GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - Forge Atmosheric Blow Off Valve Install

VAG 2.0T Fsi Atmospheric dump valve.
Tools required : - Vehicle ramp or Jack and axle stands.
4mm Allen socket, ratchet, extension.

Warning…be careful not to let any foreign body enter the inlet tract of the vehicle whilst the fitting procedure is being carried out. Severe Turbo and/or engine damage may occur if this is not adhered to.

1/ Raise the vehicle and locate the standard electronic recirculation valve located in the underside of the Turbo intake pipe. Remove the electrical connection as per the larger arrow. Then remove the 3x 5mm cap head bolts as per the smaller arrow. The electrical solenoid valve can now be removed.

2/ Now fit the new atmospheric valve into the aperture left in the turbo by the standard electronic valve. Refit the stock valve over the top of the Forge atmospheric valve and secure using the 3x new m6X35mm cap head bolts.
Refit the electrical connection to the solenoid valve. Remove all tools form the vehicle. You are now ready to use your new Forge Motorsport product.

Engineered for Performance.
Note, Due to the ECU controlled nature of the standard electronic diverter valve you may experience longer than expected operations of the atmospheric valve under certain operating conditions. This is not a fault in any way, the ECU controls the turbo pressure via the solenoid valve in order to improve driveability and soften the take up of power. In the same way you may also experience non operation of the valve under enthusiastic gear changes, this is also not a fault. It is determined by the ECU that the recirculation is not required at this point due to the rapid re-appliance of the throttle.

FROM FORGEMOTORSPORT.COM

Scotaku

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Are there any performance gains with this gadget or is it just a noisemaker?

Brandon

Oval Newbie
Just a noise maker from what i can tell.

GTI2007

With the Forge BOV? Did the guy just let it put in and let changed nothing into the ECU? Cause the guy I speak of has let it install by a chiptuner and propably also let them rewrite the settings in the ECU a little for this BOV

Scotaku

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I've looked back into this again. I'm having a hard time believing any measurable gains can be had from increasing the gap of the stock boost recirculation valve as this trinket does. When closed, boost levels will be identical unless some of the firmware has been altered as suggested. When open, this gadget will allow excess boost to vent into open air making a cute noise, but little else. Actually, instead of venting back into the turbo as the original design specifies, the lost boost will probably induce the turbo to stall... and require more from the engine to overcome lag.

Yep. Noisemaker.

black2.0t

Drag Race Newbie
the whole point of a BOV to stop back boost, when you get on the gas and then let off to shift the throttle is closed so the remaining boost inside the intake pipe needs to be released through the BOV, you may lose power because the gti was made to use this remaining boost and not release it, this really reduces turbo lag, the 2.0T was designed around the turbo

GTI2007

If the throttle valve closes when the engine is in overrun (when you let go of the accelerator or shift into an other gear), back pressure develops in the turbo housing. Back pressure reduces the speed of the turbine, which reduces boost pressure and increases turbo lag when the engine accelerates again. To avoid this, the turbo recirculating valve (sort of diverter valve) is opened. This allows the compressed air to flow back to the intake side of the circuit through the turbine to maintain turbine speed. That's how it normally works but if you increase the amount of intake air by installing a much better intake the turbo recirculating valve could become to small to recirculate all the excessive compressed air and then a BOV comes in handy

Dubdr

Rally Car Champion
GTI2007 said:
If the throttle valve closes when the engine is in overrun (when you let go of the accelerator or shift into an other gear), back pressure develops in the turbo housing. Back pressure reduces the speed of the turbine, which reduces boost pressure and increases turbo lag when the engine accelerates again. To avoid this, the turbo recirculating valve (sort of diverter valve) is opened. This allows the compressed air to flow back to the intake side of the circuit through the turbine to maintain turbine speed. That's how it normally works but if you increase the amount of intake air by installing a much better intake the turbo recirculating valve could become to small to recirculate all the excessive compressed air and then a BOV comes in handy

GREAT POST!!!! :thumbup:

Sickspeed06

Ready to race!
i don't know about VW but with my MSprotege the only way to run an atmospheric BOV was to relocate the MAFS to the cold IC pipe. this is because the air that was diverted through the stock unit was recirculated back into the intake AFTER the MAFS. this meant that if you were to run atmospheric blowoff the air was being read by the MAFS but then dumped causing a rich condition and idle bog/stalling/reallyfreakinannoying.

does the same apply to my new GTi? will the atmospheric ventilation cause stalling or anything? i'll see if i can find a picture on my old forum of the mazdaspeed.

now that i look sorry for the ressurected post. i feel like a tard noob!

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
i don't know about VW but with my MSprotege the only way to run an atmospheric BOV was to relocate the MAFS to the cold IC pipe. this is because the air that was diverted through the stock unit was recirculated back into the intake AFTER the MAFS. this meant that if you were to run atmospheric blowoff the air was being read by the MAFS but then dumped causing a rich condition and idle bog/stalling/reallyfreakinannoying.

does the same apply to my new GTi? will the atmospheric ventilation cause stalling or anything? i'll see if i can find a picture on my old forum of the mazdaspeed.

nice bump of an old post.

this is no way a BOV, its just a space that goes between the Recirvulative valve and the turbo, and it hs a few holes to make the SHHHHHHHH sounds.

thats all.

alf

Sickspeed06

Ready to race!
thanks for the info, so no stalling. i just still think it's be wise not to atmospherically vent air that the MAF is reading. or is it a different electronic signal in VW's?