indefinitely without having to pull them out periodically for charging.

Since I only owned a latest generation iPod Touch, my solution for this was to buy the previous generation iPod (80 GB) from the Apple Store (Re-furbished stock with full warranty) for $309 and fill it up with music to become my permanent jukebox in the glove box… So YES. it does now charge when connected, and so can stay in the glove box permanently

iPod User Interface (Terribly slow - unless you use the remote control which is great!)
===========================================================
This frankly leaves a lot to be desired in terms of how you get around with the onscreen controls being clunky at best, and quite slow to respond when touching the cursors for up and down movement from the onscreen menu.

I found a way around this though, that proves to be quite the opposite experience in terms of speed. That is to use the supplied remote control to navigate through the menus. This is a way quicker method to navigate through the artists/albums/songs hierarchy of the typical iPod menu. To give some credit to the manufacturer where it’s due though, and that is that the the artist name, album name and song name appears correctly, and with no delay in terms of showing the information as soon as it is clicked upon or entered into a new menu.

My previous Alpine headunit with iPod interface kit would take several seconds to display track information or menu information when selecting changes (it was 3 years old).

iPod Music Quality
==============
This is where the unit SHINES.. I have not in all my years of various headunits and ipod interface kits heard such high output levels whilst sounding relatively clear and free of distortion from an iPod as can be!

To clarify this point, let me be specific.

This unit seems to have excellent quality DA converter chips inside, which result in an iPod music quality that is amongst the best I have ever heard. The sensitivity is a lot higher than the factory headunit from VW, resulting in output levels which are at least 50% higher thatn the factory headunit.

Therefore this is a double edged sword, because on the one hand you can now push the volume levels of your factory amplifier built into the MY07 GTi even higher (50% higher to the human ear), but at the same time, you can now start to push your amplifier into the distortion levels that become apparent only when at 75% volume or higher, which can damage your speakers over prolonged use at much higher volume levels.

The factory VW headunit with VW ipod interface adaptor can not seem to push the amplifier to similar distortion levels when playing from an iPod.

I can tell you which way I prefer to listen to my iPod, and that is with the AVC-9000 and it’s excellent sounding quality together with the iPod connector at much higher volume levels! Discretion advised on volume levels of course, so as not to damage your speakers.

Radio Music Quality (Fantastic Quality Sound!)
===================================
This is undoubtedly the biggest positive surprise of them all in terms of quality.

Again just like the iPod sensitivity levels that were very high output levels, the FM Radio has amongst the highest output levels of any FM headunit radio I have ever heard..

The AVC900 is much louder than the factory headunit from VW as a comparison when using FM Radio, therefore providing much higher volume levels and the bass and treble levels sound more enjoyable (musical and close to CD quality) to listen to compared to the stock VW Fm Radio unit which sounds a little lifeless in comparison.

The only reservation is that the signal strength on weaker FM radio stations can be a bit crackly at times, with stations like 96.1FM breaking up occasionally.

Other “major” radio FM stations have no issue at all.. 96.9, 104.1, 104.9 105.7, 106.5 etc and even Vega Fm all sounded Terrific, and never once crackled on signal strength.

iPod Video (Does not work BUT what a great bonus side effect it give you!)
=======================================================
This function when pressed does not actually work at present. BUT it does have an interesting side effect which I will call a positive though unintended feature!

When Video iPod mode is selected, you all of a sudden have the ability to control the ipod as per normal ipod controls and menus. Therefore you can scroll quickly through your playlists and artists, tracks etc and quickly select what you want and play it without the beeping that was mentioned above. You can of course select iPod videos to play, though these videos simply playback on the ipod screen and not on the headunit display, but the audio always comes out through the main speakers.

When playing ipod audio tracks via this “iPod video mode” and via controlling the ipod manually you don’t get to see anything on the headunit screen .. ie blank blue screen, but you do see the track names etc on the ipod.

Bluetooth Phone Volume (Annoying to change volume just to talk)
================================================
This actually works ok as would be expected of any Bluetooth phone device, but the only complaint is that you have to put the volume on the headunit right up to 25+ (around 40 is maximum) to actually clearly hear the person you are talking to when you are in the car. On a positive note, the clarity on my Nokia N95 via the headunit simply good, but not excellent as are some of the Bluetooth units available nowadays, which are dedicated to the task.

To be honest, I think the only reason the driver sounds a bit distant compared to dedicated units, is the fact that the microphone is located on the actual headunit, all the way down in the car console.

To remedy this, I found that talking a little louder than normal car kits with dedicated microphones up near the sunvisor, and there is no issue with the other party hearing you properly at all.

Source Menu System (Inconsistent and a little frustrating)
============================================
When pressing the SRC button on the left hand side, you will find that it takes you to the main selection screen for all the various functions of the unit. Including TV Tuner, DVD, Ipod, Bluetooth Car Phone, Radio, Auxiliary, USB etc.

There is some inconsistency in how these sources can be selected depending upon which mode you are already in.

By that I mean, if you already are in a particular mode, and you press SRC.. sometimes this does not work and take you back to the selection screen. To work around this you press the middle of the onscreen display and it always shows you a cursor menu system including some of the sources mentioned above, and one of these will get you out and back into source selection screen.

FattyBoomba

Live life in the R Lane!
Car(s)
Golf R32 Mark V
TV Tuner (Don’t bother on this)
=======================
I have had confirmation from the distributor and from my own professional installer that the TV Tuner function being only Analogue tuner, is not appropriate to use in practice. For instance, when stationary you tend to pickup only two tv stations at best and then that depends on your location as well. Quality is also what you would expect of analogue tv when not having a major aerial installed.. Crappy..

I don’t think anyone in their right mind would expect this to be a sought after feature or a reason to purchase the AVC-9000. Forget it for TV.. don’t even bother!

DVD Player (Works quite well..sounds Fantastic!)
====================================
Is anyone really interested in playing DVD’s in the car when stationary? If you are then it works as expected.. no complaints here. The unit will not play DVD’s if moving though, and this to be expected of all head units under our driving laws.

CD Player (Takes it’s time to recognise, but sounds fantastic!)
=============================================
This is a feature that made me think is it working? Until I literally had to wait about 30-40 seconds before it recognised the CD was not really a DVD, and could be played whilst driving. In those 30 seconds of waiting for the CD to be played, it displayed the generic “DVD” warning message about having to be stationary before playing a DVD.

Quality of the CD Player is surprisingly Fantastic, and sounds even better than the factory headunit from VW.

Satellite Navigation
===============
This works as advertised and cannot be faulted. It utilises Route 66 software with maps sourced from Quarter 3 of 2007.

It has some nice features such as the ability to play music from any source, whilst at the same time, press the NAV button to see where you are going and listen to music, mixed in with occasional voice commands on where you need to turn etc. I like this feature and it mixed it’s volume levels transparently, so that you did not even notice it was from two different audio sources.

USB Feature
=========

I have not tested this myself, though others have commented that music on the USB stick can only be played in sequential order from A to Z.. there is no Shuffle! AND it apparently takes up to 30 seconds to scan the USB stick before being able to play it for music purposes.

SD Memory Feature
===============
This I can confirm will accept memory sticks up to maximum 2GB in size (formatted in FAT16 for the tech heads out there) and as a result you can store more than just the maps and route 66 software on this stick if you wish. The default software and maps take up about 350MB, leaving 1.6GB Free on a 2GB stick. The headunit comes standard with 1GB SD Memory card, though you can easily transfer the contents of this to your computer desktop and then format a 2GB card like I have and put these maps/software back onto the new card with additional free space for movie files.

I have tried playing storing and playing back two different xvid movies (both 699MB) from the SD card, and can confirm that you can play the movie in full screen with a proper media player like, progress bar on the screen in order to jump to different parts of the movie.. Very Nice!

Reverse Camera
============
I chose to install this reverse camera into my lower rear bumper (just above the exhaust) and can say that it works as advertised. The only thing to say about it is that they chose to supply the cheaper type of camera instead of the higher quality CCD cameras. This casues the initial turn on of the camera to show a “flare up” effect, while the camera becomes used to the surrounding light levels. This delays your image by up to 2 seconds before being usable. No Big problem in my book. Recommended!

Conclusion
========
Despite all the negatives this unit has as per above comments, I have to say that the pricepoint of $899 on its own simply justifies the purchase of the AVC-9000 as a replacement of the factory head unit from VW.

Let’s not even start to compare the value aspect of this AVC-9000 compared to the RNS-510 factory SATNAV headunit which costs $3,000 plus all other extra’s coming to a total price of well over $4,000 plus installation!

You get way too many features on this unit for $899, with excellent sound quality that has to be heard to be believed.. This alone, is worth the price of admission!

I hope you enjoyed my review, and I trust it will help you in deciding whether it is appropriate for your GTI.

Cheers

FattyBoomba
(Nick)

FattyBoomba

Live life in the R Lane!
Car(s)
Golf R32 Mark V
Some Pics from my review above..

Cheers

FattyBoomba

Attachments

• P1040281.JPG
    P1040281.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 4,683
  • P1040285.JPG
    P1040285.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 5,007
  • P1040287.JPG
    P1040287.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 4,608

mrx

Connoisseur
Car(s)
2007 CW Golf GTI 5dr
Phone button does not work

Glad I didn't fork out for one of these things then, the integrated bluetooth functionality was the main thing I wanted. How hard could it be to make the phone button work when they already have the volume buttons working?!

GTI_future

Passed Driver's Ed
thank you FattyBoomba, after reading your comprehensive review, it should be able to make up many people mind whether is worth invest into this unit...:w00t: