GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

shift delay in DSG.

gh172

Ready to race!
Mine is great in Drive, and it's seems to be better with the paddle shift in the first few gears when accelerating a little harder but the delays seem to get worse on light acceleration in the later gears. The actual change is fast, it's the delay between the activating the paddle and the shift change.

captainslow

Mr Oversteer
when you move it fron D to +/- there is a delay, that's normal. like -m- pointed out, in other cases it's the shift at wrong time, which can take up to 3-5secs from what i experienced.

mine also had dodgy pedals and control unit changed, depends on how old your car is that's hard to say, but the stealer can check for you for sure.

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Tried to replicate the slow shifting as stated above today - and basically confirmed what I've thought/said before.

DSG uses some fuzzy logic to determine what it will do.
Bear in mind that on a downshift it needs to rev match for a clean/quick shift. If it's not there, then it has to increase the revs before a shift, slowing it down. Don't forget that it takes longer to increase revs when you're sitting at 1200rpm as compared to 2500rpm+

As for usphift, you can catch it out depending on throttle position and action. For example, if you try to upshift as you release throttle, the DSG will take longer to upshift as it's confused. Don't forget that if you are upshifting, it generally means to want to increase speed (as different from accelerate faster) - and releasing throttle doesn't add up for the DSG. Of course if you are higher up the rev range, then the delay is less for an upshift. If you are low throttle, low rev range and releasing throttle as you upshift - it will take a damn long time to shift. BUT don't forget, so would you in a manual under the same conditions (same actions required).

In summary - the DSG's thought process (based on my observations):

Downshift
"Uh downshift, eh?"
Am I going to do something stupid (like change to 8000rpm)?
NO = continue on.

Am I at the correct revs for shift
NO = release clutch, rev up, transfer to clutch with new gear
YES = transfer clutch immediately (i.e. 8ms)

Upshift
"Wanna go faster eh?"
Will I stall?
NO = continue

Was I thinking you would downshift based on experience?
NO = continue
YES = oops, select correct gear on alternate shaft
THEN = release clutch and transfer to alternate clutch with new gear instantly (i.e. 8ms)

DSG Status/Action list based on throttle position/throttle action:

Low/Release
"Slowing down" :frown: - might need to downshift, will need to increase revs but hell it'll take a while to get to the right revs

Low/Steady
"Cruising" :cool: - selected alternate gear dependant on rev range, i.e. high = higher selected, low = lower selected

Low/Increasing
"Speeding up" :smile: - get ready for upshift

Mid+/Release
"Slowing down" :fighting0030: - might need to downshift, will need to increase revs but I can do it quickly

Mid+/Steady
"Cruising" :headbang: - might speed up = get ready for upshift

Mid+/Increasing
"Going quick!" :burnrubber: - get ready to upshift; but if I have to downshift it's ok too as he/she is already increasing revs

I'm happy to modify this if it's incorrect, but as you can see from the logic the DSG doesn't usually get it wrong.
It's just the real world sometimes forces us humans to make different/dumb decisions!

Have fun testing it out, I'm sure you will notice that changes higher up in the rev range are quicker then those lower down when you "catch out" the DSG.

gh172

Ready to race!
Thanks for that feedback, much appreciated. From what you've said, it sounds like my gearbox is acting just as it should be which is good to know.